First negative feedback

Hi everyone, 

I am new to selling on eBay and I've received my first negative feedback and wanted some guidance. 

Most of my items I'm currently selling are new or pre-owned and I make sure to leave as much details as possible and take accurate photos. 

A buyer purchased a pre-owned pair of Lipstik heels last month. They were in good condition and everything I listed on the description and photos were accurate. 

The buyer has left me negative feedback saying the heels were in poor condition and had to be thrown away. I'm not sure what to do or if there's anything I can do? Everything was listed as is and I believe the feedback is a little unfair. The heels are pre-owned but not in a condition that needed to be thrown away. The buyer did not message me to share this feedback (I know they're not obligated to) but I am more than happy to discuss feedback and work out a good solution for both parties. 

I wanted to message the buyer to get further info but I'm unsure that would actually change anything or if they'll reply. Can someone please give me some assistance with this? Thank you I appreciate the help in advance.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

First negative feedback

You have been hit with a newbie buyer, who expected designer shoes for $10.00.

If you are sure the correct info was given in the original listing, close up photo's etc, I would ask eBay Live Chat to remove it, on the grounds that:

1. 'new' buyer made no contact what so ever just used feedback as a complaint tool.

2. No resolution was was entered into, whereby the buyer would have to prove damage

Lay it on think -

don't contact buyer this could be seen as FB extortion, just bare in mind you have a right to respond to the FB she left, but leave that as a last resort and only use polite factual information if you do reply

Have you checked the buyers feedback to see if this is a issue with them? That can also be cited as another reason to Live Chat

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

First negative feedback

Has the buyer left similar feedback? Is the buyer also a seller? The buyer has left you no option to have the item returned....go to Help (top of page) and have a 'live chat' with ebay....good luck!
Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

First negative feedback

You have been hit with a newbie buyer, who expected designer shoes for $10.00.

If you are sure the correct info was given in the original listing, close up photo's etc, I would ask eBay Live Chat to remove it, on the grounds that:

1. 'new' buyer made no contact what so ever just used feedback as a complaint tool.

2. No resolution was was entered into, whereby the buyer would have to prove damage

Lay it on think -

don't contact buyer this could be seen as FB extortion, just bare in mind you have a right to respond to the FB she left, but leave that as a last resort and only use polite factual information if you do reply

Have you checked the buyers feedback to see if this is a issue with them? That can also be cited as another reason to Live Chat

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

First negative feedback

Sorry - also add this buyer to your BBL

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

First negative feedback

Hi there, 

Thank you so much for your reply and help!

I've checked and the buyer has only left 3 reviews and only 1 (the one I received) was negative. They aren't a seller from what I can see.

You're correct! I don't have the option to work out any refunds either 😞 

Thank you so much for your help! Fingers crossed with eBay live chat.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

First negative feedback

Hi there,

Thank you so much as well for your reply and help! 

I really appreciate your guidance on what to raise with eBay live chat - it's so helpful thank you so much. 

I have checked the buyers history and the feedback I received was her first negative from a total of 3 reviews given (the other 2 were positive). I'll reach out to eBay live chat now 🙂 

I'll add them to my BBL as well and won't contact her unless it's my last resort. Thank you so so much for your guidance. I really appreciate your help!!

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

First negative feedback

@helenschmelon wrote:

Hi there,

I really appreciate your guidance on what to raise with eBay live chat - it's so helpful thank you so much. 

I have checked the buyers history and the feedback I received was her first negative from a total of 3 reviews given (the other 2 were positive). I'll reach out to eBay live chat now 🙂 

I'll add them to my BBL as well and won't contact her unless it's my last resort. Thank you so so much for your guidance. I really appreciate your help!!

I would much rather a neg than to have to refund, as I would probably get a neg anyway.

My one and only neg from many thousands of transactions was on this account a couple of monthss ago. They chose to vent, I kept the money, and they won't be able to buy from me on any of my accounts in future.

I sell for money. I don't really care what colour dots I get.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

First negative feedback

Hi there!

Thank you so much for your reply and your insight 🙂

It's great to also see it from that angle too and I do agree. I am selling for similar reasons, money and selling items I no longer need.

I've only recently started selling so although all transactions have been positive, this first negative has reflected on my profile and the percentage of positive feedback has been skewed. I wouldn't want this turning down prospective buyers on my other items. 

Thank you again for your reply!

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

First negative feedback

@davewil1964 wrote:

@helenschmelon wrote:

Hi there,

I would much rather a neg than to have to refund, as I would probably get a neg anyway.

My one and only neg from many thousands of transactions was on this account a couple of monthss ago. They chose to vent, I kept the money, and they won't be able to buy from me on any of my accounts in future.

I sell for money. I don't really care what colour dots I get.

I second this, about 2 years ago we stopped caring about negs. on our selling account have never dipped below 99% and the fact is negs doesnt matter for sales. On any given time we would have between 15-20 negs. We help people if the message us and are unhappy but if they file a SNAD dispute or just straight up neg. We are reluctant to help because at the end of the day we do sell for money too and as always eBay says "its their experience just respect that" If you do 2000 transactions a month you cannot please everyone.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

First negative feedback

But a new seller needs to try to please most people to start with danieh.

I know sellers don't sell for green dot's, but for a new seller a red dot on the first page is upsetting.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply