Is Australia Post's downhill service stuffing up our ebay sales?

797_cc
Community Member

Let's face it ... Australia Post have gone to the dogs with rising costs, longer delivery times, missing parcels, stolen items and the use of unreliable contractors instead of their own employees. It's like the postal system of a third world country.

Sick of waiting 8 days for something that used to take 2, for items to be delivered/arrive. Have had contractors not even bother to try to deliver items to myself or my buyers, rather just drive past and flag 'unable to gain access' ... I have seen them do it!

Parcels opened and resealed, damaged, missing ... and higher charges for slower service. Anyone else worried about their feedback taking a battering?

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I am more concerned with the battering you are handing out to Australia Post.

Do you really regularly have parcels opened and resealed....Customs may do this but why would AP do it?

Damaged parcels are more likely to be the fult of the sender....they have not been packed properly.

And why are contractors more unreliable than AP employees?

Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

We send out around 100-150 parcels a day with our other company ... and we hear/see the horror stories.

Battering? Nope ... first hand view of how things have gone downhill in the last 2 years? Yep ... and the worsening service is costing us more.
Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

I understand that there are problems with Aust Post - but to tar the whole with the same brush is a bit unfair...

I have wonderful posties and a parcel contractor that bends over backwards for his customers and I thank them for their efforts whenever I catch up with them.

Even AP customer service say that eBay has no right to give such unrealistic estimates on delivery dates, so when an item is posted I email the Buyer, let them know the tracking number (and how to track it) attach a photo of their address and satchel/letter and let them know that eBay's estimates aren't to be relied on.

Like all things on eBay: communication is the key and that little extra effort can prevent someproblems by educating the Buyer.

Jo

Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

So, you haven't noticed a drop in service? Have you sat in phone queue for customer service for 90 minutes? Had a contractor forge your signature and steal your parcel?

You can slam all you like, I speak for what I am seeing.
Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

I definately think Australia Posts increased fees are having an impact on online and ebay sales. I know I used to buy several hundred  items per year to resell on ebay, but in the past eighteen months, I have purchased virtually nothing. The increased postage costs in and out have made it unviable.

When parcels became expensive a couple of years ago, I shifted to stocking a lot of items that would go as large letters. With the recent price increases, this is not as viable as it was.

I am absorbing some of the recent hike in postage fees, which affects my bottom line profit and is a factor in encouraging me to spend my time earning an income from non internet related sources. This has contributed to my sales dropping around 30% below where they would otherwise be. That is a reduction of many hundreds of sales and several hundred purchases from my little business alone. Multiply this to tens of thousands of internet sellers Australia wide and it must be having an effect.

The well documented problems with mail processing and delays on the Eastern seaboard must also be reducing both sellers and buyers enthusiasm for internet trading.

Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

And lets not forget the " new improved " Australia post delivery times. If adding a couple of extra days to delivery times for no good reason, doesnt affect sales ( and seller defect ratings ) I will be very supprised.

Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

As a seller I have actually been surprised by the way the AP service works. I often have parcels delivered faster than I ever could imagine, and touch wood have had none go missing. However, sending parcels is often the smallest and easiest part of the transaction, because problems generally occur later in the transaction.

As a buyer, then I tend to agree. Have had parcels worth over $1000 left at the front entrance to our unit block, in a box clearly describing the contents, and containing items that by law must be signed for!!!! I have probably mentioned in the past, the high percentage of 'carded' parcels I have had to go collect from the PO even though on most occassions someone has been home (roughly about 85%) and when complaining at the PO to be told they receive complaints all the time about the same.

And yes, I have also had contractors sign for deliveries after the actual delivery, sadly they are not too smart and signed the senders signature. So, all in all seeing the result at the coal face, I tend to agree.

Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

I haven't noticed a drop in service from my local LPO, my Postie or my parcel contractor (I am a Buyer as well as a small Seller) but I have noticed that once an item is in the 'system' these days, things are going haywire more often. That seems to be where the problems are with me.

And yes, I have had to contact AP customer service weekly the last couple of months with an average wait of 50 minutes before being given the company line and only a little information.

I wasn't trying to slam you, I was merely trying to balance your comments with my own experience, not denying your experience.

Take Care - Jo

Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

@rat_zarz wrote:
So, you haven't noticed a drop in service? Have you sat in phone queue for customer service for 90 minutes? Had a contractor forge your signature and steal your parcel?

You can slam all you like, I speak for what I am seeing.

I have no doubt that some services have deteriorated, but personally no, I have not had any drop off in service...which of course means I don't sit in phone queues at all.

If you know a contractor has forged your signature then report him.....he will lose his job.  And any theft is treated the same way...instant dismissal.

And I am also speaking from experience.....you can't tar all AP employees and contractors with the same brush.

They are definitely not all bad.

Message 10 of 32
Latest reply