Getting funds paid into my account

Hey I’ve sold an item and I’ve been paid the funds re on hold untill I can produce my ID but I can’t because I’ve lost my drivers licence due to epilepsy and had it taken away, I’m trying to upload my proof of age but to no avail and it’s becoming frustrating 

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

You needed to have signed up to Managed Payments (which came in over 3 years ago) before even listing anything

Plus the requirements to verify your bank account

Even then, the funds will be on hold for 30 days due to you being a new seller

Not sure what to advise, I'm afraid 

eBay don't give anyone special consideration for any reason (their policy, nothing to do with members here)

Apparently proof of age used to work in some states at some point, not so much any more 

You are really going to want to end your current listings until you can see if there is someway to get this sorted out, those funds will be held (and never paid at all) without being verified for Managed Payments 

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

@jojo88_mac,

I suppose you do not have a passport?

In which state are you, and what’s the type of photo ID you have?

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Apparently your driver's licence is valid ID in Australia for 2 years after expiry - perhaps you can still use it.

Proving your identity

a NSW driver/rider licence or NSW Photo Card that is current, or has expired within the last 2 years 

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

If you have a passport, you can use that, but if you don't, you may need to apply for one just so you can get past the ID verification barrier.

If you haven't sent those items you've sold, I would highly suggest you cancel and refund (unless you have the passport, of course). The reason I say this is because if you can't become both ID and bank verified, you will never see that money.

I would definitely cancel your current listings until you are sorted out.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Is it an assumption that everyone has a passport? I am mid 50s and have never had a passport, and at this point in time, don't have any desire to own one.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Unfortunately, ID verification in Australia - when done online - is heavily slanted towards those forms of ID that can be immediately verified by referencing the identity document with the government-issued document information that can be accessed electronically by the legitimate body. The secure third-party will check when asked by a party that has been granted permission, and the instant reply is provided as a yes/no. It’s all bot-driven, so no humans checking ID.

If someone’s ID is correct but not able to be checked via the auto-coded request system, it’s much more cumbersome - possibly impossible - to verify in such a system. A manual backup process should be available to provide for such instances.

Passport and driver licence are two of the easiest things that can be checked digitally. So can birth certificate, Medicare card, Working with Children card, student card, etc., but the system used must have permission to request verification from each issuing body.

Really, it shouldn’t be this hard, if eBay set up its ID process with all relevant permissions to verify ID. I suspect that the architects of this eBay process just assumed initially that any Australian selling on eBay would have either a D/L or passport… If a Keypass card or Proof of Age card can’t be used without a big drama, eBay’s process is flawed somewhere.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

In excess of $300 - why. ??

Screenshot_20230506-142005_Chrome.jpg

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

Unfortunately, ID verification in Australia - when done online - is heavily slanted towards those forms of ID that can be immediately verified by referencing the identity document with the government-issued document information that can be accessed electronically by the legitimate body. The secure third-party will check when asked by a party that has been granted permission, and the instant reply is provided as a yes/no. It’s all bot-driven, so no humans checking ID.

If someone’s ID is correct but not able to be checked via the auto-coded request system, it’s much more cumbersome - possibly impossible - to verify in such a system. A manual backup process should be available to provide for such instances.

Passport and driver licence are two of the easiest things that can be checked digitally. So can birth certificate, Medicare card, Working with Children card, student card, etc., but the system used must have permission to request verification from each issuing body.

Really, it shouldn’t be this hard, if eBay set up its ID process with all relevant permissions to verify ID. I suspect that the architects of this eBay process just assumed initially that any Australian selling on eBay would have either a D/L or passport… If a Keypass card or Proof of Age card can’t be used without a big drama, eBay’s process is flawed somewhere.

I am in NSW. I have held a drivers licence since 1986. I have held a Working With Children check since they made it compulsory for my job. Why should I then have to get a passport that I don't want and will probably never use? 

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

You shouldn’t.

eBay should make it as easy as possible to be ID-verified with all of the legitimate and valid forms of photo ID available in Australia.

Bad coding or bad design — not unusual with eBay…

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply