I can't start my business because of the GOVERNMENT!

Hi, I am from Victoria and here on my first post with a problem at hand that I have not been able to find a solution. I have just been working on other sections of the business plans.
Any one have info for someone who is starting from scratch on fortnightly government payments?? I am in a very awkward position and I don't know where to go to make this work.. If I hade the choice j would have a store open now would have all business plans in place you name it to will be done.
I have been to all the .gov websites I understand it but I haven't found the answer and I don't want to screw up my payments. Because it's not like I will be able to live off of eBay profits for the first year who knows..it will all go back into the business for fees stock whatever I need.
Any help that is on topic is very welcome.

Any one with any experience with this sort of situation please do help also anyone with general knowledge in the sector for business and government payments or just a guy or gall with the right info please do contribute ✌️

Sorry it's all messy I hope you can get where I am coming from, it's hard I have this massive rock in my mind blocking my project thoughts and my creativity because I cannot expand on eBay in my situation at this time…
Appreciate all help thanks :J
Message 1 of 56
Latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

I should also add that if you are doing your P&L correctly and are claiming all your deductions you will probably not show a profit in the first year or even 2.

It's amazing just what you can claim and a visit to an accountant will pay big dividends.

Message 31 of 56
Latest reply

@dazzledayz wrote:

This is very straight forward and not too hard to do.

If handled correctly your Centrelink payments should not be unduly impacted:

1. get an ABN which costs you nothing.

2. Tell Centrelink what you are doing and they will ask you to provide them with a Profit and Loss statement on a monthly basis.

3. Set up a spreadsheet to track ALL your business inputs and income and this will allow you to print out a monthly P&L easily.

(you should probably have a chat with an accountant if you don't understand the allowable tax deductions).

4. After 6 months or a year of doing this Centrelink will no longer require the monthly P&L's but will adjust your payments based on your taxable income for the fin year (as assessed by the ATO).

This is a simplified outline but it covers the main points - the important  thing is to have a chat with Centrelink and they will actually try to be helpful.

If you are on unemployment benefits you may actually have your job search requirements reduced if your business is returning some profit and you should point this out to your employment agency.

One of my sisters works for Centrelink and sees quite a bit of this so they are quite used to it and you don't have to get involved with NEIS or similar if you don't wish to though they can refer you to courses in small business, basic bookkeeping etc.

Bear in mind the fact that eBay are required to remit data to the ATO which is crossmatched with Centrelink.

Am I missing something ? Why the ABN.  Does Centrelink require this ???   It may not cost anything to start with, but once you have one you are required to remit 10% of every sale to the ATO as GST, wether you have increased your prices to cover this expense or not. If you dont sell above the GST threshold ( $75,000 TO per annum from memory ) you are not required to apply for an ABN or to pay GST to the ATO, not to mention the paper work needed for compliance. The ATO also get very antsy if you are a day late with any lodgements, threatening fines and at times, changing your reporting requirements to a more onerous system. ( I had this happen once when a payment had been made on time, but paperwork was a week late )

The only benefit of an ABN is that you can claim back the GST paid on outgoings and stock ( if purchased in OZ. from a GST registered supplier ) . Its not much help if your suppliers are from OS. or you buy from small unregistered businesses or private sellers. Some business customers also require suppliers to be registered for GST purposes, but if you sell to private customers it is not likely to be a problem.

I would strongly reccommend you wait untill you are legally required, to apply for an ABN unless there is some other compelling reason to do so. Its just another large expense if your profit margins are high and makes additional paperwork responsabilities. Remember the KISS principle. ( Keep things simple stupid )

Message 32 of 56
Latest reply

One other little technicality for lurkers reading above.

The $75,000 TO is for any consecutive 12 month period, not calander or financial year.  As soon as you look like going over the $75,000 threshold for any 12 month period, you have 21 days to lodge an ABN and GST registration.

Message 33 of 56
Latest reply

Chameleon, the OP stated right from the word go that most of his suppliers required an ABN.   My immediate thoughts were to change his suppliers.

I must admit I am a little disappointed in the way this thread has gone.  The OP has been given some excellent information from the perspective of selling on ebay and from members who know the ins and outs of dealing with Centrelink and the ATO as well as some very sound business information.

Unfortunately despite his initial talk about business plans, suppliers etc he seems to be trying to run before he walks.  Unless he fixes his current listings to accurately depict what he is selling he will have a short selling career.  I am afraid he thinks that as soon as he starts listing he will be making a profit.....it is not going to happen if he starts listings at 1 cent....and on a limit of 10 items a month it is not going to happen either.

Message 34 of 56
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Chameleon, the OP stated right from the word go that most of his suppliers required an ABN.   My immediate thoughts were to change his suppliers.

I must admit I am a little disappointed in the way this thread has gone.  The OP has been given some excellent information from the perspective of selling on ebay and from members who know the ins and outs of dealing with Centrelink and the ATO as well as some very sound business information.

Unfortunately despite his initial talk about business plans, suppliers etc he seems to be trying to run before he walks.  Unless he fixes his current listings to accurately depict what he is selling he will have a short selling career.  I am afraid he thinks that as soon as he starts listing he will be making a profit.....it is not going to happen if he starts listings at 1 cent....and on a limit of 10 items a month it is not going to happen either.

OK. Yes I can see that, looking back at the start. Also noted you offered the same advice.... DONT APPLY FOR AN ABN UNTIL YOU ABSOLUTLY NEED TOO.  The OP also mentions OS suppliers in the same sentence. Currently he should not need an ABN to buy from them should he ?  If the Govt. introduces their plan to make GST payable on all imports under $ 1000 that would change, but it has not been legislated yet has it ?. 

Basically my advice is the still same as Lyndals. Hold off applying for an ABN if you possibly can. Starting a new business is hard enough without getting bogged down in the mire of Govt. red tape of the GST registration. Having had an ABN since the scheme was introduced, it still feels like I,m trying to swim in quicksand keeping up with the normal bills and record keeping for regular annual tax, without throwing in the GST as well.

The biggest problem is your buyers wont pay any extra to cover your GST payments, so if you are competing against similar items from OS or non registered Australian sellers, you will be priced out of the market. The only way around this is if you are making 300% - 400% mark ups and can afford to absorb the 10% remmitance to government or making very little profit and can claim back the GST from suppliers. The problem with the second scenario is that a low profit margin business model requires large turnover of stock. This will require much greater labour inputs, which puts you in competition with Chinese sellers paying Chinese wages of a few dollars a day.  This business model is very hard to sustain for very long in Australia where wages are much higher.

The only way it could work would be if you had super efficient packing and mailing systems and you where happy to work like a robot for long hours each day. I really need to be making a minimum of $7 profit per item even when my stock is virtually free to cover my time of sourcing stock, listing, answering questions, record keeping and pack & post. 

Message 35 of 56
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

Am I missing something ? Why the ABN.  Does Centrelink require this ???   It may not cost anything to start with, but once you have one you are required to remit 10% of every sale to the ATO as GST, wether you have increased your prices to cover this expense or not. If you dont sell above the GST threshold ( $75,000 TO per annum from memory ) you are not required to apply for an ABN or to pay GST to the ATO, not to mention the paper work needed for compliance.

You can have an ABN without being registered for GST. Stay below GST requirement threshold if you can as it means 10% of profits go to ATO, and in reality you can't collect any more more from buyers simply because you are registered for GST.

If you do end up on submitting annual business incomes that affect your payment, they will affect it until the next submission. So a good year can cut your payments for the next year, in which in may not do so well. 

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 36 of 56
Latest reply

That ABN requirement is of course not compulsory.

It makes little or no difference in the greater scheme of things anyway.

However, quite a few commercial suppliers will require one particularly if a trading account is required.

It can also be useful when advertising your business to quote it as it adds to the impression of legitimacy.

It certainly won't go astray if the OP is dealing with Centrelink and will tie up well on the MyGov website when linking to the ATO.

Also, if the OP wants to register a business name he will most definitely need one.

Message 37 of 56
Latest reply

@lane-ends wrote:

You can have an ABN without being registered for GST. Stay below GST requirement threshold if you can as it means 10% of profits go to ATO, and in reality you can't collect any more more from buyers simply because you are registered for GST.

If you do end up on submitting annual business incomes that affect your payment, they will affect it until the next submission. So a good year can cut your payments for the next year, in which in may not do so well. 

The GST is not 10% of profits....it is 10% of income less any GST credits you can claim back because you have bought from a GST registered supplier.

Message 38 of 56
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@digitaltechtronic wrote:
What I read was that when sent I must not sign the deceleration for Aus post to carry items by air. This is on the prepaid ($7.45 I think) Aust post satchels. It also states that if you are sending dangerous goods that you are not to sign. I have had one delivered fine it took a while 10 days from VIC to W.A but I would think that's because of the no air mail.?
Any way I will take your word for it. As I said above I don't plan on selling any more fragrances. Hope this clears it up.

I can guarantee that you need a Dangerous Goods Licence and a contract with Australia Post to send perfume by mail....and you need to follow the packaging rules that you need to know to get your DGL.  You are not supposed to use satchels for dangerous goods whether you sign the declaration or not.  You are very lucky you perfume only took 10 days to WA...indeed you are lucky it arrived at all.

My authority is 3 members of my family including me having a total of 70+ years in the courier industry.  My OH is currently with StarTrack (owned by Australia Post) and holds a current DGL.

You appear in a corrective mood re your GST post above Lyndal, I proffer that your husband actually has a dangerous

goods driver's licence rather than a DGL contract to send itemns with AP.

Your hubby may be able to carry deliver and accept other's dangerous goods.... but send his own product???....  I have

a current Dangerous goods driver's licence as well.

https://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/dangerousgoods/training.htm

What's a perfume sample??? like an under 10 ml  perfume sample?? like the ones I see for sale on ebay? ( I understand that people shouldnt "sell" samples... or speed in cars..... or take illicit drugs... but people are .. well just people.......)

https://auspost.com.au/media/documents/sample-post-lodgement-doc.pdf

lithium batteries??

Articles containing lithium ion batteries may be lodged for carriage by air or sea within Australia, provided that:
the batteries are installed in a device;
the batteries are less than 100 Watt hours or contain less than two grams of lithium content; and
the article is packaged, labelled and presented in the manner prescribed in
the current Technical Instructions of the Civil Aviation Organisation, as reflected in the IATA Dangerous Goods

Regulations.

http://auspost.com.au/media/documents/AP-TCs-Oct-2015.pdf

2.0.3 –
Dangerous goods carried under contract
Australia Post accepts very small consignments of some dangerous goods under contract conditions. For more information, contact the Australia Post sales department in your state on 13 POST (13 7678). Australia Post
accepts these small parcels for return to sender if they are still in the original packaging

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 39 of 56
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@lane-ends wrote:

The GST is not 10% of profits....it is 10% of income less any GST credits you can claim back because you have bought from a GST registered supplier.

which in effect is 10% of your mark up=your profit. 

In principle it is 10% of the extra value you have added by providing your service.

If you are doubling the price you paid for it then your suppliers gst is half what yours is. so half of what you charge in gst is deductable. Your gst is 10% of total sale price of which you get 5% back asa supply deduction. If you are then paying 5% balance of total and only half of that is profit, then that ends up being around 10% of your profit.

If your source is not gst registered then you get no deduction,and its 10% of total sale price regardless of margin. Taken to extremes a 10% mark up will be 100% of profit gone in gst.

Bottom line being gst registered you get to do extra bookwork each quater and send a gst tax payment to ATO. If you aren't you dont. You can't charge anymore on top of sale price so it comes out of your pocket. In a market place where sellers are a mix of gst and non gst registered it does'nt even out across the board the same way a level playing field would (eg supermarkets, who all pay gst so everyones prices go up).

I used to be registered, then I deregistered. Same money came in only difference was less bookwork and not sending a quarterly payment to ATO

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 40 of 56
Latest reply