How can ebay still morally and ethically charge commissions for shipping fees?!?!?

In 2021, i'm still amazed that ebay continue to charge seller fees for postage. How can this still be the case?

We can choose a specific Australia Post cost based on the item size and weight, so eBay know this is a fixed cost, not a profit, so why is ebay still charging commissions on shipping fees?

Its a disgrace and if not addressed soon, i'll raise it with the ACCC and Ombudsmen. And leave eBay permanently after that.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

How can ebay still morally and ethically charge commissions for shipping fees?!?!?

There's no point being offended by eBay's fee structure, on moral or ethical grounds - as in, this won't fly with the ACCC. It didn't several years ago, and it definitely won't now. 

If you want to make a change, you would need solid evidence of that fee structure being in breach of specific laws / regulations, or you will need to prove that it actively stifles competition and / or hurts consumer choice (and those aren't points you can work backwards on, or find a theory that matches and conclude it must be true, you need data that proves it. Being personally disadvantaged by it also won't matter to the ACCC, because in a nutshell all you would be saying to them is "I contracted a service and then when I was made to pay for it, I thought it was too expensive, despite it being the exact percentage of X I knew it was going to be"). 

There are many practices eBay should be taken to task for, IMHO, I laid quite a few of them out in the survey the ACCC recently conducted, but JMHO the fees on postage is one of the more benign ones. That survey is now closed, but you can find more info about it here - it's worth taking a look at, because it will help show you exactly what the ACCC is interested in when looking at online marketplaces. (My impression was that they were most interested in the "other" site's practices, the one where they have their own warehouse and often sell the same things their sellers do, and just threw a couple of other sites into the mix in the interest of looking fair / unbiased, lol). https://consultation.accc.gov.au/mergers-and-adjudication/survey-for-small-business-sellers-general-...

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Please do

Check out the facts first though rather than basing it on your personal opinion 

Nobody like fees so why are there any fees? 

People do not like the GST so better report it

It has been answered to death

addressed to death

'Reported' to the ACCC and Ombudsmen to death

eBay are not going to notice nor care if you leave, so let them know your thoughts before you go

Unless there is a reason you believe there should be a fee exemption just for you

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

I don't know why you're amazed - Amazon, Etsy and all other platforms charge a FVF based on the combined value of the transaction. 

It is also clearly laid out in the fee structure, to which you agree the minute you list a single item for sale.

In the old days, Ebay only charge a fee on the item, not the postage, so many sellers put their item at $1.00 and the postage at $500 (for example), knowing that they would only pay fees on the $1.00. Ebay eventually wised up and changed it and that's why all platforms charge fees on the combined value.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

My question to you is how can you  morally and ethically ask that question,  when it has being done to death for at least 7 years possibly more,   you have agreed to the Terms and Conditions.  It's 2021 and you are still living in the 80's.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

Why do they charge fees on postage?  

Simple.  If they didn't, people would sell $20 items for $1 plus $19 for postage, and thus avoid fees.

Is it a disgrace?

No.  Not at all

Is it fair to sellers?

Yes. 100%. Ebay fees are a cost of business and should be factored into your business plan and pricing structure.  Business 101

Should you report it to the ACCC

No.  Unless you enjoy wasting people's time and being laughed at

Should you leave Ebay?

Yes.  100%.  Cya

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

I'm guessing OP is screaming because of the $50 postage on the last item sold.

Pick up only might have worked better - or learn about fees.

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

Smart sellers know how to combine all fees and charges into the price so that they are not out of pocket.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

Its not a personal opinion, its a statement.

Here's an example:

Aus Post charge $9.4 for a prepaid satchel. You then ad in Aus Post tracking when selling. Why should you be charged a fee for postage if the cost to you is $9.4? Its simply immoral. 

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

So there is now a way to get around this and its by a reasonable shipping cost. Yes, people used to do the $1 cost and $500 shipping but eBay now has visibility on Aus Post costs.

Here's an example:

Aus Post charge $9.4 for a prepaid satchel. You then ad in Aus Post tracking when selling. Why should you be charged a fee for postage if the cost to you is $9.4? Its simply immoral. 

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Just because something has been done for 7 years, doesn't make it right.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply