Feedback and DSRs as a tool for corrective action

Is it permitted, advisable, worthwhile, to contact buyers who leave low DSRs and ask them to elaborate on the reasons behind the low score, so that the information can be used to improve item descriptions in future?

Cheers,

Penny
Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

It's actually against eBay policy to try to figure out who left what DSR, or to "question" a buyer about a DSR (that's the actual wording of it in the user agreement - "question" the buyer).

With that said, you can get around it by wording your message to the buyer carefully (eg: don't ask a question).

One of my buyers left me a 1 for item description awhile ago. Our messages went like this:

Me: "I can see that you have left me a DSR of 1 for item description"

Them:  "yes, the item was smaller than I thought."

Me: "The dimensions of the item are in the description, though."

Them: "You can have eBay remove it if you want."

So I contacted eBay . . . and they gave me the spiel about not being allowed to question buyers about a DSR. I pointed out that I didn't actually "question" the buyer. They removed the low DSR and I received no penalty.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Did that after receiving a negative over a $2 game, got no reply. Feedback was "Disc was so scratched it didnt even work", despite the game having no read errors and working perfectly on two different consoles.
Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Why would it be against the rules to try to work out who left low stars when they provide us with the tools to do it?  The new reports even show us images of the item and the sale date so there is no working out required.  They also tell us we should use this information to help us improve as a seller, but to do that we need to know why the low stars were left.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

@pennyforum14 wrote:

Why would it be against the rules to try to work out who left low stars when they provide us with the tools to do it?  The new reports even show us images of the item and the sale date so there is no working out required.  They also tell us we should use this information to help us improve as a seller, but to do that we need to know why the low stars were left.

I haven't used reports lately, but I do remember hearing that DSRs would no longer be anonymous at some point, so this is probably what they meant.

I'm pretty sure it's still prohibited to question a buyer about their DSR, and the message used to be on the actual report page.

ETA: It's still there: "It is against eBay policy to question buyers about the ratings they left" with a link: http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/feedback-manipulation.html

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

I leave a  succinct followup to their feedback and block them.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Hi Pennyforum:  How exactly can I identify the exact DSR given from a buyer.  I've been unable to find this.  Cheers

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

DAshboard>Performance>For more details, create a transaction defect report.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Spot on.

If they leave low DSR's with no contact beforehand, block them.

This is not personal, it is simply a matter of survival, doesn't take too many defects to kill your business stone dead and if they did it once, they could do it again.

This is what eBay has come to for sellers these days with their lovely defect system: just trying to survive...

I would bet that at least 50% of low DSRs are left accidentally by people either using small mobile devices which does not show the whole screen, or not even realising they did it.

Over the past year I have got about 15 defects, of which about 10 were unexpected.

All the ones I could be bothered to contact about it had no complaint and no understanding that they had caused a defect on my account.

Did not bother to try and get them removed, too much torture..

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member
Thats weird. I have been contacting almost every buyer who leaves low stars for years. Ebay had been directly involved in several of those communications, and read the emails, and they have never said anything to me about it being against policy. Ive had many defects removed this way.
Basically I say to the buyer, I noticed you left positive comment with low stars, did you know that three or less stars causes a defect, and was it an accident, if so please let us know.. if it was left on purpose please let us know if theres anything we can do to improve our listings or service so we can provide the best experience for buyers in the future. Simples.

Maybe half of them say it was a mistake or that they didnt know it gave a defect, and thought thre stars meant "average".

I think Ebays concern there is sellers getting upset by a defect and being aggressive or unprofessional with the buyer.... not just questioning them altogether.
Message 10 of 15
Latest reply