Heads up. New postage with tracking scam.

G’day folks. 

New scam emerging……. 

As we all know, eBay sellers only require the delivery of an item’s tracking to say ‘delivered’ and that’s about where their responsibilities lie…. Fair enough, but we often see the boards filled with buyers claiming they didn’t get their item. 

Now, some couriers & postal delivery drivers will leave the item in a safe spot and take a photo to cover their butt, when scanning the item as delivered. 
All well and good…… BUT…… the new scam is that now, they are taking the picture of the item, then taking the item!  (Probably not a new scam, but I only heard about it recently, when a friends home security captured it all…. in Victoria)  

This all falls back to the delivery service used, but oh my…. How damn frustrating!! 😖😖

And what of those folk who don’t have security cameras to catch these postal delivery thieves!?!? 

It’s always something……. Less and less integrity these days. 😡

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Heads up. New postage with tracking scam.

Possibly “stay in touch”

Message 21 of 26
Latest reply

Sneaky.

It sure makes a change from messages posted on social media about lost parcels where AP's 'photographic evidence' shows the buyer's purchase on someone else's doorstep!  I've seen that more than a few times.

My favourite proof of delivery was actually from one of those well known ready meals companies.  When the meals were delivered they would email you as a matter of course with the photo.  Thankfully my purchase (in a large polystyrene box) was left at the back door (not so thankfully it blocked getting the screen door open to retrieve it....so I needed help).  The photo was a gem though - it was a nice view of my letter box near the nature strip, not the meals at the back door!

There is no way to ensure 100% safe delivery IMO.  Even having to sign for something could be signed by anyone in the house, even walking near the house etc.  Still, with a camera set up it is possible to catch the thief after the fact which is better than nothing....especially if the footage appears on national TV. 😉

Message 22 of 26
Latest reply

Well, well, well….. guess what… eBay rang me today regarding this post.  
At first, I thought it was an scam phone call, but turned out to be legit.  
The bloke told me that they are working on a way to help buyers who experience this sort of theft from postal delivery folk.  
We had a good yarn, no personal info was exchanged, he knew my name and the post.  I made a joke that I didn’t think ebay had a working phone number lol 😂 (which now I have)

So, there you go. Sometimes, eBay do read these boards lol. 😂

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 23 of 26
Latest reply

janebabe, colour me surprised…!

I wonder what sort of protection could be implemented if an item is genuinely stolen by a courier /postman. How could it even be determined sans security video evidence?

Message 24 of 26
Latest reply

Well, I'll be dipped in doo doo! What are the prolific posters of "ebay don't read here. What do you expect other members to do about it?" going to think about this?

I still think it's probably a one off. Maybe the mods contacted ebay? I don't see how ebay can help people who have items stolen from their door. That isn't an ebay issue, it's an Aust Post issue. Tracking will show the item as delivered, so ebay aren't going to help.

Several years ago I was laying in bed not wanting to get up. My bedroom is right next to the front door, and my windows are always open, even in winter, so can hear deliveries if I'm still in bed. I heard the delivery bloke scan the item and then dropped it at my front door, then heard the van drive off. As soon as I heard it drop, I knew what it was. I thought to myself, I probably should get up and grab that. 

I laid there for another few minutes and then heard footsteps. I wondered if the driver had forgotten to drop a parcel, so came back. I was expecting several at the time. I got up and some scum sucker had stolen my parcel. Less than 5 minutes after it was dropped. It wasn't the first, or last, loss of parcels like that, but Christmas was coming up, so I decided Santa would be putting some CCTV cameras under the tree. It captured several episodes of thievery, but the cops weren't interested, and Aust Post were interested even less.

Then Parcel Collect came along and my dreams were realised!

Message 25 of 26
Latest reply

If you live in an apartment building, other people can hear the contractor scanning the parcel too and if they are dishonest they will be quick.

I now leave my door partly open when waiting for a parcel so that I hear when it arrives and thieves are also less likely to steal if the door is open because they could be seen...

I was actually surprised when Aramex left my parcel downstairs and I thought it had been stolen when I saw "delivered" and could not find it - and then I found it downstairs several hours later and nobody had stolen it!

Message 26 of 26
Latest reply