Seller protection for missing parcel with tracking

Can someone refresh my memory on seller protection when a tracked parcel is lost in Australia Post network.

The parcel was sent mid November from metro Melbourne to country Victoria.  Tracking shows it was initially sent to Queensland (?) and arrived back at AP Sunshine on 22 November.  No further tracking events.  I have lodged a case with AP but no response to date.

The buyer is understandably loosing patience.  I would like to offer a refund if there is no further movement next week.  Is it best to advise the buyer to open a INR with eBay or Paypal (ie which will cover me via seller protection).  Standard tracking - no signature.

Thanks 

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

As you are protected as you can prove postage with tracking then do not refund.

Let them open a case.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

If they open a case on eBay, they will win and get a refund as tracking won't show delivery.

If they open a case via PayPal, you will win as you only need proof of postage.

There are very few situations in which ebay or PayPal cover the refund, so in a case like this, either buyer or seller will be out of pocket unless Aus Post compensate, unfortunately.
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

jfmgray - I've had to open a few cases with AP this year - they are usually quite slow, but I find that once you go onto their FB page and mention that you are waiting to hear on a case, you will usually get a response quite quickly. (Tip - don't write an angry FB message - always keep it upbeat)

Normally I tell my buyer that I have opened a case and that it can take a week or more to get resolved. I don't usually encourage them to open a case. Once AP get involved, the tracking information will update to say that there is a case underway.

Once AP have responded, (and assuming they can't find it), they will ask you what the items are and also ask you prove the value of the item/s that you sent.

I normally take a screenshot of the sale and send it to the rep who contacts me.

They will then send you a money order to the value of the items plus the postage and once the reps tells me that, I normally refund the buyer without waiting for the order to get to me as it can take a few weeks to process.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

@*sparklz* wrote:

As you are protected as you can prove postage with tracking then do not refund.

Let them open a case.

See my thread on "ebay refunds buyer even ....." ebay WILL take your money if a case is opened, even if you have all the evidence of delivery etc.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply