I have just been scammed by a buyer! BE WARNED!

lux2911
Community Member

Hey Everyone, 

Over the last two weeks I have been selling my used 5 x GTX1080 Graphics cards.

The buyer has received the item but started return request with ebay that the item that arrived was not as described, and attached a photo of COMPLETELLY different looking card, GTX980 (guessing his old card). 

When I escallated the issue and tried to provide proof /evidence to ebay i.e.

- receipts from MSY of me purchasing 4 x GTX1080

- photos of my cards etc..

The buyer opened a dispute within PAYPAL  (automatically closing ebay case).

Going thru PAYPAL dispute and claim centre, I have provided photos of all my recent ebay transaction (prooving I have had multiple of same cards etc), receipts, screenshots, satisfied buyers feedback etc...

PAYPAL decided the claim in favour of the BUYER!!!!

This entire system is broken. The buyer is to send back the item (which if ANY at all ...double scam...he will send GTX980 not the card he bought from me GTX1080).

How to fight this? 

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: I have just been scammed by a buyer! BE WARNED!

Similar case happen previously where seller and expensive dji and get different item back. Push the case with eBay and you might need to sign Stat declaration for truthful statement and you may get your money back. good luck.
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

When you receive the package in the mail, do not open it until you can do so in the presence of credible witnesses (police, JP, Aus Post staff - something more formal / official than a friend or neighbour, anyway). You may even wish to record a video of the package being opened. make sure your witnesses will be agreeable to providing stat decs or other official testimony as to the contents of the package if needed.

Then, contact PayPal by phone, explain that the buyer has returned a different item, advise that you have visual evidence of the contents of teh package, which can be supported by witness testimony, and ask them for an email address to send this evidence if it can not be uploaded to the dispute. You'll also need to provide some kind of evidence of the item that was shipped, so that the difference can be made clear to PayPal.

Make a report about the buyer to ACORN, and / or a police report and provide any evidence of that to PayPal.

If they return the money to the buyer and debit your account for the refund, advise PayPal that you will be taking the matter further with the Financial Ombudsman Service. 

Don't panic 🙂 Opening the PayPal dispute was actually the best thing the buyer could have done for you, considering the circumstances, and what they seem to be trying to acheive - PayPal will actually take all of the above into consideration, and if you follow these steps, there is a very good chance that even if the buyer is refunded, PayPal won't debit your account for it. (This is what they did when I had a very similar case a couple of years ago, and I did most of the above). 

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Write a letter and email it to PayPal threatening to go to the Financial Services Ombudsmen, this usually works. The call centre workers in India at paypal will usually do nothing to try and help you on the phone.  If that gets no where then go to the FOS.

I’ve had to get onto the FOS once before when a buyer in Italy purchase a $500 item then claimed it was fake. Paypal found in the buyers favour and debited my account $500 (the buyer kept the item too). Feepal started sending me annoying debt collector letters so I took it up with the FOS and won, Feepal had to remove the debt.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

@drewjza70 wrote:

Write a letter and email it to PayPal threatening to go to the Financial Services Ombudsmen, this usually works. The call centre workers in India at paypal will usually do nothing to try and help you on the phone.  If that gets no where then go to the FOS.

I’ve had to get onto the FOS once before when a buyer in Italy purchase a $500 item then claimed it was fake. Paypal found in the buyers favour and debited my account $500 (the buyer kept the item too). Feepal started sending me annoying debt collector letters so I took it up with the FOS and won, Feepal had to remove the debt.

that is really creative, calling PayPal Feepal.

Did you think of that yourself or did you read it somewhere else?

Spoiler
not quite October 
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Why would you want to be so confrontational from the outset.

I much prefer Digi's suggestions and only bring in the FOS if all else fails.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

What does it matter if it is a different card in the package that is returned?

The buyers claim is that they received the wrong card in the first place, and are only returning that model card.

The seller would need to prove they actually sent the correct card, thereby disproving the buyers claim.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@thebossesaccount wrote:

The buyers claim is that they received the wrong card in the first place,

Is it?

How do you know?

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply