How do I change my Paypal settings so that buyers must give their phone number?

Hi,

I have a paragraph in my checkout instructions which says this:

'To avoid any delays with despatching your order, please let us know your best contact number on checkout. Some items are shipped via courier and the driver often calls before they deliver to organise a suitable day/time for delivery'.

I'd say that approximately NOBODY has even read, or actioned on this!!

I usually end up emailing the buyer after they have made payment, to chase up their phone number which inevitably delays shipping of orders while I wait for a reply.

If I manage to catch them BEFORE they pay, and send an ebay invoice, I can see their phone number.  But once they have paid, I cannot see the number anymore if I go back into their order details.

Does anyone know if there is a setting on Paypal (Or eBay), where the buyer HAS to provide their phone number on checkout?    I've had a good old mooch around, but can't find anything.

Thanks Chabra.aus 🙂

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How do I change my Paypal settings so that buyers must give their phone number?

You can do this by going to My eBay > Account > Site Preferences > Postage Preferences.

Expand the heading, then tick the box that says " Require phone number for postage" and apply. 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: How do I change my Paypal settings so that buyers must give their phone number?

You can do this by going to My eBay > Account > Site Preferences > Postage Preferences.

Expand the heading, then tick the box that says " Require phone number for postage" and apply. 🙂

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Yes we have the same problem, as most of our items are sent via courier and require a contact phone number for the courier companies. we used to and still occasionaly send buyers emails asking for a contact number then wait paitentely for a return emailwith those details, but sometimes would take 10 emails and a lengthydelay before we were given that info, now with a the new Ebay rules does not look good when items are sent out a week or more after the sale date. So then we found another method to obtain buyers phone numbers (as every one when registering with Ebay has to enter a phone number ) was by using the find contact details, which you can only do with other members you are dealing with, and that gives you their phone number, but buyers felt uneasy about that, as they wanted to know why Ebay was looking for their contact info. Than found out more by accident then know how if we logged into Ebay UK and looked at our order details buyers phone numbers were shown there with the address details, that was great for about a year or so, then one day Ebay UK suddenly changed and no longer displayed that info anymore.

So back to method one and two, but now if you have a smartphone, download the Ebay app and when you look at order details lo and behold buyers phone numbers are displayed, the only time you do not see a phone number is for old Ebay ID s or certain countries, but overall is great as we can send items same day now, except were payments are now held for 21 days (but thats all been covered elsewhere )

Cheers

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Whoop Whoop, I knew there would be a way!! 

Thanks so much - EXACTLY what I was looking for.

🙂

@digital*ghost wrote:

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply