Great a SALE !!!

I have just sold my Sony Laptop to a nice Buyer who l have just found out only lives 2 km from me. I quoted $25.00 for postage, for all over Aust.  As the buyer seems nice through email contact, is there anyway that l can cancel the postage and deliver the Laptop to him in person. Saving him some money, and no postage grab by you know who ????   Thanks.

Message 1 of 74
Latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

Re: Great a SALE !!!

@ruperts-table wrote:

@dazzledayz wrote:

Don't forget that AP have a really good rate for local postage.

I don't know if it's changing or not in the new update but ATM, if you are both in the same postal zone, it's only $9.75 up to 22kg inc tracking.

@   This important  commercial Break was brought to you by the folks @ Dazzledayz, Sponsers of Australia Post.

Lol, I'm not a great fan of AP and I've more bad to say about them than good; particularly their pricing policies.

They do however occasionally do some decent things of which this is one.

I've used this service before as it's a great saving for heavier parcels posted locally.

It seems not too many sellers know about it; or the 50km interzone rate:

If a recipients address is within 50km of the lodgement location (but in a different zone) the above rate still applies.

The only problem with this though is that AP have no way for counter staff to figure out the distances (clever eh?).

Another brickbat is that LPO's are often unaware of it (interzone rate) and/or refuse to use it.

AP can be totally shonky at times and, as they are now run by ex bankers, it's small wonder they can't even try to offer a competitive commercial service.

And don't get me started on the Fed govts refusal to enforce our right via abstention (along with NZ and Canada) to pass on the real cost of O/S parcel delivery under thr UPU agreement.

That's why we pay so much for domestic parcel postage!

Message 61 of 74
Latest reply

Yep.      I know he got a defect.   Did it on purpose.  Told ya  - scared the bejeezus

outta me.

The seller should have messaged me prior,  What's the point of being

anonymous if ya gunna turn up on my doorstep and blind-side me?

Postage was 70c  -  I'll throw a party on what I saved shall I?

imastawka, 

OMG - this is a definition of a new low!

Your selller obviously meant well, it's not just a 70c saving, it was also saving you time of not waiting for postage - and he was a neighbour!

Did he turn up at 3 o'clock in the morning, with a paper bag over his head - waving a cricket bat?

Trying to get in through the window?

On second toughts, maybe he should have taken all that with him - to defend himself!

Do you scare so easily by anyone turning up at your door during normal day light hours?

And if so - that is your problem, not your seller's - and  crucifying him was so totally out of line.

If that was me at the door, after hearing the admonition  - I would have had a good laugh - then taken my item back and told you to brush up on the manners - and oh, yeas - leave any feed back you like - "don't call us, we'll call you" about seeing your item again!

Message 62 of 74
Latest reply

Hey!!    I have a letter box you know!!    He could have put it in there!!

And yes,  I have my own reasons for not wanting to open the door.  I can open

the security door if I can see it's a courier or postie.   But I don't open the door

to strangers waving things purportedly bought on ebay.  He put it under the door.

I have had the experience of someone using a ruse to open the security door

just to barge past me and rob me, thanks very much,   I'm not a spring chicken

and this ruse is used often in my area on older women.  And, no I'm not moving house.

I have always given good feedback,  maybe once I gave 4 stars and

never given a negative.  So this was a big deal for me. 

So, I repeat,  he could simply have put it in my letter box.  Why didn't he?

Message 63 of 74
Latest reply

So, I repeat,  he could simply have put it in my letter box.  Why didn't he?

Imastawka,

I'll give you 3 guesses - you should be able to get it in one!

Message 64 of 74
Latest reply

Dear oh dear.  

He wanted to know what a stawka looked like?

Turns out he was the stalker.

He wasn't a 'neighbour'   but from the next suburb.  It cost him petrol

to deliver - nosey parker, if you ask me.

Message 65 of 74
Latest reply

Imastawka,

wrong answer!

Maybe there was a natural curiousity to see  "what stawka looks like" - but the main reason for handing it to you personally (rather than leave in the letterbox) would have been to ensure that you have received it, 100%.

Stalker?

Hardly - he lives near by, you know him now, can identify him, he sells on Ebay and presumably will continue to do so (in spite of the newly acuired defect).

You could have  opened the door, decided in one second flat he was hardly a threat, tell him: 

"Thank you so much, and it was very nice to have met you.  Very grateful, it'll save me few days waiting on my item."

Message 66 of 74
Latest reply

I get it now.  

You're one of those women that needs to have the last say.

I'm over it.

Message 67 of 74
Latest reply

You don't get a defect for communication stars. I was shocked to see a buyer that left me feedback yesterday gave me 5 stars for everything except comms......which he gave me 3. No idea why! Thankfully I've had enough 5 star ratings where I've still got 5 stars, but I was a bit shocked. My first thought was defect, so I went and checked the help pages and you don't get a defect for low stars on comms.

I'd be a bit miffed if someone turned up at my place unannounced. I don't even let local buyers come and pick up. I usually meet them in a mutual place, like the supermarket car park. I delivered to one bloke last Friday in his shop. It suited me because it was right next to Woollies and I needed to go there anyway. 

I'd just prefer to keep my location private with buyers. Besides, if a stranger knocks on the door, it scares the daylights out of the sheeps and they start demolishing the house. They're only just now getting used to the postie and he's been doing regular deliveries for yonks. The first time the postie knocked in the door, I don't know who was more shocked, him or the sheep! He asked the usual dumb question "are they sheep?". Nah, they're Echidnas. "Why are they in the house?" Because they like it. He scratched his head and walked off while having a good ol' chuckle.

Message 68 of 74
Latest reply

I'm with stawks on this, c'mon,it doesn't take much to message intentions on ebay.

I don't know about others but I was brought up with not turning up unexpectedly especially to a strangers house without asking first. I find it a little disrespectful.

And possibly to a house with a woman alone, lack of thought for the other person on behalf of the seller.

Manners appear to be diminishing IMO. Maybe schools need to look at it as a subject in future.

image host
Message 69 of 74
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

I'm with stawks on this, c'mon,it doesn't take much to message intentions on ebay.

I don't know about others but I was brought up with not turning up unexpectedly especially to a strangers house without asking first. I find it a little disrespectful.

And possibly to a house with a woman alone, lack of thought for the other person on behalf of the seller.

Manners appear to be diminishing IMO. Maybe schools need to look at it as a subject in future.

Me too. I wouldn't dream of just rocking up to a buyers house unannounced. Firstly, I don't want to invade their privacy and second, I don't know who they are. They could be axe murderers for all I know! When I have a local buyer, I give them 3 options. I can deliver to their house, I can meeting them in a neutral place at an agreed time, or I can post. Only one has said to deliver to their house, the rest have met me down the street somewhere. 

Last Friday morning, I was leaving for work and found someone plastic cards in my front yard. A Visa debit card, medicare card and a couple of others. I wasn't sure what to do with them, so that night I thought I'd try my luck and asked on one of the local buy swap and sell facebook sites if anyone knew this person. I said they would have to tell me all the names on the medicare card so I knew I had the right person.

5 minutes after posting the message, a lady replied saying she was a good friend of the man's wift. 10 minutes later she appeared on the site and I told her to send me a private message. As it turned out, she lives about 6 houses up the road from me. She said she would send me a message the next morning and come up and pick them up. 

At 7.30am my phone woke me up with a facebook notification for a private message. I didn't open it, so she wouldn't have seen I had read it, but I could see enough just sliding it down from the top. She was asking if I was home and if she could call up. Not 5 minutes later she knocked on the door. I was stoked that I was able to reunite the cards with their owner, it gave me that warm fuzzy feeling, but I was a bit miffed that she didn't even give me time to answer her message before she came up. I was still in my PJ's and didn't even have a chance to do my hair!

Message 70 of 74
Latest reply