GST suddenly put on buyers invoice, in Australia

Has anyone had this problem today, I cannot get paid as ebay have put GST on buyers invoice here in Australia

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: GST suddenly put on buyers invoice, in Australia

Have had same issue.

Further to interaction with buyers, what appears to have happened is that ebay relocated items to outside Australia,  one to Switzerland one to USA. Invoices over AUD100 therefore were charged GST. One buyer was even invoiced in USD!

Thought it had been fixed, but one buyer reported (after sending invoice that did not show GST) that when came to pay, the GST was added again.

ebay well aware of the situation, and advised that i contact buyers and update them, advising that they would be refunded.

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

Not all over $100.... I had a few different ones under and over $100 - $31 inc postage Aust and $9 Aust got charged Gst. 

Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

Yes it has just happened to me (buying). Went to pay for items and noticed the GST charge. It wasn't on the email/invoice so I know it wasn't added by the seller. Was going to notify eBay, but I see they're aware of it.

Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

I won the items only yesterday, so I'll leave it and try again tomorrow. But if it's not fixed in the next few days, I'll just have to pay it and contact eBay about it.

I won't complain to the seller because I know it's not their fault.

Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

I just had 3 buyers who wont pay as GST is being added on checkout to the invoice. This only started happening to me on 19-Aug-23. It only affected 3 buyers (in Aus) while others could checkout with GST being added on checkout. This seems to affect some buyers but not all; I raised a ticket with ebay who said it would be fixed in 24 hours. 

After 24 hours, I called again and raised another ticket which I was told would be fixed in 48 hours. I just noticed a recent buyer has paid GST so it is still occurring. 

Very frustrating and I fear I will lose customers and payments over this. 

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

GST is not showing up on the invoice you send the buyer, it shows up on the buyers invoice when they go to pay you. Double dipping from ebay, I went through my invoices to 2021  and I have been charged GST on every second hand item this has been since 

Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

I went back through my tax invoices and I have been charged GST all that time. I live in Australia and only sell in Australia. If this is incorrect for me to pay GST I want a refund for all the years I have been paying

Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

As a seller you pay GST on the fees.    The S part of GST stands for Services.

Paying GST on eBay selling fees

If you're based in Australia or New Zealand, GST is payable on your seller fees, regardless of which eBay website you use for selling. You can see the GST amount on your monthly invoice.

If you run a business in Australia or New Zealand and you're registered for GST, you can apply for a tax exemption to receive invoices with GST deducted. In Australia, you'll need to provide your ABN; in New Zealand, your GST number.

Taxes and import charges | eBay

Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

@movin_on08 wrote:

GST is not showing up on the invoice you send the buyer, it shows up on the buyers invoice when they go to pay you. Double dipping from ebay, I went through my invoices to 2021  and I have been charged GST on every second hand item this has been since 

I would keep that quiet,  GST came into Australia in 2000,  you had a free ride for a few years by the sounds of it.  Hope you ring the tax office and confess your sins.

Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

You do not pay GST on good sold within Australia to Australia .. so not sure why you are saying " I would keep that quiet.." 

Its double dipping from ebay and for me its been 1 full week and they have not refunded 1cent, paid over $20 on gst from buying from a australia seller living in australia to myself an australian buyer/ seller living in australia... thats not on.

Message 20 of 23
Latest reply