How can I invite eBayers to sell our product ?

tia_juib
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

I am currently looking for eBayer to sell our products in Australia. I'm in the hair care industry and have products that are sold to comsumers and businesses. eBay forum is the only place I know and I'm not sure if this space is the right place. I don't really want to go to expos' or product shows yet because I prefer to do my business online for now. Can anyone help ?

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: How can I invite eBayers to sell our product ?

tia_juib
Community Member
You guys crack me up ๐Ÿ™‚ that is so funny.

I appreciate your opinion on this question. I have to admit it was a little left field and you guys are very experienced. So I hope I didn't offend anyone.

It is highly likely I'll reach the same conclusion that you both came to. So I'll have to qualify them before initiating any ideas.

That being said, I found some eBayers selling on my category, through the search technique you recommended, I'll approach them individually and maybe get to know them first before I consider initiating anything.

You guys have been fantastic and I appreciated all your comments. I hope to visit the forum again in the near future. Many thanks again for your inputs. Cheers.
Message 31 of 34
Latest reply

just be aware - you can't send unsolicited messages through ebay :]

for more on the policy you can read here - 

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/rfe-spam-ov.html

it can certainly result in the suspension of your account. i'd definitely be wary of anyone contacting me out of the blue on the ebay which isn't in relation to buying my products. 

Message 32 of 34
Latest reply

tia_juib
Community Member
Oh thats good to know. I'll definitely look into that. Cheers.
Message 33 of 34
Latest reply

@tia_juib wrote:

Thanks digital*ghost and rocket2retro for those information. The chemicals in the hair dye and peroxide appear to be in the prohibit list so I'm not sure how guys selling hair dye are getting away with sending it. Perhaps they're just not disclosing it or during a courier that can. Something I'll have to talk to Australis post about.

Some people aren't aware. Some people don't care. Others would have a DG licence.

As for marketing, I wonder if any eBayers use social media networks like FB or Instagram to build fan and followers. I'm under the impression that businesses use social media strategy to build up followers and eventually use promotions such as competitions, giveaway etc. to drive sales.

If it's a set of steak knives, I'm in!

I was thinking of using the same strategy as my research tells me that FB is the 4th most visited website in Australia behind google and youtube. I'm already building this and all I needed is to have my distributions in place, but from the conversations I've been having with your guys, I think my biggest challenge is convincing eBayers to join me. 

That being said, if we were to put a price on potential earnings (minimum net) to eBayers to attract some interest, from your perspective, what do you think that number you be ? 

Oh, somewhere around the $500,000 a week would be a good start. More realistically would be around $10 a month.

If you are going to buy your products online cheap, then flog them off to a sucker seller to sell at a profit, what's to stop them buying the same item for the price you are and getting twice as much profit? Once they've bought the product to sell, do you then get a % of the profit they make?

I don't want to rain on your parade because you sound very excited about this, but you'd make more money selling empty iPhone and iPad boxes. Playstation boxes are a big seller too. EBay is rapidly dying thanks to Chinese sellers and the big names like Good Guys and Dick Smith. That's the way eBay wants it. Plus, most people are happy to buy their haircare products locally. No expensive postage.

Mr Tippy goes through a bottle of Caltrate calcium tablets every 2 weeks. At around $10 a bottle, it soon adds up. I looked on eBay and can get them 50c to $1 cheaper, but with between $7.50 and $10 postage. The postage cost is nearly another bottle. I think you'd probably find that buyers will feel the same way. Some things look cheap on the surface, but when you see the big picture, the cost is prohibitive.

As for your comment about buying from the Chinese, clearly hundreds of thousands of people each week have no issue with it. The Chinese are making a killing on eBay, unlike a lot of other sellers. Sure, some don't want to wait for it to arrive, so will buy locally, but with Aust Post the way it is sometimes, stuff from China often arrives before something posted domestic. I've bought a lot from China over the years. Only one thing never turned up. Delivery is always within 2 weeks. A couple of times it took longer, but one was something I bought during Chinese New Year and another bought in the October, where there is some other Chinese celebration whereby items are delayed.

Good luck with it all. It's too risky for me. I'm out.

Cheers,

12 yo school girl.

Message 34 of 34
Latest reply