How will GST affect Australian sellers if it's introduced for any sale. anywhere?

I already pay eBay and Paypal for every sale (and presumably they pay tax on that)  in Australa; I'm  perplexed as to why Joe Hockey wants to impose open slather GST n eBay transactions. I can see how he will enforce this on eBay, but how will he enforce it on the print only editiuon of the "Trading Post" - seems to me that some private sales will be hit by GST but others not. I can't see how that's good legislation.

I'm really befuddled because if some dude sells something through the classifieds of the local paper, then he gets the whole amount with no tax. If I sell the same thing on eBay then I get slugged by eBay and Paypal for the transaction and then I've also got Joe Hockey beathing down my neck for GST - I mean, is there any point in sellign stuff any more?

I think that there are many sellers like myself who rely on a small profit after postage, eBay charges and Paypal charges are deducted; if I had a whinge about those, then I'd whinge about them, but I don't. But if GST is going to be introduced (for ANYTHING according to Joe Hockey) then it's not going to be worth my while to sell on eBay.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

How will GST affect Australian sellers if it's introduced for any sale. anywhere?

I was purchasing items valued under $1000 from companies overseas with no problem, now with the new GST laws these companies want me to provide and ABN or they will no longer sell goods values at under $1000. I am a individual with a hobby and made a very small amount of money from that hobby. Now with the new laws it has destroyed my eBay sales as it is not viable to buy items to a value of over $1000 then pay freight, eBay fees, PayPal fees, duties tax & GST, I was barely making a profit as it was. I can see eBay losing a lot of sellers because of the new GST laws, the price of items I sell on eBay would have to rise at least 20% just to compensate the extra costs, which means customers will no longer purchase due to the price rise. It's really sad we have to be subject to so many taxes so politicians can line their pockets while the little people constantly get beaten for every cent possible!

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

@cheapas

please enlighten me as to how politicians are lining their pockets with this GST on low-cost imports?  I truly wish to know.

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

Genuine question cheapas, You describe your blackmilk clothing as " museum item ". I dont know anything about Game Of Thrones, but what does the " museum item " bit refer too ? I always thought " museum item " was only for old, rare stuff.

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

Have you looked for the same or similar products on ebay?

You will still pay the GST but you can buy smaller quantities and just pay the extra 10% when you pay through paypal.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

neroowoo
Community Member

Just brought some book from overseas because they are cheaper and harder to find in Australia. When I checked out with PP an additional amount was charged on them (GST). When you go into your PP account it lists it as a separate transaction. When I brought from an Australian seller this didn't occur. It only affects overseas purchases, still cheaper then buying here for somethings.

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

@neroowoo wrote:

Just brought some book from overseas because they are cheaper and harder to find in Australia. When I checked out with PP an additional amount was charged on them (GST). When you go into your PP account it lists it as a separate transaction. When I brought from an Australian seller this didn't occur. It only affects overseas purchases, still cheaper then buying here for somethings.

thanks for letting us know about the PayPal breakdown.

As for continuing to buy from overseas because it is still cheaper . . . .  that is what many of us have been saying.

There are those who have vowed to stop buying from overseas just because of the GST.  Seems they would rather pay higher total prices domestically rather than paying less by buying from an overseas seller (even with GST added).

The lengths some people will go to to avoid paying this exorbitant outrageous invasion on their buying rights that others simply call 10% GST !!!!!!!!!

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply