Forcing me to managed payment or deny new listings

I wanted to put up a new item but message came up I must register to managed payments. So I go to the link where it says "express interest". I fill out the form but skip the "Why are you interested in managed payments?" because I am not interested in it. Off course it won't let me continue. So I feel I'm being forced to voluntarily sign up for something I don't want. When I dig deeper, I find they also want driver's licence and who knows what other persona information which in no way I will submit to some private company online.

The question I have is it even legal to force people this way or simply deny their service?

I've been with ebay since the start but this will probably be the end of it. What are your thoughts

Message 1 of 138
Latest reply
137 REPLIES 137

Re: Forcing me to managed payment or deny new listings

@martinomusic2014 wrote:

One has to wonder who is this 'katistrophik' expert who has all the answers?  Been a member for three years with the grand feedback total of 14; doesn't sound like an experienced ebay expert to me.  But obviously knows enough about business, taxes and government rules so thanks for that.

kat is Wonder Woman!

Seriously now, a lot of regular posters here use posting IDs to prevent disruption to their selling IDs by disaffected members who take issue with something they post.

Some members who post using their selling account have had someone buy from them just so they can leave a negative feedback.  Petty, I know, but there are some petty people who frequent these boards.

Message 41 of 138
Latest reply

Digi will probably have the answer, but its likely something to do with having to get permission form all parties involved, I wouldn't say Adyen more Austrac

Message 42 of 138
Latest reply

You have certainly just shown how much you know 

Message 43 of 138
Latest reply

" However, my financial advisor has told me that now if payments start showing in my bank account I will have to account for what they are for and where they came from."

You need a new financial advisor. 

Where the money goes or stays is 100% irrelevant to the ATO, what matters is that it was received by you  - PayPal are registered here as a financial institution and they absolutely feed data to the ATO, just like the banks. 

"So now, although I never saw it as a business, even as a hobby I would now have to keep records of everything including receipts for packaging materials, cost of petrol to and from post office etc to minimise any tax liability."

It doesn't matter whether or not you view your own activities as a business. The classification criteria are set by the ATO, not personal feelings. If your activities would be classed as a hobby, it wouldn't matter if you receive the money to PayPal or a bank - if your activities classify you as a business, however, then of course you would need to do all that kind of accounting, no matter where the money goes. PayPal isn't like some kind of a magical Swiss bank account, where you can secretly conduct business and it doesn't matter. 

"Similarly they now charge GST on everything from overseas, whether the goods or service require it or not, but how does a private individual go about claiming it back?"

Of course you don't - not even all businesses can. Only GST-registered sellers / businesses can claim the credit on the GST they pay on goods & services (purchased domestically or internationally), and only if it was a business related expense. If you are not running a business as you say, and are not GST registered, you don't need to be thinking about the GST paid on anything you buy.  

Message 44 of 138
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

@martinomusic2014 wrote:

One has to wonder who is this 'katistrophik' expert who has all the answers?  Been a member for three years with the grand feedback total of 14; doesn't sound like an experienced ebay expert to me.  But obviously knows enough about business, taxes and government rules so thanks for that.

kat is Wonder Woman!

Seriously now, a lot of regular posters here use posting IDs to prevent disruption to their selling IDs by disaffected members who take issue with something they post.

Some members who post using their selling account have had someone buy from them just so they can leave a negative feedback.  Petty, I know, but there are some petty people who frequent these boards.

Funny I found it so much more intresting to see who gave them the Kudo LOL

Spoiler
Definitely APRIL
Message 45 of 138
Latest reply

No surprises there, right?

But, Kat, you did not take a screen shot and then post it in a quote with a tally of how many kudos that member has given and how many of those kudos from that member have been given to the same fellow member in supposed exchange for their reciprocal kudos

Spoiler
Oh, and then comment that a kudos got removed after the first tally had been tallied
Message 46 of 138
Latest reply

No, I forgot to do that 😋

Spoiler
But he is who he is and he knows

Message 47 of 138
Latest reply

No - not any longer.

Just an up - I'd lift my game with the tea towel. 

Message 48 of 138
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

@martinomusic2014 wrote:

kat is Wonder Woman!

Seriously K - you know that one is taken.

Kat is :

images - 2021-04-11T154522.459.jpeg

Message 49 of 138
Latest reply

No need to tell you I am stealing that right ?

Message 50 of 138
Latest reply