Interesting Description

Seems the 21 day hold is getting to people. Check the description of this listing 261803716453. 

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Interesting Description

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

While I can understand his frustration, he is probably not doing himself any favours.  Excuses for not using paypal usually mean scammer.

The avarage buyer who does not come to the boards would probably not have a clue what he is talking about.

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Interesting Description

to lyndal  you have been around for a while dont you have to have paypal as  one of your payment options   is he allowed to write dont pay with paypal

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

Interesting Description

Joe, seller has paypal listed as an option. 

If you want to bid he can't stop you from paying by paypal though

He may prefer bank deposit, but he may not get it

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

Interesting Description

fair enough

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

Interesting Description

@joethenuts wrote:

to lyndal  you have been around for a while dont you have to have paypal as  one of your payment options   is he allowed to write dont pay with paypal

Lyndal is a buyer. She does know most of the pitfalls, however.

But any of the 3 'safe' payment options are acceptable to eBay.

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

Interesting Description

@joethenuts wrote:

As a seller he must have one of the three ebay approved safe payment methods....paypal, Paymate or Merchant Credit facility.  That seller has paypal listed but states in the body of listing that he will not accept it.

He should not say this....the only time it is acceptable to ask buyers not to use paypal is when it is a pickup item.  Then he can say that cash is preferred on pickup.

As I said in my first post.....asking buyers to use bank deposit because your paypal account is not working is one of the signs that the seller is a scammer.

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

Interesting Description

Seller doesn't actually say in the listing they won't accept paypal

Says bank deposit is preferred.

I prefer direct deposit please I will send you my bank details if you win the auction ,,if you intend to use paypal please dont bid ,as they take 21 days to pay ,***happy bidding ***

I've struck sellers before who state this. Doesn't faze me.

I pay paypal and so far have not had a problem

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

Interesting Description

I would have thought that by saying not to bid if you were going to use paypal the seller was in effect saying he would not accept it.....all in the way you interpret it I suppose.

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

Interesting Description

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I would have thought that by saying not to bid if you were going to use paypal the seller was in effect saying he would not accept it.....all in the way you interpret it I suppose.

You really have to be a seller to understand the frustration that comes from paypal's 21 day hold - many small sellers use ebay as a means of raising extra cash in times of need, and to have them freeze your cash for what constitutes nearly one month can be extremely difficult!

Those of us who've been here for some time have no such problems, but I for one have experienced some VERY hard times in the past, and started using ebay myself purely to help put food on my family's table. A 21-day hold on my cash would have caused insurmountable inconvenience - at the very least!

Hypothetically, the seller in question may well be facing legal or other action, and raising cash through ebay may well seem the best alternative.

They could also...

A. Try a weekend market, (needing cash to get a stall,

B. Try a newspaper ad, (also needing cash initially), or

C. Try a pawn shop, (although they give little value).

I know. I tried all of these when I was facing the wall, many years ago. Ebay was the best venue, but only if I could access my funds immediately after the sale - not nearly a month later.

Yes, I know that the seller can appeal the decision through FOS, but again, there's just anther burden that they may not need.

No, I think in all likelihood, they may be facing financial hardship, and cannot afford paypal's illegal tactics.

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply