Incorrect postal address

I had to post an item today and the name of the street said Deaside Close, for some reason the name didn't sound correct to me so I googled this street and the suburb didn't have a street by that name.

It suggested that there was a Seaside Close, as it isn't a very big suburb I figured they had just made a typo in their details and sent it to Seaside Close. D is next to S on the keyboard.

Anyway I emailed the person to tell her of her error in spelling and said I had posted it off this morning.

She just replied with the correct spelling for her street is DeaNside Close.

Their just happens to be the same street number in Seaside Close and Deanside Close in the same sururb and they are about 3ks away fron each other.

Is their anything I can do other than contacting their local PO tomorrow morning, or would the buyer need to do this?

Can the PO change to get sent to the right street name?

Never happened to me before, we both got incorrect spelling.

Thankyou

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Incorrect postal address

what i do is when an item sells and i recieve notice of payment recieved i open paypal, transfer the money to my bank account then open the details of the sale in paypal.

i then copy and paste the full address in the paypal details to wordpad and print out in a size that suits the box size to make sure postie can easily read it.

i also print 2 copies of shipping slip, include 1 with the item and put 1 in my sold items folder.

i dont really care what the address is or how its spelt, if its wrong thats the buyers problem not mine.

if i was to change the address in any way without first contacting the buyer then it would be my problem.

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

what i do is when an item sells and i recieve notice of payment recieved i open paypal, transfer the money to my bank account then open the details of the sale in paypal.

i then copy and paste the full address in the paypal details to wordpad and print out in a size that suits the box size to make sure postie can easily read it.

i also print 2 copies of shipping slip, include 1 with the item and put 1 in my sold items folder.

i dont really care what the address is or how its spelt, if its wrong thats the buyers problem not mine.

if i was to change the address in any way without first contacting the buyer then it would be my problem.

What you say is very true especially if you use tracking and wish to enjoy full seller protection against INR cases.

If you make any change to the buyer's paypal address this is step one to lose any INR case a buyer may raise.

However, even if you follow these rules but the parcel is lost and does not show a delivery scan event, under ebay MBG rules you will still lose any INR claim. PayPal rules are a bit different in this regard as they only require proof of lodgement. ie a lodgement scan event over the counter to the correct address.

So in the case the OP has presented here they made a mistake by editing the paypal address, as they will now likely lose an INR case should the buyer choose to open one. In such an instance they should have waited for a response from the buyer for address confirmation. If no response then a phone call if the phone number was included on the order details page. Even when the buyer confirms the address error thru ebay messages then there is still some risk attached to using that address as it has not come thru paypal. The proper protocol here is to cancel the sale (due to address problem) and get them to re-buy using the corrected address. But doing this may lose you the sale as it might upset the buyer. So you end up between a rock and a hard place really.

In our particular case we use almost exclusively large letter without tracking so as such have no seller protection anyway.

So we therefore quite often correct address errors where we can. If we can't then we contact the buyer thru messaging and ask for a corrected address. If mailing the item would result in total loss or non-delivery (ie returned to us) and we are unable to get any response from the buyer we would have to resort to cancellation due to address problem, although we have never had to do this yet.

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

Probably not very helpful everyone telling the OP what should have been done.   It's too late for that.

The best suggestion is the Aust Post mypost account.    It is free and easy to sign on and if the buyer does that, she will have the opportunity to redirect the parcel to her own address.     It all depends on how co-operative the buyer is going to be.

Good luck.

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

Ok, she has emailed back to say she is on holiday for 2 weeks at this new address and appologised for the wrong spelling.

She said she already has a My Post account apparently and will go down to the post office today to try sort it all out.

Thankyou everyone for all your help, I hope it all can be sorted out now.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

I know I shouldn't have changed the address also
Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

If she has access to a computer or mobile device, then she can get the redirect thing happening by logging into My Post on the AP website. There should be a button half way down the page to initiate the redirect.

She can also do it via the AP app by tapping the 3 horizontal lines in the top left, scrolling down and selecting the redirect mail option. She can also select to have it held at the local post office too.

Not sure if you'll be back in touch with her whereby you can pass on this info, but thought I'd add it for the benefit of anyone else who might be reading.

My Post is very useful, especially for sellers. I give them my card when I'm posting, which they scan. By the time I get back out to the car the tracking number has loaded into the app. I then give each one a nickname (which is usually the buyers ID and the ETA). That way I can see at a glance what's going on if someone asks me.

I can also give the PO the buyers email address and the buyer will get tracking updates as well via email. When they can an email each time their parcel has been scanned, it gives them a bit of peace of mind that they know where it is (roughly) and that it is on the way.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply