How do I know which thread has the most recent answer?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Now that we've got the "New Look" boards, the newest answer doesn't show at the top of the page anymore - a bonus for those threads that got bumped after many years of sitting in the past. The other bonus is that posters who continually bumped threads on their "favorite" topics now don't see them appear at the top either.

There is another way however, if you click on the bell at the top of the page new answers and kudos are there.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

As you scroll through the threads you will see the last responders name in blue on the rhs - with date and time

Capture.JPG

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

@merfar2107,

In spite of every helpful suggestion, to the best of my knowledge the ability to sort threads on the basis of most recent answer is gone. Gone, gone, gone.

I agree with padi that this has one particular benefit... in that very old, irrelevant threads will not appear at the top of your list in a particular board. Those old threads can no longer be bumped.

However, let's say that an eBay member comes to these forums looking for help. They start typing their question in the "search for content" image. Up comes a thread that seems quite relevant. They post in it. They wait for an answer. But there will never come an answer because no one knows that the eBayer has posted upon it!

Result: eBay member will think that they are being ignored, or there's no one here to answer, and the roll-on effect is that fewer people will post.

Perhaps that is eBay's intention. Or perhaps eBay truly thinks that this is a wonderful design and that the functionality is fine.

countessalmirena_0-1616691744886.gif

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

I have the same concern. Old threads being posted on is an issue for a few reasons, but the least of those reasons (perhaps JMO) was that they were brought to the attention of everyone else again (despite how grumpy it made some ๐Ÿคฃ ). 

If old threads are not locked and can still be posted on, I struggle to see the logic behind making them effectively invisible -  no one is going to look beyond the first page for new posts, and only threads intended for continual input or of special interest are going to be bookmarked or floated by individual users.

The whole point of forums like these is supposed to be so that people who need help, can get help - they're meant to be specifically geared towards creating a low(er)-cost community that uses volunteers to reduce the burden on actual CS, which in turn resolves issues for members so that they can continue to use the site, and keeps people engaged with eBay. 

So, if it's an intentional change, it's a very poorly informed one, IMHO. 

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Further to my original reply, if you click on the bell at the top of the page it seems that the notifications only apply to threads that you've previously replied to. However, it you are subscribed to a board, email notifications will show all new content. Below is a post that I didn't respond to but I still received an email for it but there was no notification under the bell.

Capture.PNG

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

The easiest fix I can see is for eBay to STOP "suggested topics" coming up as a poster starts to type thier question.

Disable that and the poster simply keeps  typing the question - simples

Pretty sure one click of a button at the tech end of thigs will manage that. Will it happen ? He!! no

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

And just like magic, the threads with new replies are now being floated to the top.   YAY

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Yes, I couldn't believe my eyes this morning (in a good way).

It means we're back to having ancient threads pop up but it's  small price to pay, compared to having to scroll forever to see where recent posts had been made.

Surely there must be some internet wizard at ebay though who could figure out a way to lock threads over 12 months old to read only?

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply