Full or partial refund

Sold a skirt for $51.  Buyer has emailed me in regards to a damaged zipper that will cost $25+ to repair.

I checked the zipper on numerous occasions and found no problems whatsoever.   But the buyer is adamant.

If I thought there was a chance of the zipper being damaged I would immediately cough up the partial refund for repairs. But I'm not convinced. I immediately offered a full refund on the return of the item but buyer seems happy to have repairs done.

Where does this end?  What happens if the skirt is damaged / greatly altered by the repair process?

I felt a full refund was the safest route to travel.

Buyer has had a couple of partial refunds recently due to repairs.

Many thanks .....!

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Full or partial refund

If you are confident that the skirt is not damaged (ask for a photo of the broken zipper) and you think you may be able to resell it for at least $25 plus return postage, I'd be asking for the item back.

I do think that you should pay return postage to you, as technically, you are saying "sorry your skirt is damaged, return it to me for a refund".

$25 to put in a zipper? Clearly I'm in the wrong business.....

On the other side theough, I would say if you don't do what the buyer wants, then the feedback you are left may reflect her "tantrum" at not getting her own way.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Full or partial refund

You're right ..... I should learn how to use a sewing machine and open up a little repair shop. I'd retire in no time. There must be an art to it.

I would pay return postage. Nobody should be out of pocket for something that they're not 100% happy with.

Not sure what the photo will show. The zip was tightly stitched in and the 'teeth' were straight and undamaged.

I ran the zip up and down a couple of times probably over 5 to 6 occasions.  The last time was when the parcel was packed on the morning of postage. The buyer says that after running the zip up and down many times it feels like it will break.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Full or partial refund

I think in your position I would ask for the item to be returned for full refund (including postage if the item is damaged). That is what paypal would be asking her to do should she commense an item not as described dispute.

She possibly is telling the truth, but possibly not too. You could ask for a photo - I have done that before and with a genuine buyer they will be happy to do so, it is easy and quick now that we can attach photos to ebay messages.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Full or partial refund

@mylittlejubjub wrote:

You're right ..... I should learn how to use a sewing machine and open up a little repair shop. I'd retire in no time. There must be an art to it.

I would pay return postage. Nobody should be out of pocket for something that they're not 100% happy with.

Not sure what the photo will show. The zip was tightly stitched in and the 'teeth' were straight and undamaged.

I ran the zip up and down a couple of times probably over 5 to 6 occasions.  The last time was when the parcel was packed on the morning of postage. The buyer says that after running the zip up and down many times it feels like it will break.

I just thought the photo may call her bluff - ie, you know what condition the zipper was, she's claiming it is damaged. If she's genuine, she will supply a pic.

OK, the paranoia is setting in now, is it possible she owns a similar skirt that had a broken zipper and she is trying to substitute it?

I'm just a bit wary that you mention she had had a few partial refunds....

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Full or partial refund

In these types of situations I always request the return of items for inspection. 

I indicate, as pleasantly as one can, that this will include a comparison with photos of item prior to sending, and if found to be defective or not as described on return a full refund and return post paid will be immediately issued. I also note that if the item is found to be have tampered with, and/or not in the same condition sent, no refund will be provided and that a report will be made to ebay.

A few years ago when I did do partial refunds, I did ask a couple of suspect buyers for photos of the garment "defects" and written quotes for more expensive "repairs" and never heard from them again.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Full or partial refund

Just received a short email. She's not sure how to send the photo now.  I assume it's the same as if you're sending an attachment in a private email.  I'm not big on IT myself!

Apparently it is just hard to zip up.  It's a very form fitting pencil skirt with what I would call a firm zipper.

It's not a big chunky one that glides up and down very loosely.   This firm hidden zipper is designed that way to conform with the cut and fit of the skirt.

I didn't find the zipper difficult to lift or lower at all and if I thought anybody else would then I wouldn't have listed it.

I'm beginning to think that she realises that there is no fault per se but it's not as fast running as other zips she's used to.

Come to think of it ..... there are a hell of a lot of different styles out there.

Thanks again!

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Full or partial refund

I've never tried to load a picture through the eBay message system, but if she paid by pay pal, she will have your email address. Just request that she send the picture through email.

Just to cover yourself, and this may be being overly cautious, but if you go down that route, make the message in eBay very clear - ie - "I understand that you may have trouble uploading a picture into an eBay message, I'm no IT genius myself, and I've never tried to do it. Because you paid by PayPal, you have my email address, just send me a photo via that email addy with a full description of the fault and ......... (return and refund info that you want to convey)."

I'm not sure why, but something in the back of my mind is saying just to cover yourself with eBay and be totally trasparent so thet your honesty and integrity os not bought into question.

My only real concern is for you and the manner in which she evaluates any feedback she may leave for you. It's a hard one, eh? Stick by your principles, or cave into the pressure of the threat of unflattering feedback.....

BTW - DO NOT enter into any conversation about feedback with the buyer, eBay don't like that very much and it may work against you if you need their help down the track to have any unfair feedback removed.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Full or partial refund

oh, and I think my grandma used to run some soap over a tricky zipper, maybe suggest that to the buyer? From memory it makes the zip slide more easily... and that makes sense to me.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Full or partial refund

yes soap or a candle both work 🙂

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply