Free Shipping which is not.

autoseak
Community Member

Why is that EBay allows sellers to advertise with photos that read 'FREE SHIPPING' and actually charge shipping when you open it up. Just checked 4 sellers stores , and found on the first 2 pages of each site several items being falsely advertised. 4 sites, 2 pages from each, it totaled 79 items which breach Australian Law. On 16/02/2024 Ebay were advised of this and I forwarded them 4 sites that were not complying to Law. Since then the practice is getting worse. Obviously EBay did nothing. What should I do? Go to ACCC or Current Affair or both?

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Free Shipping which is not.

I am not using the app.

Check: Plastic Straws. eBay item number:

Located NSW (I know that means the stock but not necessarily the seller)

Stock photo used. (which is not truthful)

Many of them use this same photo so one would presume that they are actually all the same seller, using different names. 

It does not really irritate me but annoys me a little because it is deceptive.

Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

Shipping shows $11.99 and it's a Chinese registered seller with horrible feedback.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

The item which you said says free postage

The item number you gave clearly shows the postage cost as $12.90 to me, near Sydney 

Totally stock photos just lifted from the web

Given the seller of the item is registered in China and their feedback is in the toilet, and the claim is 'reusable plastic' when it is clearly normal plastic straws shown in the photos (which are banned here anyway)

The 'postage' should be a moot point since the seller is not one anyone should be choosing to support in the first place

Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

The ad lists postage but the photo list free shipping. I reckon the seller is not checking the stock photo used before uploading.  I agree best avoiding a seller who can't be bothered listing properly.

Message 14 of 24
Latest reply

It says free postage to me:

Screen Shot 2024-03-11 at 13.12.05.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-11 at 13.12.24.png

Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

Reusable straws - let's have a party.

Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

It clearly reads cost $12.90 and below that Postage $5.99.

This is the problem with eBay when on the PC it reads one thing and then on the phone it reads another.

I stopped using the phone internet and the app several years ago.

I agree 'reusable' is also misrepresenting the truth.

I know that they are banned in AU (so you have to buy from OS) but the environmentally versions are 3cm shorter and basically useless.

Message 17 of 24
Latest reply

Free shipping for me, unless you want express post.  ACCC will have a good laugh at you

Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

@autoseak wrote:

I agree 'reusable' is also misrepresenting the truth.

Why,  if its plastic they are reusable

Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

Yeah, we keep plenty of plastic straws from the olden days around to re-use them at home now.

Message 20 of 24
Latest reply