Is eBay Paying its Fair Share of Australian Tax?

Australian sellers are paying more in fees than ever before yet, if the eBay invoices are anything to go by, it seems the money we pay to eBay goes off shore to eBay International Helvetiastrasse 15/17 3005 Bern Switzerland. How is it that eBay runs it's commercial operations from an Australian au server, operates as if it's an Australian company, yet it doesn't use Australian Tax Invoices and presumably doesn't pay the same tax like the rest of us? Last financial year, eBay cleared over $7,000,000 profit per day. Is it not right that they should pay Australian taxes at the same rate we pay given we're all doing business in Australia? I would have thought this was especially important when billing Australians for goods and services supplied in Australia.

Message 1 of 52
Latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

It used to be common knowledge in the forums that ebay does not pay tax in Australia

There are a lot of things in the forums that claim to be common knowledge, that does not make them true.

Much of this so called knowledge has as much veracity as an urban myth.

If ebay is not paying tax in Australia that is either because they are not obliged to under current regulations or somebody in the upper echelons of the ATO is not doing their job properly.

Neither of these things are ebay's fault and I am sure their financial advisers are making sure they act within the law and regulatory legislation of every country the operate in.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 41 of 52
Latest reply

it depends.

Message 42 of 52
Latest reply

you have to be joking not ebays fault , they make every effort to avoid there fair share of Tax everyone who trade  or do business in this country have to pay , they use all our infrustruture , phone lines broadband banking systems roads for delivery , so why not pay there share

looks like your looking for a another rise from ebay sweetheart!

Message 43 of 52
Latest reply

18 month old thread......

Message 44 of 52
Latest reply

How does eBay pay the GST it collects to the ATO?
How much has actually been paid to the ATO?
Message 45 of 52
Latest reply

Congratulation on bumping an 8 year old thread. FYI GST was not introduced into eBay until 1st July 1918 - nearly 5 years after this thread was started.

As to how they pay it, presumably through their ATO account. How much did they pay ?  Ask eBay or the ATO that under the FOI guidelines.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 46 of 52
Latest reply

Dammit thse old threads are annoyiing

Message 47 of 52
Latest reply

So very true Kat.....................original.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 48 of 52
Latest reply

Especially when they are ressurected to add nothing of value. Given, in this case, that the subject had nothing to do with the bumper's 'questions'.

Message 49 of 52
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

Congratulation on bumping an 8 year old thread. FYI GST was not introduced into eBay until 1st July 1918 - nearly 5 years after this thread was started.

As to how they pay it, presumably through their ATO account. How much did they pay ?  Ask eBay or the ATO that under the FOI guidelines.

Hi padi,

Late to the party am I... I think Monash was drawing up his plans on how to defeat the evil Boche on or about that dateSmiley Wink

Message 50 of 52
Latest reply