Fine Jewellery Category??

Hi, according to what I have read in eBay help, the fine jewellery category should be limited to Genuine Gold or Silver items with/without Genuine Natural Stones - is that still the rule?

eg I thought that:

Gold Jewellery with simulated stones

Gold Layered / Plated jewellery with genuine diamonds

Gold Plated ./ Layered with no stones

etc

should NOT be listed in Fine Jewellery Category... am I right or wrong??

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Fine Jewellery Category??

I don't know 100% but from what I have read here rabbit what you are right.

Unfortunately not all sellers realise or if they do they don't care or do not know how to make the distinction.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Yes, that's what I thought - unless the rules have changed recently.?:|

If not, there are literally hundreds of listings that are in the wrong category then.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

those sellers know they are doing the wrong thing and if any of them come to the forums and you mention what they are doing you will get reported to ebay, so not only do they get away with it they also stifle all discussion/debate of the situation.

I would like to say a lot more on the topic but I also want to be able to keep posting.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

It is really frustrating the way the Fine Jewellery Category is abused and used.  More than half the items are Fashion Jewellery and another 25% are costume jewellery.  I only search the site for Pre-owned and that way one is able to filter out a lot of rubbish.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Unfortunately ebay is too busy chasing down"serious" issues such as the odd accidental duplicate listing to waste their time on ensuring that their main rules are enforced.

You'd think that an organisation which supposedly has a system that can automatically identify duplicate listings could also apply that technology to identifying the words "gold plated" in the fine jewellery category.

Oh hang on - we can all do that .... I just entered "gold plated" into the eBay search engine and got 6084 items in the fine jewellery category with those words in the title.  

I once tried to list a sticker of a cat in the pet category and it wouldn't let me because of the letters "TICK" in sticker - apparently tick treatments are not allowed to be listed so the listing was blocked right at the start (once I called it a decal I was OK). If that can be done then you would think the same logic could be applied to the words "gold plated" in the titles in fine jewellery.

Then again ... this is eBay and "logic" is different.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply