Free Returns

I have just come across this when logging into ebay... Ebay offering free returns for almost everything.

https://pages2.ebay.com.au/free-returns

I offer returns on  my listings for change of mind, doesn't fit etc... with buyer to pay return shipping.

My question is, who pays for the free return shipping???

The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has its limits.
Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Free Returns

eBay pay for the return. Have a look at the video ad.

https://www.ebay.com.au/rpp/free-returns

image host
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Free Returns

Thanks Kopenhagen  all is now revealed 🙂

The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has its limits.
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Free Returns

This is a promotional thing by ebay, and once it has become a buyer expectation they will back out and leave it to sellers to opt in or out. Buyers will then expect it and treeat those sellers who dont offer it as anreasonable. The pressure wil then be on sellers to opt in.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Free Returns

I agree, it's a very bad idea.

Not to mention buyers not reading the T&C's then expecting sellers that don't even offer returns to honour the promo.

image host
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Free Returns

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

I agree, it's a very bad idea.

Not to mention buyers not reading the T&C's then expecting sellers that don't even offer returns to honour the promo.

I read through it but I bet a lot of buyers will only give it a glance, then if they do decide later on a return, will just remember a few key points.

The first will be the title, "Free returns on pretty much everything".

And the bottom diagram about how it works-buy before Dec 31, if it's not right click return this item, send back free.

I wonder how many will see the details about the restocking fee.

If I were a seller offering this, I'd be inclined to have a restocking fee clearly mentioned in every ad, just to cut down on frivolous returns.

You can bet that some time after Dec 31st, if buyers get used to these conditions, that ebay hopes sellers will start to pick up the tab for these returns.

Oh and for those sellers not sure about restocking fees, catch of the day charges a 20% restocking fee (on item cost only not on item/postage combined cost). I suspect sellers on ebay who had it at 20% might cop a blast in their feedback. But 20% is the reality elsewhere.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Free Returns

@springyzone wrote:

Oh and for those sellers not sure about restocking fees, catch of the day charges a 20% restocking fee (on item cost only not on item/postage combined cost). I suspect sellers on ebay who had it at 20% might cop a blast in their feedback. But 20% is the reality elsewhere.

This is what eBay thinks of restocking fees:

"Don't charge a restocking fee. If you do charge a restocking fee, be sure to select a reasonable amount and limit it to instances where the buyer isn't returning the item in original condition."

It really makes me laugh. And cry a little, actually.

If the item isn't in the original condition, IMO the buyer shouldn't be eligible to return the item for a refund (full or partial - this is my biggest problem with eBay's auto-acceptance of COM returns, I should be able to check the buyer's eligibility for a return Smiley Mad ).

The max. restocking fee you can set is 20%. Too bad if the buyer sends back something that's 100% worthless due to use, or misuse. *

sigh

I know this can be relegated to "cost of doing business", but it's only become a cost of doing business on eBay specifically. 

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Free Returns

Yes, and now they have on a lot of listings 'Delivery before Christmas'. I wonder how close to the 25th they'll leave that on?
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Free Returns

Probably till the 26th!!Smiley Frustrated

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Free Returns

@digital*ghost wrote:

@springyzone wrote:

This is what eBay thinks of restocking fees:

"Don't charge a restocking fee. If you do charge a restocking fee, be sure to select a reasonable amount and limit it to instances where the buyer isn't returning the item in original condition."

It really makes me laugh. And cry a little, actually.

If the item isn't in the original condition, IMO the buyer shouldn't be eligible to return the item for a refund (full or partial - this is my biggest problem with eBay's auto-acceptance of COM returns, I should be able to check the buyer's eligibility for a return Smiley Mad ).

The max. restocking fee you can set is 20%. Too bad if the buyer sends back something that's 100% worthless due to use, or misuse. *

sigh

I know this can be relegated to "cost of doing business", but it's only become a cost of doing business on eBay specifically. 

I had occasion recently to ask COTD about a return because sandals were too small.

They were quite good about accepting it. Return was free for me. HOWEVER, I was left in no doubt that the item had to be returned in the exact condition it had been sent. That included tags etc. With 20% restocking fee. The instructions were clear.

There was a warning that if the item received was not in perfect condition, they reserved the right to refuse a refund and it would then only be returned if i paid for return postage.

So... I think ebay is doing sellers a disservice by trying to encourage them not to charge a restocking fee. I don't know of any shop (real or online) that accepts returns on items that are not in good condition or that have been broken or damaged by the buyer. I don't see why ebay thinks its sellers should give any refund at all in those circumstances, let alone consider the restocking fee as enough compensation.

I suppose the trouble is... COTD & others are in charge of the whole process, they send the goods, they decide what is and is not acceptable condition when it arrives back, whereas ebay is trying to mediate between 2 parties that might have conflicting stories.

It's a problem. But if ebay pushes things too far in the future, they'll find sellers have to raise prices a lot to cover all the free returns.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply