Help please.

I received unjustified negative feedback from a buyer. When I laid the facts out, he has bid on another of my items and left more negative feedback. Clearly just in retaliation.

I requested feedback revision only for the buyer to decline and state that the original feedback was correct.

Ebay's automated reply is that they won't change the feedback and to respect the buyer's decision!
Completely unacceptible when the buyer is clearly harassing me and creating negative feedback.

Please help

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Help please.

All Watchcount would be able to do is pull data from eBay through API.

If eBay doesn't have the ability to show a sold price higher than the BIN price of a best offer listing, Watchcount wouldn't be able to display the higher price either.

It was an auction, but it sold under the best offer function (also indicated in the history on the listing), if the seller counter-offered with $300, the only way I can fathom that it actually sold as a best offer, is if the buyer accepted the $300 counter. 

Besides, if the buyer just went ahead and bought it for $120, the neg is still vindictive - they got it for the list price, they didn't have to purchase if they weren't happy with that list price, and they certainly didn't have to leave a neg about the offer issue as soon as they bought it. (The seller's reply to the neg is timestamped exactly half an hour after the purchase was made, meaning the item was purchased and the neg left within half an hour). 

Message 31 of 38
Latest reply

I think the buyer's issue wasn't the list price, so much as the fact the seller countered with a much higher price. If the list price was $120, then $300 is out of the park.

That's what made him narky. And he was giving feedback on the transaction immediately because he was fired up, a bit angry and wanted to vent. It's a great lesson really to take a breath and think about things before we rush into reacting in print. But I think it's how a lot of angry people do behave.

Message 32 of 38
Latest reply

The buyer was already angry, and all of this ignores the OP, as well, which asserts the purchase was in response to a reply and explanation from the seller about the previous transaction. 

Doesn't it strike anyone as a bit weird that a buyer who was already ticked off with a seller because they no longer had an item available after the transaction had to go to the UPI process, would turn around and buy another item from said seller after being further antagonised with a higher-than-list-price counter-offer? That's the sort of thing that usually puts people off from buying from a seller ever again.

Message 33 of 38
Latest reply

It struck me, and that's why I still think that the second purchase was a retaliation purchase for the purpose of leaving a second lot of malicious feedback.

The buyer might have made an offer on the seller's second item with the intention of annoying the seller. Perhaps he anticipated having the offer rejected, and perhaps the buyer wasn't/isn't experienced enough to know that a rejected offer doesn't give the buyer the ability to leave feedback. Perhaps the buyer wouldn't have minded actually making the purchase, and had intended to pay for the item... while also giving the seller a hard time (in anticipating the buyer's possibly inevitably neg...?). Perhaps the buyer didn't intend to pay, but planned on dragging out the whole process so that the seller's item was tied up for 8 days.

Whatever the buyer's intention (and I realise that I've included a lot of "perhaps"es!), it strains my credulity that someone would purchase (without any nefarious or underlying intention) from someone to whom they've given extremely negative feedback, whom they've said shouldn't be trusted. The fact that it was an offer seems to me like poking the bear. Nyah, nyah, nyah, I'm going to make stupid offers on your items, nyah, nyah, nyah! (I don't know what the buyer's offer was; did the OP say what sort of offer was made, in a removed post or something...?)

With the seller countering with $300, and the transaction price showing as $300 in the feedback, I think you're right, digital*ghost. The explanation must be that eBay's architecture can't properly display the final price in this sort of scenario. Presumably the listing had the Make Offer button, and the buyer clicked and duly made an offer. (Perhaps it was $5 or something ludicrous of that nature... purely to harass the seller.) Equally presumably, the seller made that counter-offer of $300. As the final movement in this delicate dance, the buyer (surprisingly) accepted the $300 counter-offer. If that is so, I wouldn't believe for an instant that the buyer accepted the offer in good faith.

But... in the absence of further information, this remains highly speculative. It might just be that the buyer was completely prepared to purchase from one whom he considered an untrustworthy seller, and was also prepared to pay $300 for the second album even though the starting price of the item (upon which he could still bid) was almost a third lower... and that the only reason for the second negative feedback was because he felt offended and defrauded by the counter-offer being $300... in spite of such a counter-offer being perfectly permissible.

Message 34 of 38
Latest reply

I'm just playing devil's advocate here.Smiley Happy

If the OP doesn't come back, we might never know absolutely & for sure, what the buyer's offer was, what the counter offer was and what the selling price was. Frustrating, isn't it, as I would sort of like to know now, I am curious.

My take on it is the buyer was quite prepared to buy second time around because he knew very well that the seller, as far as normal transactions go, was perfectly trustworthy. He knew that he had played a part in what transpired first time round, but he also knew the seller had not followed ebay procedure down to a tee and he wasn't given the extra 4 days he was told he had. He paid and was disappointed not to get his item.

The key to the second purchase is that possibly it isn't something that dozens of other sellers had available. And the buyer wanted it. This is a man who collects records. And despite his earlier comment, he knew very well if he paid for it promptly, then nothing should go wrong with the transaction.

If he simply wanted to make a purchase only in order to be able to give neg feedback or create problems, he could simply have bought one of the $5 or $10 items for the same effect. The seller has plenty of cheaper things.

So I guess my thoughts are more along the lines it was a buyer who was, to a certain extent, provoked. And it could all have been avoided. I know that isn't how others see it, they see it as a buyer deliberately buying in order to give bad feedback. I think there is definitely an element of 'Do that to me? take this!' in the feedback but should ebay remove it? I don't think so as it is a factual report of the transactions.

As i said though, just my take.Smiley Happy

Message 35 of 38
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

The key to the second purchase is that possibly it isn't something that dozens of other sellers had available. And the buyer wanted it. This is a man who collects records. And despite his earlier comment, he knew very well if he paid for it promptly, then nothing should go wrong with the transaction.

If he simply wanted to make a purchase only in order to be able to give neg feedback or create problems, he could simply have bought one of the $5 or $10 items for the same effect. The seller has plenty of cheaper things.

So I guess my thoughts are more along the lines it was a buyer who was, to a certain extent, provoked. And it could all have been avoided. I know that isn't how others see it, they see it as a buyer deliberately buying in order to give bad feedback. I think there is definitely an element of 'Do that to me? take this!' in the feedback but should ebay remove it? I don't think so as it is a factual report of the transactions.

As i said though, just my take.Smiley Happy

I checked for the title for average prices, sales history and all that yesterday, but there are no others currently listed on eBay, the only other one recently sold was a reissue that went for about $40, and the cheapest price I saw it for on another platform was over $300, so it's plausible the buyer was interested in the item, but I still doubt the buyer's motivation - if it is at less than half the next cheapest price I could get something I wanted, I doubt I'd bother making an offer, and if I had already been burned by a seller, but really wanted another item they had, I'd probably send a message with snarky undertones (something like "well, if I buy this one, will you actually send it to me this time?" sort to thing, even if just to see if they were prepared to sell to me again. 

I mean, the buyer doesn't forget that they left a neg the first time around, nor that the seller is capable of refunding an order and not sending it (and many people would in fact go ahead and not follow through with a buyer who had already caused trouble for them, even if the seller contributed to that trouble), so why wouldn't you try to make sure the second transaction will go smoothly. And if you really wanted an item, why would you leave a neg for it immediately upon purchase and give the seller zero incentive to follow through - if a buyer did that to me, they would guarantee the second transaction is cancelled. So that indicates to me someone who is thinking less about an item they want, and more about hurting the seller, which in turn = vindictive. 

I presume the buyer did not pay for the second purchase, otherwise I doubt the seller's first conclusion would have been that the buyer is simply harassing them, and there are plenty of reasons a buyer would want to target a seller's most expensive item if indeed they were trying to harass them. If they had no intention of paying for it, they may not be aware that a neg will be removed at the end of the UPI process, so if the neg disappears in a few days, we may at least be able to speculate it was because the buyer never paid. Smiley Very Happy

Message 36 of 38
Latest reply

The neg has indeed disappeared. (So has the first negative.)

@springyzone, I have absolutely no doubt that you are the sort of buyer who's able to leave a bad transaction experience behind and deal with the seller again on an even playing field, holding no grudges. If you collected records, you would buy from this seller and expect it to go well, since the OP's feedback (FOR THE MAIN PART!) is fine.

I don't think all buyers - or even the majority of buyers - are of the same mind. Some will be, particularly if they're collectors of hard-to-get items and don't want one issue to get in the way of a life passion. In this case, with the second transaction following so closely on the heels of the first, where the first clearly upset the buyer enough that he left unequivocally negative feedback (including that "Don't trust the seller" bit), it didn't seem to me that he would swallow his chagrin and risk a second purchase attempt with honest intentions to pay and give fair feedback.

You've said it was your take, and that is fair enough! It could have been the way that you speculated it was. I agree that the seller didn't handle that first transaction in the best way possible and that it could all have been avoided.

Oh! And earlier I'd said that the OP had learned not to leave a negative comment with a green dot. I think I may have assumed too much, since the seller's feedback comment for the buyer in respect of the first transaction has been removed... leaving only the green dot and a comment that the comment was removed by eBay.

Message 37 of 38
Latest reply

I think if the buyer didn't pay for the second item, that puts a different light on things. I had been assuming that the buyer bought and paid for the second item, which is why I had doubts that he would have paid $300 for a $120 item. The logical thing would be to buy it now at $120.

Of course, if he accepted the offer of $300 with no intention of paying, then he did so out of spite & anger.

I do still tend to think the seller could have handled it better. I think if someone made me an offer I did not want to accept, I would either just say no or ignore it, I would not counter with a much higher price, that is a bit provocative & guaranteed to set tempers flaring. Probably safe to do it, mind you, if you blocked the person from buying first.

When a buyer doesn't pay for an item, they are not entitled to leave feedback so I would expect ebay to remove it. Probably a good idea that they removed the seller's feedback too as it didn't show him in his best light.

In short, if this seller thinks a buyer is whatever his expression was, I forget, then he needs to learn to block them, that could save him any grief from them in the future. 

Message 38 of 38
Latest reply