International large letter changed

Australia Post has changed their rules for large letters sent from Australia overseas - they now require us to pay parcel rates for even the smallest items (like a keyring, or pendant).  Parcel rates are over AU$12 instead of the $3.20 effectively closing many Ebay and Etsy shops!  They say its because our items could get damaged and there is no tracking - I haven't had an item arrive damaged in over 8 years and my customers are aware there is no tracking and some prefer to pay extra for that but it is up to them.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Time to pay the ferryman.  The fact an item fits in an envelope does not make it a letter

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

The pandemic gave Aus Post the opportunity to get what they wanted a few years ago, I guess - as this has been in place since the proverbial hit the fan last year, so the whole thing about items getting damaged is BS (what, exactly gives a parcel more protection? Lol. The tracking thing is at least beneficial). Some post offices were actually still allowing letters with merchandise to be sent, but technically the service was suspended, as were untracked parcels.

A few years ago, Aus Post tried to bring in a policy that meant only documents could be sent as large letters overseas. There was so much immediate backlash to that idea, it was rolled back within a couple of days.

The suspension of domestic priority is until June (July?) of this year, maybe other services will be reviewed for re-introduction then, too, but I suspect AP have been enjoying the last year turnover-wise. 

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Whenever unpopular changes are introduced, be it by governments or business, we are always fed the line that it is for our benefit in someway or another.  In this instance there are a lot more factors at play, but of course it is still for our benefit.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

I don't think someone wanting to send a little, low value gift to a relative in another country benefits from paying up to $30 postage instead of a bit over $3. 

Untracked, cheap(er) options are also still available, just not through Aus Post (I'm not using them, though, I'll add, I was, but while I recognise the end result matches what AP wanted to do years ago, I also recognise a fully tracked service when sending internationally, particularly under current circumstances, and the 75% drop* in sales to OS destinations, is preferable to a constant stream of "where is my order?" messages and cases). 

*Raising my international postage costs from $3.50 to $12.50 is obviously not the only contributing factor to that. 

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

What happens when someone from overseas posts an item as a letter into Australia. Kind of a double standard if it goes through the letter post system in Australia.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

I suspect the primary issues that dictated these changes was increased cost for, and decreased availalability of, interational shipping options, after one of the primary transport methods (passenger planes) became all but obsolete. Letters into Australia cost the same as always to deliver, as do parcels into Australia, but there are other countries that have withdrawn economy options. 

Some carriers dealt with these issues not by making service changes, but by introducing surcharges.

This would suggest that at least one of the driving factors behind the withdrawl of economy post options was which services were more economically viable / profitable for AP to maintain, and any others that remained in place are likely due to the UPU rules (which would also oblige them to deliver international mail). 

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

I am lucky it has not been extended onto domestic letters for know. The only thing I send international is A4 size repair instructions although I have been told they aren't allowed as they are not a letter or document, but that was because they have a monetary value so meaning they don't want merchandise going trhough letter post internaionally in case it got lost. Not sure how true any of what I was told is so may ask at the licensed one I also use which is a lot friendler to deal with.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

It is technically merchandise that can't be sent, but because you can send documents without using a C22 or CN23 customs form (even though they should have one as merchandise), they can still be sent / accepted via letter mail. 

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply