I REPORTED A BAD SELLER FOR SELLING SOCKS WHICH OFFENSIVE F WORDS ON THEM. IS THIS ALLOWED? IF SO I

I THINK THIS IS DISGUSTING AND A VERY LOW ACT. I DONT WANT TO SEE OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE ON ITEMS WHILE IM BROWSING TO BUY THINGS ON EBAY. I REPORTED THIS MATTER ALREADY ONCE BEFORE AND THE PERSON SAID IT MAY TAKE SOME TIME TO FIX THE PROBLEM BUT IT WAS A WHILE BACK I REPORTED THIS MATTER. NO SELLER SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO SELL SOCKS ON EBAY WITH OFFENSIVE F WORDS ON THEM. THERE ARE SOME PPL WHO FIND OFFENSIVE F WORDS EXTREMELY OFFENSIVE AND I AM ONE OF THOSE PPL. THIS SHOULD BE HIGHLY ILLEGAL THIS MATTER. 

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD WANT TO BROWSE SOCKS AND SEE OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE ON THEM?

Message 1 of 75
Latest reply
74 REPLIES 74

Re: I REPORTED A BAD SELLER FOR SELLING SOCKS WHICH OFFENSIVE F WORDS ON THEM. IS THIS ALLOWED? IF S

I'd prefer a real firetruck in a bushfire. Without a bat, even. Or anything else evil.

Message 11 of 75
Latest reply

Re: I REPORTED A BAD SELLER FOR SELLING SOCKS WHICH OFFENSIVE F WORDS ON THEM. IS THIS ALLOWED? IF S

FMD Man LOL

Message 12 of 75
Latest reply

I'm really missing out - I can't even find this nefarious sock seller in search.

OP, please don't ever shop on "Etsy" then, as you're likely to have a heart attack - I mean there's a lady who knits mens willies for a living. Other people have designed "p*ssy hats" and other vulgar decor - the horror! 

There's plenty of "mature" content all over the place and apparently even adult categories are now quite normal on Ebay, whereas they weren't in the past.

Message 13 of 75
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

I thought it was firetruck, but my eyes aren't what they were.

This is a facinorous firetruck................................

...................................or a mobile alpaca washing station.

image host
Message 14 of 75
Latest reply

@seniorladygamer,

I note by the feedback you have left for your sellers that you are accustomed to typing with your CAPS LOCK button on, so that everything you type is in uppercase / all capitals.

In case you're not aware, text that is typed in all capitals is considered shouting on the internet. (Some people will disagree; some will say it's a courtesy, not a requirement; the general perception, however, is that it's aggressive and lacking in courtesy.) Even if you don't consider it to represent shouting, it is certainly harder for most people to read as easily and readily as sentence case.

That's something you may want to keep in mind in any future posting online.

On to the substance of your post... Well, I don't like the crudity of some words which are deliberately offensive. Most Australians may be unaware that using offensive language (which includes the F-bomb) in public is a summary offensive. ❝Queensland (Summary Offences Act 2005 s 6), New South Wales (Summary Offences Act 1988 s 4) and Victoria (Summary Offences Act 1966 s 17) all have laws that cover offensive language in public. The offensive language provisions in both Queensland and Victoria may result in imprisonment for up to six months.❞

Social culture is at odds with these Acts in some contexts, which means we see a disconnect between a group of drunken teens trying to out-swear each other at a train station, and a meeting of business executives hammering out a financial deal, and a white-tie event, and a party of friends, and so on.

You have every right to dislike offensive language around you, although of course that is different to proscribing other people's way of speaking. Is it illegal? Well... it's complicated!  If an individual uses profanity in a public place, it is potentially a criminal offence, hence yes... illegal.

But... the advertising code doesn't prohobit profanity per se. It comes down to intent, context, target audience, and more. If you're interested, you may want to read an Advertising Standards Authority (UK) ruling on a very controversial Spotify promotional email where you can see Spotify's defence (attempts to provide a "reasonable excuse"), and the ASA's decision. (It upheld the complaint.)

Closer to home, Ad Standards say:

❝The Community Panel acknowledges that some people would prefer certain terms were not used, but when a word is not used aggressively or in a medium where children are likely to be exposed to it, or it is used in a colloquial context which is consistent with Australian vernacular, it will not be considered as a breach of the Code.❞

(AANA Code of Ethics - it's Section 2.5 breaches which are the breaches pertaining to offensive language.)

Obviously profanity occurs in some films, and these of course are dealt (in Australia) under the Australian classification system (under the Department of Communication and the Arts), as you're no doubt aware. One "reasonable excuse" defence is when profanity is used in art - by which I mean music, drama, painting, sculpture, etc.

In terms of the socks, I myself wouldn't be browsing socks with profanities on them, but it's a wide world out there and I have no doubt that some people find rude words on socks to be the epitome of hilarity and wit.

In terms of eBay's position on this, I'll quote from eBay's Profanity policy:

❝Bay doesn't allow the use of hateful, offensive, profane, or vulgar language in public areas of the website. Public areas include listings, products, profiles, Feedback, discussion boards, and more.

Defamatory language (language or comments that could be considered harmful to the reputation of another eBay member) is also strictly prohibited on eBay.❞

However...

❝Music CDs, movie DVDs or other media items with titles that include profanity are allowed on eBay as long as any profane words are part of the official title.❞

and more specifically...

Restricted Allowed in some situations

• Novelty items (hats, T-shirts and so on) with profanity have to meet the following criteria:
    • The majority of the profane word has to be replaced with asterisks (for example, s*** or f***).
    • Any image showing the profane word needs to be blurred out as well.

If the listings you've mentioned don't have the majority of the profane word asterisked out, then it's against policy and you can make a complaint to eBay quoting their Profanity policy.

If the image of the socks shows the profane word clearly (i.e., it isn't blurred out), then again, you can make a complaint to eBay quoting their Profanity policy.

But in the meantime (I'm assuming that you legitimately feel offended and upset, as - if I'm wrong and this is a wind-up - I don't mind wearing egg on my face), I hope that you can browse for novelty socks without having offensive results ruin your search.

A better sock or stocking

Message 15 of 75
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

There are over 600,000 listings for socks on ebay and you get offended at one pair of socks with an offensive word on them.

What do you do when you see something offensive in a shop in a shopping centre....run screaming to the centre management demanding that the shop be closed?

Message 16 of 75
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

@enigmabearr,

I note by the feedback you have left for your sellers that you are accustomed to typing with your CAPS LOCK button on, so that everything you type is in uppercase / all capitals.

In case you're not aware, text that is typed in all capitals is considered shouting on the internet. (Some people will disagree; some will say it's a courtesy, not a requirement; the general perception, however, is that it's aggressive and lacking in courtesy.) Even if you don't consider it to represent shouting, it is certainly harder for most people to read as easily and readily as sentence case.

That's something you may want to keep in mind in any future posting online.

On to the substance of your post... Well, I don't like the crudity of some words which are deliberately offensive. Most Australians may be unaware that using offensive language (which includes the F-bomb) in public is a summary offensive. ❝Queensland (Summary Offences Act 2005 s 6), New South Wales (Summary Offences Act 1988 s 4) and Victoria (Summary Offences Act 1966 s 17) all have laws that cover offensive language in public. The offensive language provisions in both Queensland and Victoria may result in imprisonment for up to six months.❞

Social culture is at odds with these Acts in some contexts, which means we see a disconnect between a group of drunken teens trying to out-swear each other at a train station, and a meeting of business executives hammering out a financial deal, and a white-tie event, and a party of friends, and so on.

You have every right to dislike offensive language around you, although of course that is different to proscribing other people's way of speaking. Is it illegal? Well... it's complicated!  If an individual uses profanity in a public place, it is potentially a criminal offence, hence yes... illegal.

But... the advertising code doesn't prohobit profanity per se. It comes down to intent, context, target audience, and more. If you're interested, you may want to read an Advertising Standards Authority (UK) ruling on a very controversial Spotify promotional email where you can see Spotify's defence (attempts to provide a "reasonable excuse"), and the ASA's decision. (It upheld the complaint.)

Closer to home, Ad Standards say:

❝The Community Panel acknowledges that some people would prefer certain terms were not used, but when a word is not used aggressively or in a medium where children are likely to be exposed to it, or it is used in a colloquial context which is consistent with Australian vernacular, it will not be considered as a breach of the Code.❞

(AANA Code of Ethics - it's Section 2.5 breaches which are the breaches pertaining to offensive language.)

Obviously profanity occurs in some films, and these of course are dealt (in Australia) under the Australian classification system (under the Department of Communication and the Arts), as you're no doubt aware. One "reasonable excuse" defence is when profanity is used in art - by which I mean music, drama, painting, sculpture, etc.

In terms of the socks, I myself wouldn't be browsing socks with profanities on them, but it's a wide world out there and I have no doubt that some people find rude words on socks to be the epitome of hilarity and wit.

In terms of eBay's position on this, I'll quote from eBay's Profanity policy:

❝Bay doesn't allow the use of hateful, offensive, profane, or vulgar language in public areas of the website. Public areas include listings, products, profiles, Feedback, discussion boards, and more.

Defamatory language (language or comments that could be considered harmful to the reputation of another eBay member) is also strictly prohibited on eBay.❞

However...

❝Music CDs, movie DVDs or other media items with titles that include profanity are allowed on eBay as long as any profane words are part of the official title.❞

and more specifically...

Restricted Allowed in some situations

• Novelty items (hats, T-shirts and so on) with profanity have to meet the following criteria:
    • The majority of the profane word has to be replaced with asterisks (for example, s*** or f***).
    • Any image showing the profane word needs to be blurred out as well.

If the listings you've mentioned don't have the majority of the profane word asterisked out, then it's against policy and you can make a complaint to eBay quoting their Profanity policy.

If the image of the socks shows the profane word clearly (i.e., it isn't blurred out), then again, you can make a complaint to eBay quoting their Profanity policy.

But in the meantime (I'm assuming that you legitimately feel offended and upset, as - if I'm wrong and this is a wind-up - I don't mind wearing egg on my face), I hope that you can browse for novelty socks without having offensive results ruin your search.

A better sock or stocking

I must say I,m genuinly impressed countess,

Spoiler
But I take it there was nothing worth watching on telly tonight......Smiley Tongue
Message 17 of 75
Latest reply

praising-the-lord-smiley-emoticon.gif

The Countess, I bow to your wisdom and comprehensive post.

image host
Message 18 of 75
Latest reply

But I take it there was nothing worth watching on telly tonight......Smiley Tongue

You are correct. Foxtel have the BBL on high ratings nights. And that was only ever the remotest interesting thing broadcast in January

Message 19 of 75
Latest reply

Television, shmelevision... I have paperwork to do with a pounding headache, and I desperately need coffee.

girl-blush-blush.gif

Message 20 of 75
Latest reply