How hard would it be

....for eBay to say, “Shipping inclusive in item price” instead of “FREE eBay shipping?”

Two untruthful inferences are to be drawn from their assertion which is at the top of each listing if you provide so called free shipping. The first being that it is actually free, which in reality it’s not. The second is that ‘somehow’ it’s provided at the good grace of eBay, not the seller.

This is so annoying to me. Saying it’s FREE is dishonest and insulting to the intelligence of buyers. Saying it’s EBAY SHIPPING is misleading and deceptive conduct as far as I’m concerned. Although I guess if ever Free Shipping became an issue of any portent there’s an easy out for eBay in the statement, “We were unaware that sellers were inflating the buying price with shipping charges.”

Nothing can be done I guess. We have our little fight-back by saying in our listings that shipping is, “inclusive in the item price.”

Our own research, although not with eBay customers which might present a flaw in methodology, is that if buyers are given a choice between Free Shipping (with the knowledge that it was added to the item price), Item Plus Shipping and Seller Subsidised Shipping, the majority will choose the latter for a number of reasons, but the main one being that they are ‘More Comfortable’ with a seller who is not trying to pull the wool over their eyes and who is seen to be making some attempt to ‘honestly’ assist. This of course, flys in the face of ebay’s Own polling.

Two of the interesting comments that sometimes accompanied the Free Shipping option were,,,, “I hate mucking about finding shipping costs to see what the actual price of the item is” and “If the seller lies about shipping, what else is a lie?” No mention of this in eBay’s polling, yet I suggest it was present.

We’ve drilled down quite a lot deeper, but it’s too much for here. People polled were mainly from the waste management industry in which we are involved outside of eBay, and family and friends.

Just interesting I think.

Melina.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

How hard would it be

This is from my perspective as a buyer (not as a seller as I don't offer free postage on the vast majority of my listings). 

When the total amount is listed as a sales price (and nothing for postage) - and the eBay offer of 10% off arises - you get 10% off the full amount rather than having to pay full price for postage plus 90% of the sales price.  This is an amount that slogs eBay some money - so I do tend to prefer it when there is nothing listed in postage.  I understand fully that postage will have been included in the total amount - so don't really think of seller as lying (but that might be influenced by my knowledge gained as a seller).  I kmow some buyers have expressed some surprise when they know how much postage actually costs.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

How hard would it be

It seems to be the industry standard. There are a lot of sites that state 'free shipping' when it probably should be 'shipping included'. I have yet to find any that use the latter term.

Given how long it has been since eBay was in any way innovative, I think we will have to wait until the accepted standard is 'shipping included'.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

How hard would it be

... or until McDonalds serve McInsect Burgers or hospitals offer discounted organ transplants when it's BYO Organ.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

How hard would it be

@clubesquire wrote:

Two of the interesting comments that sometimes accompanied the Free Shipping option were,,,, “I hate mucking about finding shipping costs to see what the actual price of the item is” and “If the seller lies about shipping, what else is a lie?” No mention of this in eBay’s polling, yet I suggest it was present.

eBay load their surveys with their own bias, which is another reason never to trust their statistics.

eg Asking someone if they would prefer to pay postages costs, or get postage for free will all but guarantee a heavy swing in favour of free postage. 

Another site is currently taking an even heavier handed approach than eBay to try to get sellers to switch to 'free' post, if you can imagine that, and it's honestly driving me up the wall, so I've been getting on my soapbox about if of late (not so much the pros and cons of free postage in and of itself, but it bothers me that sites like eBay, and others of their ilk, act like it's the only alternative postage model that will drive success; when other models like flat rate or capped postage can be far more effective for some businessess - considering these are never mentioned as alternatives, it suggests to me that the push for sellers to switch to "free" does not really come from a place of buyer or seller interest). 

I avoid the word "free", personally, when I talk about postage, and usually stick to "inlcuded" or other phrases like pay no extra (when talking about combined postage rates / discounts) The industry can do whatever they like, I'll just keep doing what I think is right. 🙂 

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

How hard would it be

If it says "inclusive of postage" when a buyer wants to return an item for change of mind, the seller can rightly make the buyer pay the original postage, which would result in dispute and a possible escalation to ebay. That is, more work for ebay.

If it says "Free, FREE, FREE!" then seller coughs up the attrocious postage. No need to bother ebay about it. Everybody is happy, balloons everywhere.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

How hard would it be

I can remember this same discussion some years ago now, where a few of us felt it should say 'shipping included' rather than free delivery as we all know postal delivery is not 'free'.

It's true that several other online sites (I am thinking of retail sites, not ones where anyone can set up as a seller) also use the term free delivery. I've found though that it usually includes words such as 'for purchases over $50' or 'this weekend only'.

I think in those cases, customers are then very well aware that delivery usually costs extra but will be covered by the seller, so it is seen as an extra bonus, if you like, for spending over a certain amount.

So several other sites do use the term free delivery, but whether this would influence ebay I don't know as after all, most other sites that use the term click & collect have that as a free pick up option, which is why it sometimes causes confusion to customers here on ebay when they see it on an ad. They can assume it is an alternative to postage but with ebay, it means something else.

My suspicion for why they use the term free postage is because it is shorter, more easily fitted into a banner, it is easily understood & anything with the word free in it might sound like a bargain.

I think a lot of customers probably wouldn't care that much which term was used but do like it when postage is included as they don't have to do any maths sums in their heads to work out the total cost. It's 'at a glance' stuff.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

How hard would it be

Free postage on an item gives the buyer the illusion that they're saving money. Most know that postage is not free, but it's all in the perception. Call it the power of the mind.

A few years ago a seller in China had 2 identical items up for auction. One was 1c start price with $49.99 postage. I should add that this was well after fees on postage came in. The other item was $50 start price with free postage. I won the 1c auction, no other bidders. The free post auction went for over $90.

The buyer would have thought they had got a bargain, especially with free post. They would see paying $50 postage a complete rip off, especially coming out of China. They don't look at the overall price. $90 with free postage is way better than 1c with $50 postage.

I agree that the term free postage sucks. I mention postage being included on "free post" items. I doubt eBay will change the wording because buyers jump at free postage. If they said postage included, the illusion of a bargain would be gone. It would remind buyers that they are still paying for postage, but it's included in the purchase price.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply