How do I export my Ebay products to a CSV file

I have over 300 items on ebay and would like to export them to a CSV file for editing and then re import.  Is this possible?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@dazzledayz wrote:

The level of programming required is beyond most ebay users but if you can find a good image host, as I said earlier, File Exchange is sort of workable.

File Exchange is not for everyboby and is very unlikely to be used by a seller who only has a few items. It is meant for those listing 100s if not 1000s of items and as such they are likely to already have a website, and a hosting site to store images. Personally I find File Exchange pretty reliable, and quick once you get use to it, although it does have a reasonably steep learning curve. Maybe I am lucky but I can access a database xml file and extract all the info I need and not only build descriptions but all the other paramaters quickly and use xslt to drop it into a csv file. This didn't happen overnight but with Turbo Lister being shut down there was an incentive to learn File Exchange, which is free, rather than folk out yet more money to eBay leechs.

If you have Turbo Lister you can export your files in File Exchange Format which gives you a pretty good starting point, although there are still changes that need to be made to the files. In regards to images I have had no real issues, however I am not using variations.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

It's possible, but I've never done it so I can't advise or offer any specific instruction.

This is the basic info page from eBay: https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/selling-tools/file-exchange?id=4096

If you have access to file exchange already, there is a FAQs list here: https://pages.ebay.com.au/file_exchange/SMP_faq.html

There were a bunch of YouTube videos that came up when I searched (just by sellers who use it thmeselves etc), so they may provide some helpful hints as well. 

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

gec2002
Community Member

Go the Seller Hub - Overview

Click File Exchange

In File Exchange Click Download Files
Under "LIstings and Records" Select "Active"

Download Format "Standard"

Date Range "All Active Listings"

Enter your email address - eBay will email when the file is ready. With 300 items this shoulld be less than 10 mins.

Click Completed Downloads

Click Download and either Save or Open the file in Excel.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

eyetwitch.gif  Didn't understand a word of all that, but boy, I'm impressed.    

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

eyetwitch.gif  Didn't understand a word of all that, but boy, I'm impressed.    

original.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

@gec2002 wrote:

Go the Seller Hub - Overview

Click File Exchange

In File Exchange Click Download Files
Under "LIstings and Records" Select "Active"

Download Format "Standard"

Date Range "All Active Listings"

Enter your email address - eBay will email when the file is ready. With 300 items this shoulld be less than 10 mins.

Click Completed Downloads

Click Download and either Save or Open the file in Excel.

My apologies I misread your question I thought that you only wanted a list of your Active Items, not edit and relist.  This is still possible with File Exchange but limited to revising the Price, Quantity, Title, Custom Label or add Unique Identifiers.

Method is as above to "Download Format "Standard""

instead use "File Exchange" Format and "Revise Price and Quantity"

Then as before to download.

In the CSV File for each item row, list Action as Revise, make your other changes and use the File Exchange "Upload Files" to enter changes.

If you still have Turbo Lister you can make your changes in the Listing Activity Section.  Unfortunately Turbo Lister is being Phase Out and not readily available from eBay any more.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

@freotools wrote:

I have over 300 items on ebay and would like to export them to a CSV file for editing and then re import.  Is this possible?

That's quite doable and you can also use File Exchange to create listings but (and it's a big BUT), you'll have to host your images off eBay.

Here's the Basic Template Guide from eBay:

File Exchange Guide

Whereas Turbolister accessed the ebay image servers to upload your pics and link them to your listing, file exchange does not.

You are only able to provide URL's for the images in your listing so you will obviously need to know them beforehand.

You cannot upload images directly to the eBay image servers and get back a list of the URL's.

(at least not easily)

You'd have to use a third party image hosting site and carefully line up all the URL's they provide for your images which ebay will then call when your listing is viewed by a buyer.

The only way to do new listings AND host the images on the eBay servers is to make use of the API's and that is a whole other level of technicality.

This is how Auctiva, Inkfrog and other 3rd party listing tools operate but they'll charge you for it.

Here's a YouTube video that gives you an idea of just one API integration using PHP:

API with PHP

Here's the page for dealing with the eBay image servers:

ebay PIc Severs

The level of programming required is beyond most ebay users but if you can find a good image host, as I said earlier, File Exchange is sort of workable.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

I've used CSV files via the File Exchange tool to do what you are asking about, but with very limited success.

File Exchange uploads are full of bugs which the TurboData people (admin of File Exchange) don't have any plans to fix.

You also cannot upload image files via this medium. You need to have some kind of external remote file server on which you temporarily place your image files then provide a URL to them in the CSV files. The image files are then transferred to the EPS (ebay picture servers). Well!!! That's the plan anyway.

But herein lies the major problem.... The image files do not transfer properly to the EPS. Some goto the EPS as described, but if you have variations the variation images remain on the remote server with a link to them from the listing. This appears to work OK until some time into the future if/when you wish to edit the listing manually then there is an error which deletes all your variation images because mixed mode listings are not allowed. So you then have no option but to redo those listings manually. This was no good to me as the majority of my listings have variations. Ebay acknowledge this problem but have no plans to fix it.

So you are much better off paying a monthly subscription fee to one of the third party listing tools which are able to perform these functions.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

@dazzledayz wrote:

File Exchange is not for everyboby and is very unlikely to be used by a seller who only has a few items. It is meant for those listing 100s if not 1000s of items and as such they are likely to already have a website, and a hosting site to store images. Personally I find File Exchange pretty reliable, and quick once you get use to it, although it does have a reasonably steep learning curve. Maybe I am lucky but I can access a database xml file and extract all the info I need and not only build descriptions but all the other paramaters quickly and use xslt to drop it into a csv file. This didn't happen overnight but with Turbo Lister being shut down there was an incentive to learn File Exchange, which is free, rather than folk out yet more money to eBay leechs.

If you have Turbo Lister you can export your files in File Exchange Format which gives you a pretty good starting point, although there are still changes that need to be made to the files. In regards to images I have had no real issues, however I am not using variations.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

if you haven't done it how do you know it is possible.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply