Hi I posted an item with tracking, no signature, and it has not been received. The tracking info sho

Hi I posted an item with tracking, no signature, and it has not been received. The tracking info shows that the item is in transit and has been so for four weeks.

I have filed a lost property with APO. I have been emailing the buyer telling what I have been doing.

My question is if it cannot be found in the system do I have to refund? ($15)

Cannot see on Paypal site if I will be compensated.

I would appreciate advice from experienced sellers. Thank you.

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Hi I posted an item with tracking, no signature, and it has not been received. The tracking info sho

I found the best way to get answers is to ring australia post. I had a parcel that was "lost" according to the buyer and tracking also said in transit, however when australia post checked it had actually been delivered. Their system is more in depth than what we can access. Ring them.
Message 2 of 37
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member

To answer the second part of your question, as long as you satisfy Paypal's requirements for proof of postage, or you used ebay labels or Click and Send, then you won't have to refund if the item has gone missing. The buyer will be reimbursed from Paypal's own coffers.

Paypal_POS.jpg

Message 3 of 37
Latest reply

Sometimes delivery status is not always scanned, so it remains showing as in transit. Even showing delivered does not prove where it was delivered (eg wrong house).

Paypal just need proof you sent it to right address. Lost in post is not your responsibility, that is between paypal/aus post/ buyer. Of course good PR may see you helping out, sometimes even covering for sake of good PR. Insist valuable items are insured to avoid potential conflict.

Some sly buyers do watch tracking and if they recieve an item and tracking does not show as delivered could "try it on", rare, but possible.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 4 of 37
Latest reply

Was the tracking through C&S or the ebay labels system? If so you may be OK but if it was just an ordinary red or express satchel with a tracking number that is not sufficient for Paypal as there is nothing to prove that you snt it to the buyer's address and even if it shows as delivered it is usually just to the nearest mail depot.

For $15 I would refund in full after 4 weeks if the item still showed as undelivered and ask them to please make payment again if the item turned up, the majority of people are honest although it doesn't seem like it reading the boards but by their nature only the deals that go bad are mentioned here.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 37
Latest reply

Please stop posting that regular tracking only usually only shows in tracking to mail delivery centres - it is simply not true.

Tracking on regular satchels works and is meant to be scanned by AP in just the same way as regular post sent via click snd send or ebay labels.

As you do not sent parcels by these means PJ i am nor sure why you are continuing to make this misleading claim about tracking provided by parcel services you do not use.
Message 6 of 37
Latest reply

if the refund is $15, then the package probaly is opne sent as a 500g parcel, in which case the tracking will only show to the depot. The depot then marks the item as delivered as they are releasing it to the post man, before it even leaves the depot.

The post man does not scan this on delivery to your mail box.

If such a package is lost, your avenues of proof to satisfy PayPal for an INR are limited.

You can hope that the postman remembers what he did with that oparcel, if he can't, or he does say he definitely delivered it then you will have a bit of a fight on your hands. How PayPal handles this will vary.

Sometimes, they take the tracking lodgement as proof that you did post the item. Other times, if the buyer is claiming non receipt (even when the package shows as being delivered) PayPal may ask for proof that you posted the item to the address that they provided.

Now, on an ordinary parcel, this is quite trickty as you generally cannot prove what address you wrote on the package.

However, if you used ebay Post or C&S, the info is uploaded and recorded - PayPal takes this as proof that you posted to where they said to, (of course you do need one scanning event, somewhere)

Now if AP have lost your parcel and admit it, they will generally offer the seller a refund on postage. If you push them and mention their discressionary $50 payment, they may well refund you the remaining cost as well.

Now, as we don't have quite have all the facts, there is no way to know for sure what eBay will do, but as it is a relatively smallish amount, if you can afford to, I would be refunding the buyer, regardless iof what Paypal decides and pursuing the AP avenue for compensation.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 7 of 37
Latest reply

The fact is that as far as the proof of posting required by Paypal in Australia is concerned, in order to maintain Seller Protection, the minimum standard acceptable is a normal OTC receipt with the recipient's postcode clearly printed thereon. It really is a simple as that.
Message 8 of 37
Latest reply

I wonder if the OP has such a receipt?

I hope so.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 9 of 37
Latest reply

When I take my C&S parcels to my local PO for lodgement they are no longer able to issue a receipt like they used to.

But they said that even without the receipt the fact that it is lodged over the counter and weight checked by them then Paypal protection is in place.

Message 10 of 37
Latest reply