How Environmentally Friendly is your Business?

Hey guys,

I hope you are all well and surviving the economic challenges.

I had my first 'complaint' recently about my packaging materials which is the first time I have come across this. My background is in packing very fragile items so I admit I do possibly overpack items to ensure safe transit. So in the last few days I received a message from a buyer saying thanks for their delivery but they were disappointed with the use of bubble wrap and the amount used.

I admit we do pack items really well, so they have a point. However, we source all out bubble wrap from a local business that has previously used the bubble wrap so it is clean but used so that they don't have to dispose of it or recycle it. I know you cannot please everyone, and many buyers comment on the excellent packaging and we do try to use previously used clean cardboard as much as possible too. But I wonder if you have ever had this feedback, or how you navigate this issue? I know there are now more environmentally friendly packing materials but as a small seller, we have tried to keep costs down and also trying to re-use where we can.

Any thoughts? The buyer was OK, and has not actually given feedback yet as it was through messages. We did respond and outlined the above, but the buyer has not replied. Appreciate any constructive thoughts.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

This is something I also think about. I too have to send fragile items and do over-wrap (rather than under-wrap). If I am not using AP Pack It Send It boxes then my boxes come courtesy of Bunnings. I buy from real life auction houses – their packaging keeps me in bubble wrap, butcher’s paper and nuggets for ages. That really thin foam that protects white goods (like washing machines) is excellent packaging inside small flat letter rate boxes. I am old-fashioned and get a physical newspaper – I use it to protect books (themselves first protected in re-used inside out plastic bags).

I have not yet had any complaint about “over-packaging” though it will probably come. I would rather deal with that than an irate customer whose item has been damaged in the post.

I remember when I started on eBay 20 years ago sellers used to boast that they only used “brand new” bubble wrap – not “nasty used stuff.” Shows how the world has changed.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Yes, I agree it is a balancing act and quite a complex issue when you are trying to ensure that items arrive undamaged. And I totally agree on rather dealing with this sort of thing than damaged items. I already do try to consider if to use bubble wrap or cardboard but do admit because I am using used bubble wrap, and it comes already pre-cut, I do sometimes just use the whole piece rather than cut it up if it is going to fit in a satchel. I will probably change that and use the bare minimum for safe transit.

And yes, how things have changed. I have seen feedback given to other sellers saying things like 'poorly packed, no protective material used', so sometimes you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. I had thought using used bubble wrap (it is collected from an art studio who use it for frames and sending artwork) would be a good environmental compromise. My buyer will likely not respond which is fine, but it does give you a little jolt to be accused of being 'environmentally irresponsible'.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

I over pack all of my products,  like you I try to reuse bubble wrap, bags of air, bubbles from item I receive so mostly recycle.

But remember one thing, people will just complain, had you under packed they would complain about breakage.  This person most like lives on Faecbook and complains about anything and everything.  Ignore them and continue to pack as you are.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Thanks sugar. I admit that the message got to me a little as it was worded quite aggressively and judgmentally really.I tend to agree with you. Just the other day though I was doing a small business course and they were talking about the worst kind of feedback, which is no feedback, so I am trying to remain open minded and  see the lesson and validity in it.

But just earlier, I thought we will see if they respond. At the end of their message they put "I look forward to hearing back from you', so it will be interesting if they themselves do respond. If not, then I will tend to think they are just virtue signalling because if they were truly as concerned as they say, they would likely be delighted that we use pre-used but very clean bubble wrap as that must be one of the most environmentally friendly things you can do. But if they don't respond, then I will tend to think that they lack integrity which will say a lot about how much they truly care about the environment or if it was just an ego virtue signalling attack.

In saying that though, I think I do over-pack and will take more consideration in future for items that perhaps don't need the bubble wrap and simple cardboard will be used.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

I recently received a delivery from my US parcel forwarder. Included among the items I’d ordered were some more of the Emile Henry range. In the past two such items had arrived broken, so I’ve formed the habit of asking the parcel forwarder to use extra bubble wrap and double-box specific items.

They were brilliant in following my request, and everything arrived safely, but of course I have piles of boxes and bubble wrap to discard in as environmentally responsible a way as possible.

I would much rather deal with all of that than with cracks and chips and broken pieces.

(Mind you, I’m very disappointed by the whole RedCycle collapse debacle…)

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

I mean I can understand the thinking with my buyer to a degree, but of course they don't know how picky other eBay buyers can be. But to be accused of 'as careless about the environment as your company seems to be'.

Like you I have used things like Freecycle to take used boxes and bubble wrap/packing peanuts for years now. We will see if my buyer responds. I feel that if the buyer really does care as much as they say, they would respond to say "oh great, glad to hear it", but I doubt I will get a message back.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

The buyer message did make me consider if I should include a blurb either in my item descriptions or the eBay message I usually send to buyers when I have handed their parcel to AP about the materials we use to pack, but then I reckon I would be creating as much drama as I am trying to avoid. Any thoughts on this idea?

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

I sell fragile items I've made on another ebay account. Just about all my packaging is recycled.

* Bubble wrap saved for me by a local grocer, friends and neighbours.

* Tissue paper saved by same friends and neighbours - even tissue paper used to stuff new shoes.

* Boxes, padded bags and envelopes from various sources including a post office!

So far no one has complained about the extra bubble wrap, air bags or tissue paper with various shoe brand names printed all over it.  A lot feedback left on that account includes a comment on the item being very carefully or very well packed.

If I had a complaint from a buyer about over use of bubble wrap and I could be bothered responding, I'd say it was either use it or it would've gone straight to land fill, and if they so desired they could use it again, or give to an Op shop (not come across one yet that says no to free packaging). I certainly wouldn't stop my recycled packaging because of one DH.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Maybe point out to buyer that you RE-USE all you packing material which is a step above re-cycling, but if the are truly concerned maybe the could REDUCE their online shopping which a) forces the use of packing materials,  b) increases pollution from transport and shop at a local B&M or better yet, only buy what they need rather than whatever they want 😉.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply