How to dispute negative feedback left

A buyer recently left me negative feedback without contacting me first on the grounds that i had tried to give the impression the item is new even though it clearly says used in description. The pictures i provided showed the imperfections in the item.  The buyer has been a member for a year but hasn't had too many transactions. I can see there are areas for improvements in my listings but would obviously like to dispute the negative feedback. I've messaged the buyer who seems pretty anger. How do i dispute the feedback?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I would RING eBay (or use the call me option and they will call you) and ask them to remove the feedback due to the reason it was left was mentioned in the description. You said in the description they were primed in black. The buyer complained they had been painted. The listing clearly states the items are used. My guess is the buyer has looked at the title and the main photo and not gone any further before they bid.

In future, don't reply to feedback if there is a chance you can get it removed. It's much harder to get it removed when you've replied. Still ring them though. If you don't get any luck with the first person you speak to, ask to speak to a supervisor. By getting eBay to call you usually gets you someone who is second rung from the bottom on the ladder, rather than floor level.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member

Firstly, no buyer ever has to contact you prior to leaving feedback or for any other reason, and its not "rude" if they dont. They are buyers, it is their perogative. Dont play that card, it makes you look bad.

At the bottom of this page theres a link "Help & Contact". Click it.  It will give you a list of options - if you find and click on the "removing feedback" link it wont give you any option to contact Ebay. So, what I do is click "Report a Member", then click "report inappropriate feedback". At the bottom of that page theres a blue "contact us" button. click it. At the bototm of that page is a "Email Us" button where you can email Ebay with the issue.

Or just go HERE.  if that link doesnt work for you, just go to the contact and help button at the bottom of this page and click random things until you find an email option - thats what I usually do Lol

Make sure you include the buyers ID, Item ID / number and the issue - remove all emotion and keep it professional. If the feedback violates EBays policies, they will remove it, if it doesnt, they wont.

I recommend asking them to remove the DEFECT, not the feedback, because they are more likely to do that. The DEFECT is what actually affects your score on Ebay. The neg feedback will eventually disappear in all the positive feedback you receive.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Problem is buyer did not say you advertised them as new, simply that they were broken and repaired superficially to look like new condition again, ie repair not mentioned. Ebay could see it as not described. it becomes a personal opinion on condition then, and they wont remove on those grounds.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

The feedback will not be removed unless it coincides with Feedback Removal Policy. I copped a neutral for (Item was not the expected Size),. Item was listed - Size 8,  Item posted - Size 8. I asked eBay to remove it but they refused on the grounds that as they did not see the item it is the buyers opinion. Also at no point did they contact me, which most don't do anyway.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

I would ring ebay and ask to have the feedback/defect removed on the grounds the item was never listed as new.

You may or may not get anywhere but at least you will have tried.

I doubt many buyers contact sellers when they are determined to give a neg. If it is about a problem they might, but those who feel they have been duped probably don't see any point. It's their way of getting back at you.

I understand where you're coming from-the items are clearly listed as used. But I don't think the photos do show defects clearly. You say that in your description-that they may not!

Just my opinion but I think you would be better to cut out that sentence and instead, each ad, make a mention of any specific defects, even if it is only a general comment such as 'these have been used and have some surface scratches" (or whatever it is they have).

That won't cause every buyer to read a description properly but at least you will more clearly cover yourself.

Plus, you have a big spiel about packaging and how you aren't responsible for breakages. All care, no responsibility type comment.

You might as well delete that too as it just isn't true and is only going to put people's backs up. Better to just say you pack very carefully but if there should ever be any problems, you would like them to contact you.

These days, if someone takes a photo of a broken or chipped or otherwise faulty item and claims it must have been sent that way, I'm guessing ebay will side with them and refund.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

@designers*n*more wrote:

The feedback will not be removed unless it coincides with Feedback Removal Policy. I copped a neutral for (Item was not the expected Size),. Item was listed - Size 8,  Item posted - Size 8. I asked eBay to remove it but they refused on the grounds that as they did not see the item it is the buyers opinion. Also at no point did they contact me, which most don't do anyway.

I just had one removed because fb said too small. Tag size was listed along with dimensions and disclaimer to not rely on tags size but to check dimensions. I guess that is because buyer was not directly say description was wrong. 

If buyer says description is wrong or missing vital information, then it becomes an opinion and can't be proved otherwise, on that basis they wont remove it.

If a buyer claims information is is not provided, and it is, then they will remove.

Non of this will matter soon anyway as they are changing the whole fb & defect system

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

I would ring ebay and ask to have the feedback/defect removed on the grounds the item was never listed as new.

You may or may not get anywhere but at least you will have tried.

I doubt many buyers contact sellers when they are determined to give a neg. If it is about a problem they might, but those who feel they have been duped probably don't see any point. It's their way of getting back at you.

I understand where you're coming from-the items are clearly listed as used. But I don't think the photos do show defects clearly. You say that in your description-that they may not!

Just my opinion but I think you would be better to cut out that sentence and instead, each ad, make a mention of any specific defects, even if it is only a general comment such as 'these have been used and have some surface scratches" (or whatever it is they have).

That won't cause every buyer to read a description properly but at least you will more clearly cover yourself.

Plus, you have a big spiel about packaging and how you aren't responsible for breakages. All care, no responsibility type comment.

You might as well delete that too as it just isn't true and is only going to put people's backs up. Better to just say you pack very carefully but if there should ever be any problems, you would like them to contact you.

These days, if someone takes a photo of a broken or chipped or otherwise faulty item and claims it must have been sent that way, I'm guessing ebay will side with them and refund.

This^^^

Ebay reps dont always check too closely and there is nothing lost by giving it a shot. I have had them removed when it seemed unlikely.

I have found it best not to sent damaged items as if buyers are disapointed, regardless of fault, it comes back and bites you. Makin ga big song and dance about flaws substantially reduces price to make it not worth it. Always aim for buyers being impressed and relieved item is better than expected when they recieve things to keep you dispute free.

The cheaper an item the less likely they are to contact as the money spent is no biggie, its more the principle.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

yeah i agree with springzone

having too many disclaimers makes it too defensive, as if you are expecting problems.

on one soldier it looks like there is a glob of ? blue tack? but the rest look in good condition, individual photos included would help and only takes another minute or so for the whole lot. im guessing people who buy these things know about them so maybe say soldeir tom has a broken foot, but its not noticable, instead of all the disclaimers. there is not much meat to the add, but a lot of general instructions.

since ebay clearly sides with the buyer in most disputes, cover yourself as much as possible.

after reading comments from a lot of sellers here recently, i put a stack of used (designer) labels in the goodwill bin just yesterday, all in very good condition. if your not going to get a decent price, its a waste of time and resources better used elsewhere. its a shame but the used clothing market is dying. i didnt have enough for a garage sale!!

as for not contacting you beforehand, i think some people just dont know how to go about getting a satisfactory outcome if they are not happy with something, so dont try.  and hey, thats better than false claims, that so many are getting here. if ebay wont help you, contact the buyer and ask if they would like a refund, even if only on the figures they are not happy with, trying to assist the buyer, could get them to change the feedback.

good luck

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

dont ask ebay they side with the buyer i had a buyer no proof it was glass lens ,he could have dropped or swapped gave a good partial refund, took the money THEN left a negative feed ,all i get is the Ebay rhetoric see you have been a member 15 years etc etc and this one negative sorry we cant help!!!!! 

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply