If it's neither a letter nor a parcel what is it?

I have some items I want to send by registered post.

The items with packaging is about 8mm thick, so I cannot not send them as a registered letter (must be 5mm or less for that). So I decided I would put the contents in a 16cm X 23cm envelope and send it as a registered parcel.

Off I go to Click, click, click, click, click, click, click and Send (surely one of the slowest, clunkiest sites in the entire universe) and enter the package dimensions 23 x 16 x 0.8 and am promptly told that the minimum thickness for a parcel is 5cm.

So I cannot send these items as a letter because they're more than 5mm thick and cannot send them as a parcel because they're less than 50mm thick. What am I supposed to do, stuff bubble wrap in the envelope to pad it out to 5cm? Also this 3mm excess in thickness will mean postage will go from $3.50 to $11.00+ , a huge jump in cost for a negligible increase in volume.

I suppose I could  split the items and send them as two registered letters. That would make it less expensive for me and create more work for Australia Post, instead of getting one letter that is 8mm thick they will get two letters with a combined thickness of 10mm. But I don't want to do that every time this problem occurs.

Has anyone else encountered this problem or  got a solution?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: If it's neither a letter nor a parcel what is it?

Letter can be sent up to 20mm (2cms)

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

I didn't know about the large letter catagory.

Thanks very much.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

A large letter can be up to 360mm x 260mm in size, 20mm thick and weigh up to 500 grams.

If your padded envelope is thicker than 2cm and you want to use C&S just enter it as 5cm, it will make no difference to the postage cost.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

If you are not sure about Australia Post charges go to their site and you will find out everything about posting.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

chezzy
Community Member

Letter Post and Registered Post info is found on the

Post Charges easy guide within Australia

Get yourself one of the handy easy guides - a summary of charges (with measurements etc) for frequently used services. Your local PO should have one or click the link below

http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/pricing-and-postage-guides.html

The info is incorporated into the Parcels Easy Guide for your zone under the Domestic Guides

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

Yes, I'll do that, thanks. And thanks to everyone else who has contributed to this thread.

I take back all the nasty thoughts I had about Australia Post.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

Bear in mind that some sellers encounter problems when sending some non-printed-matter at letter rate. 

An item will qualify for large-rate for both Australian and international addresses if it conforms to AP's guidelines for dimensions and weight AND IS PRINTED MATTER. 

I've seen various ebay discussions in which sellers admit to posting non-printed matter items at large letter rate. You then seem to be at the mercy of your PO staff as to whether they will allow you to post it at the cheaper rate.  Of course, it's easier to post such items domestically where the seller does not have to list the contents on the packaging.  However, it becomes trickier when sending to an international address and needing to declare the parcel's contents. 

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

Bear in mind that some sellers encounter problems when sending some non-printed-matter at letter rate. 

An item will qualify for large-rate for both Australian and international addresses if it conforms to AP's guidelines for dimensions and weight AND IS PRINTED MATTER. 

I've seen various ebay discussions in which sellers admit to posting non-printed matter items at large letter rate. You then seem to be at the mercy of your PO staff as to whether they will allow you to post it at the cheaper rate.  Of course, it's easier to post such items domestically where the seller does not have to list the contents on the packaging.  However, it becomes trickier when sending to an international address and needing to declare the parcel's contents. 

total rubbish!

why do the post office sell CD mailers that go as a large letter, the only thing you need is a cn22 and it can contain anything

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Yes you are right. I have a prepaid domestic registered post envelope and there's nothing written on it about being for documents only. There is a list of prohibited items which include the usual drugs and explosives etc. These envelopes cost $3.90 each. If it is classed as a standard letter then postage is $0.60, registration is a further $2.60 leaving the price of the material envelope at $0.70, which is about right. 

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply