I Have Just Issued A Refund Can The Buyer Still Leave Feedback?

I have just refunded a buyer his money because the Address Postcode did not match where he wanted it sent can he/she still leave feedback after a Complete refund was sent.??

Message 1 of 71
Latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

The comments re changing street name are ridiculous.
Message 11 of 71
Latest reply

@spottymeg53 wrote:

They paid by Paypal and as I use Click And Send The postcode did not match the address they had entered. I sent them a message asking that they update their address on eBay and Paypal.. Got no response so I just gave a complete refund after 30 hours. Paypal and eBay state you must send to the address listed but I couldn't because click and send would not let me. Now I think I will get neg. feedback because of this.

maybe, they got got the postcode right and spelled their address incorrectly.... or entered an old street name out of habit - who knows?

I reckon it's safest to NEVER ASSUME....

Protect yourself and check everything that is "different to the norm"

to send an item knowing the address is potentially wrong, is just inconsiderate and displays bad business practices IMO, not caring whether the customer gets their goods or not...... Not a very nice thing, eh?

Even if the customer IS in the wrong, doesn't mean that a seller needs to be so callous and go "ah well, they don't have buyer protection, so I'll just send it anyway, and I'm safe, I'm covered".... NICE

I think that you have done the right thing and handled this well.

Be guided by your moral guidepost and by what PayPal and eBay tell you to do. I doubt very much that they will advise you to just insert whatever address you THINK the buyer lives at.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 12 of 71
Latest reply

Yes always best to ring paypal if in doubt,

eBay do not manage buyer and seller protection in Oz so pointless ringing them.
Message 13 of 71
Latest reply

I think common-sense is much safer than over reaction and hysterics over what is a daily occurrence.
Message 14 of 71
Latest reply

I would probably waited more than 30 hours before cancelling the transaction though. Would have given more time for the buyer to respond

The buyer paid, seller has the item.. Buyer is going to contact seller about it eventually.
Message 15 of 71
Latest reply

eBay decide if a potential Neg stays or goes...

They decide if your account gets restricted or not (getting reported as a non performing seller, for example) and they will decide your fate with the new defect system.

so as i said, protect yourself and get EVERYTHING on record, so that if needbe, you can demonstrate that you have done the very best that you can.

I find it's highly beneficial to have eBay in the loop in case of potential problems, esp[ecially when you can say "I did exactly what you told me to do"

Message 16 of 71
Latest reply

I would give a neg if a seller cancelled my sale in 30 hrs! ( only left 1 in 12 years, actually could be a few more, got scammed once)
Message 17 of 71
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:
I would probably waited more than 30 hours before cancelling the transaction though. Would have given more time for the buyer to respond

For next time, that is something to really think about and probably does require advice from eBay, because it's not like you can open an UID, but it is also illegal to just cancel a sale without mutual agreement or some kind of resolution process.

I'm not sure what to do in that situation, and imagine if the buyer reports you for non performance or something?

Best to be guided by those who decide your fate, i reckon.

Message 18 of 71
Latest reply

Which means waiting for the buyer to respond. The seller has been paid, no problem to put the item aside and keep trying to contact buyer. The buyer is going to be aware if their item doesn't turn up ( if they haven' t been checking their emails)

Is there even a choice under cancellations - buyers address is incorrect. Is it a valid reason to cancel a sale?
Message 19 of 71
Latest reply

i guess so?

Sometimes ebay will attempt to ring a buyer on your behalf, or maybe the seller could try?

as a seller, i really want to protect my account iykwim, but at the same time, i don't want to do something that may cause harm to the buyer either, like their parcel getting lost

Maybe the buyer doesn't check on eaBay every day, maybe they think "I paid" and now won't think about it again until they realize their parcel hasn't turned up yet?

I don't know, I've never had an incorrect address, sometimes I get where they have entered their town in state or something like that, or put the state up the top so it doesn't go into the right field on click and send, but I have never been in a position where I have had to guess a buyers address.

oh and up there, i said I thought the buyer handled this well... I need to clarify, I don't think they should have cancelled the sale. That was a bit of an error, I was referring mainly to the rest of it.

Message 20 of 71
Latest reply