How does this scam work?

tomfrh
Community Member
Someone contacted me and offered to buy something from me. They claim to be working on an ocean vessel and are buying the item as present for their cousin in some other place.

They offered to pay by PayPal or direct deposit.

I understand the PayPal, as they can do an "item not received" cchargeback scam. But how does it work with direct deposit?
Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

How does this scam work?

I'm not sure how the direct deposit scam works, but I'd assume they would tell you they have paid it, and possibly send a fake screenshot showing payment details. They may then encourage you to post as they have shown proof they have paid. A new seller might see that as enough "proof" and post.

It sounds like you already know this is a scammer. Don't forget to add them to your block list and report them to eBay. I haven't heard the one where they're on an offshore vessel. Must be a new one! Let me guess, the cousin is in Nigeria?

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

How does this scam work?

They also try to get as many personal details, name, bank account numbers, date of birth, eBay ID etc.

Then onsell the info to hackers.

image host
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

How does this scam work?

Ahhh yes, that's a good point too. Normally someone just having your bank details can't do anything to it apart from deposit, but in the wrong hands it could be a different story. Generally speaking your details are safe, but who knows what hackers are capable of these days?

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

How does this scam work?

it's been around for years. They usually want to 'pay' with Paypal and add a bit for a courier. They also often claim to not be able to do half of what they should (like organising and paying for a courier) because they don't have internet access.

They tend to look for self-selectors; like people who believe them when they say they have no internet access, even though they are using eBay and supposedly have access to their Paypal account.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

How does this scam work?

go-tazz
Community Member

If you check out this guide it's basically similar to how this scam works.

http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/Nigeria-is-a-scam-Fake-shipping-agent-Contact-Live-Help-/1000000001695207...

The bank deposit would be to try and get you to reveal your contact details via phishing Email or saying

that they paid so it's safe to send when it's not).

Or it's a ruse and they'll say they can't pay that way as their bank has "flagged" it,(or similar scenarios).

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

How does this scam work?

tomfrh
Community Member
Thanks for the help. It's as you said.

I answered "yes please!" and they sent me some a fake receipt showing they've sent the money to PayPal, who will relinquish the funds to me once i forward the item tracking number to PayPal.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

How does this scam work?

It's bad enough that we need to put up with dodgy "genuine" buyers, but this is also another trap for the unwary seller.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

How does this scam work?

Aus Post have trouble deliverying to the next suburb let alone an off shore vessel.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

How does this scam work?

They have contacted me over the years approximately 3 times.  They always want to buy the very expensive items.  The first time they contacted me they wasted a lot of my time because I almost fell for it wanted to make a big sale - I suppose with the amount of messages they send out they must catch some of us.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply