Is Paypal killing your business and risking your personal security?

genrel
Community Member

This Article (below) is well worth reading as I fell foul of paypal's lies and dirty tricks a month ago and now refuse to use them.

I thought at first it was just me and that I must have done something to bring on the load of **bleep** I was getting. The "limitations on my account", paypal's refusal to recognise a customer purchase and home pick-up and then telling me I had to get the customer to confirm he had picked up the item or I was not going to get my money. This was all happening at same time paypal was demanding ...my birth certificate, driver's licence, passport, and my last tax statement! This was way over the top! No way in hell was I going to give a foreign corporation that sort of data so I could sell a few items. Needless to say I have had to stop selling on Ebay because I now refuse to deal with paypal.

This sort of data mining is both illegal and dangerous for anyone foolish enough to hand their personal details over...you risk personal fraud.

If the link disappears , google ...

"ARE YOU LOSING CUSTOMERS BECAUSE OF PAYPAL?" .... Anny Studio

annystudio.com/think/losing-customers-because-of-paypal/

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Is Paypal killing your business and risking your personal security?

I would have no issue with providing those details.

I sell infrequently so I am required to provide tracking to show that my buyer has received their item...I have no issue with that.

How would PayPal know that a buyer collected the item?

Why did you not request cash on on collection.

Time for a rhetorical question...why do people make an easy process appear to be so difficult?

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

I did request cash but he paid by Paypal anyway. I had to inform  Paypal the item had been collected as they were still holding my money. However they refused

to believe me and wouldn't check with Ebay even though feedback had been left. You are very foolish to trust Paypal with that sort of data. If they are hacked you are at risk and there is the strong possibility that Paypal will at some point sell this data to the highest bidder and you have NO SAY.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

you are aware Paypal must follow the law eg the anti moiney laundering laws etc.    And to follow them they must be able to id you.  Most business that deal with money transactions have to do this now.   That why even ebay and their MP sysytem is asking for the information as it LAW.    

Also a Footnote to this MAKE SURE THE INFORMATION is being requested by PAYPAL NOT A EMAIL SCAM.   to check this look in your palpay account under messages will also have the request there.   If it NOT in ya paypal messages IT A SCAM attempt

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

Have you read the article? Paypal is lying to you. The type of data they are requesting is illegal. The Australian government tells you not to hand over this data. Paypal is requesting more intusive data than any of the Banks request when you open a new account...think about that for a minute.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

@genrel wrote:

This Article (below) is well worth reading

annystudio.com/think/losing-customers-because-of-paypal/

There are certainly valid points to make about privacy and data security, and there are also very valid criticisms of PayPal to be made, but this article is riddled with subjective opinions and unsubstantiated claims.

It was written 8 years ago, so some of what is claimed isn't even correct anymore (eg the form to fill out when you checkout with PayPal as a guest is very different now), and there is not one single linked or even cited source for any of the claims they make outside of the PayPal requirements or practices they find objectionable. In fact, they took stats from an (alleged) study of clearly more broad issues with website checkout processes / payment options, and decided to conflate it with their issues with PayPal - super flawed reasoning, and vastly outdated.

The author didn't even delve into any of the actual laws and regulations PayPal were obliged to comply with at the time - these are well worth taking a look at, rather than opinion pieces that speculate about potential intentions and consequences. 

I agree with the advice to offer your customers multiple payment options, though, there are a lot of people who have preferred methods, and / or refuse to use certain services, so the more options you can provide, the better. 

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

@silver-fox-bullion wrote:

you are aware Paypal must follow the law eg the anti moiney laundering laws etc.    And to follow them they must be able to id you.  Most business that deal with money transactions have to do this now.   That why even ebay and their MP sysytem is asking for the information as it LAW.    

Also a Footnote to this MAKE SURE THE INFORMATION is being requested by PAYPAL NOT A EMAIL SCAM.   to check this look in your palpay account under messages will also have the request there.   If it NOT in ya paypal messages IT A SCAM attempt

just to ad to this you tried to open a new BANK business account lately???   The hoops you have to jump through to open a business account is even worst since the laws have changed.   Remembers back 10 years ago all ya needed was ya abn and business reg papers.  and in and out of bank in about 15mins.  Now they want to know everything from what ya business is doing and asic codes etc.   we just gone through it and it took us an 1hr and half to open a new business saving account. 

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

Interesting that you are quoting a 2012 article from what sounds like one unidentified, disgruntled individual.

I love the fineprint within the article to quote ''Fine-print, PayPal style: some of the information below was obtained from other people and was not verified by the author's personal experience. Please contact the author if you notice any discrepancies, and the corrections will be made.''
Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

@genrel wrote:

Have you read the article? Paypal is lying to you. The type of data they are requesting is illegal. The Australian government tells you not to hand over this data. Paypal is requesting more intusive data than any of the Banks request when you open a new account...think about that for a minute.

the banks ask for a 100 pt check everything on your list can be used for that check...    so you have to hand it over.   

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

100 points I get with 3 pieces of information. Paypal is asking for a lot more. I wasn't asked to provide one or two bits of data but rather all the data on the page. I'm not stupid, I know when something doesn't look right and it certainly felt really wrong. It doesn't matter when that was written, Paypal is an American corporation so it stands to reason they coped this well before us. That article rang a lot of bells for me as I have experienced much of what she said. They wouldn't answer my questions, they just doubled down on their insistance that I comply. Open your eyes, to what is happening. It's wrong.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply