International Woes

My question. I had a dispute forcefully resolved in the buyers favour. As I did not provide him with a paid returned shipping document. He is in Argentina. 
So ebay and their mates at paypal graciously returned the full amount of $188. When I asked him to send me a price for shipping he told me it's his and he's not returning it.
Apparently this is OK with the Ebay US parrots and would send him an email to return it. Although the CSO told me it was a waste of time.
The only companies that I know that would do that would be Fed Express or DHL and that would of cost a fortune. The parrots really don't get  the time zones, distance, language difference.

Has anyone else found themselves in this position and how do you work with it?

The buyer is an absolute fraud, he worked ebay over and they bent over backwards to accomodate him.

When I take advantage of ebays $1 listings I will be adding insurance onto the cost of posting.  Does it cover Dame in Transit as well as loss? 

Thanks,

MPM

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

International Woes

@max-power-models wrote:

My question. I had a dispute forcefully resolved in the buyers favour. As I did not provide him with a paid returned shipping document. He is in Argentina. 
So ebay and their mates at paypal graciously returned the full amount of $188. When I asked him to send me a price for shipping he told me it's his and he's not returning it.
Apparently this is OK with the Ebay US parrots and would send him an email to return it. Although the CSO told me it was a waste of time.
The only companies that I know that would do that would be Fed Express or DHL and that would of cost a fortune. The parrots really don't get  the time zones, distance, language difference.

Has anyone else found themselves in this position and how do you work with it?

The buyer is an absolute fraud, he worked ebay over and they bent over backwards to accomodate him.

When I take advantage of ebays $1 listings I will be adding insurance onto the cost of posting.  Does it cover Dame in Transit as well as loss? 

Thanks,

MPM

After you finish pulling out the last strand of Hair,  shout yourself a nice scotch (Or Beverage of Choice)  Then have a long lie down.  It is a ridiculous system and the more you fight the more ridiculous it gets,   The buyer does not even have to provide any specific info, or follow any recommendations to remedy situations that may occur.  You know you are being scammed, yet ebay

will tell you to give the buyer more money (Paypal deposit etc) so they can post returns, Yeah Right, more money down the drain.

Unfortunately far too many international buyers are very well schooled in how to rort the system.

Perfect English prior to purchase, but once they have the item all correspondence requires translation,  and as far as communicating with the ebay US resolution center is concerned, you may as well be using  Swahili

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

International Woes

@max-power-models wrote:

Thanks,

MPM

AP's insurance covers loss and damage, but when it comes to damage, they will only pay out if the damage was their fault, and the package was suitable packed (they say it needs to withstand 20kg dropped from waist high or somesuch, to be considered packaged adequately). This means if something damages it inadvertantly, and not a direct result of actions by AP, they can refuse to pay for it, even if packaged to their standard.

International insurance is very expensive for the coverage you get, IMHO, because it's $9.60 to insure the first $100, and $2.50 per $100 thereafter. The fine print also states that the coverage only applies while the parcel is in Aus Post's possession, so they basically charge these excessive amounts, and don't offer much above what you get when sending domestically (It may still be considered in AP's possession on the journey over to the other country, not really too sure about that, but even still, I can't see any justification for charging $9.60 if you don't get full coverage for the journey from point A to B, especially when domestic insurance is max. $1.50 per $100 Smiley Frustrated). 

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

International Woes

I would suggest that you contact PayPal and ask for the funds to be returned, on the basis that the buyer has the item and will not return it, which suggests that the dispute may possibly have been opened to achieve precisely this outcome. That is, it may be a fraudulent claim. At any rate, with your item not returned, you're unfairly out both the item and the money.

Make a note of the person with whom you speak, and the time and date. Note down the substance of what is discussed. You could even say something like, "I'm noting down what is said as we go; is that all right with you?" Also mention that you will be opening a dispute with the Financial Ombudsman if you want. (It's optional to say so.)

Then do go ahead and lodge a dispute with the Financial Ombudsman. The link is here: https://www.fos.org.au/resolving-disputes/before-you-lodge-a-dispute/

The dispute will be against PayPal, as they are the financial services provider, and are a member of FOS.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

International Woes

you likely don't want to hear this max.

I found myself in a similar position as you, and had no choice but to be scammed, like you were.

ebay found in buyers favour, they kept the item and the full refund including postage.

so now I add in an extra amount for tracking etc, but you can still be scammed if they know how to work the ebay system.  I do remember thinking, now why would a usa buyer pay that amount for a vase from australia, that wasn't particularly outstanding in its colouring/ shape etc .. despite being described accurately they still managed to say it wasn't what they received... and you know the rest of the story.  only thing I can advise is follow your gut feel, if you think there is something suspect about an ebay purchase, there is always the option for the seller to cancel it..... and forgoe the ebay fees etc ... than the worse outcome - being scammed

all the best

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

International Woes

Excellent advice and suggestion from The Countess.

PayPal will and do cover certain refunds, especially if you have messages to show potential fraud.

image host
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

International Woes

My solution is to not sell overseas.

But I sell stuff that overseas sellers can undercut me on here, so would be even cheaper than me in their own countries.

If I was to sell overseas I would certainly not sell to what can be considered third-world countries and I would load the prices up to allow for a significant percentage of refunds. 

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

International Woes

as dave has said - selling internationally has it's downfalls. i originally did it, but now keep it all domestic - it seems to work better that way.

one thing though - if you are going to sell internationally, you need to look at what countries you shouldn't sell to - and a lot of south american countries are usually on the list of places you shouldn't. 

even big organisations usually don't ship to places like mexico and other southern american countries simply because of the corruption, postal service delays and so on... 

i'm really sorry to hear this has happened to you 😕 i hope you can follow some of the advice given in this thread and seek some sort of compensation. 

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply