It’s a Christmas Miracle

gec2002
Community Member

I just received an email from Paypal to say

“We're happy to let you know that the chargeback was decided in your favour. We've reimbursed your PayPal account”

The case was opened 3 months ago with the buyer stating that they didn't authorise this purchase. Fortunately I had some correspondence from them to indicate that they had ordered the item. So I gathered together all the evidence, screenshots, PDFs of messages along with a signed Stat Dec that all were copies of the originals, and forwarded them to Paypal with little hope in my heart.

I was particularly annoyed with this chargeback as I had gone the extra mile for the buyer and then she opens a chargeback. If I had lost this fradulent chargeback I would have reported the matter to the AFCA, and I included that in my statement. Probably wouldn’t have achieved much, other than making me feel a bit better.

So just occasionally a Seller can win one.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New to all eBayers. May the Boxing Day sales make your Cup Runneth Over.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

It’s a Christmas Miracle

It is possible their account was hijacked and someone pretending to be the account holder was dealing with you all the time.

PayPal may also have credited the buyer through their insurance if they can see an overseas IP address having been used or any other fraudulent acivity.

Nevertheless, great result. Merry Christmas. Smiley Happy

image host
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

It’s a Christmas Miracle

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

It is possible their account was hijacked and someone pretending to be the account holder was dealing with you all the time.

PayPal may also have credited the buyer through their insurance if they can see an overseas IP address having been used or any other fraudulent acivity.

Nevertheless, great result. Merry Christmas. Smiley Happy

While anything is possible, after getting the chargeback I messaged her and she pretty much told me to "Go xxxx yourself".  She knew what she was doing.  I believe when you make a chargeback and lose the Bank hits you with a fee.  I really really hope so.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

It’s a Christmas Miracle

Looks like I might have been a little too kind on this one.

And with that kind of response, she might already have received the fee. Smiley LOL

Nothing but coal in her stocking. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

It’s a Christmas Miracle

Sigh. Sometimes I wonder why humanity has not just destroyed itself yet.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

It’s a Christmas Miracle

Great win for you!

My first and only ever chargeback, received glowing feedback from the buyer, then 3 months later BOOM, chargeback initiated.  Contacted buyer and she confirmed in writing she received the item and was happy but said the bank must have initiated the CB as she had reported a stolen credit card....pull this one and it plays Jingle Bells.  

She said she contacted the bank to cancel the CB but bank said they can’t cancel it.....BS

Anyway, I provided all emails with confirmation from the buyer, tracking had since deleted from the Aust Post tracking site as it had been 3 months, (maybe she thought she get away with it as there was no longer any tracking.  So I contacted Aust Post via messenger (easiest way to contact AP if you ever need to, really quick responses) and they provided all the tracking details including time of delivery.

I received the money back from Paypal under their Seller Protection policy.....good win for me.  But, about 2 months later Paypal emailed me to say that the bank refused to accept the evidence and the CB was upheld.  Not sure how they got away with that but at least I got my money back!

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

It’s a Christmas Miracle

I had a Christmas miracle also!

1. Buyer left negative feedback due to extremely long shipping delay.

2. Buyer stated they love the item and want to give amazing positive feedback.

3. I sent revision request but it expired as seller took too long to do it (only one request allowed).

4. Buyer apologised and tried to ask eBay to change the feedback but eBay wouldn't.

5. I asked eBay to change it after reviewing all our correspondance and eBay removed it!

Yay!

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

It’s a Christmas Miracle

@designers*n*more wrote:

Great win for you!

My first and only ever chargeback, received glowing feedback from the buyer, then 3 months later BOOM, chargeback initiated.  Contacted buyer and she confirmed in writing she received the item and was happy but said the bank must have initiated the CB as she had reported a stolen credit card....pull this one and it plays Jingle Bells.  

She said she contacted the bank to cancel the CB but bank said they can’t cancel it.....BS

Anyway, I provided all emails with confirmation from the buyer, tracking had since deleted from the Aust Post tracking site as it had been 3 months, (maybe she thought she get away with it as there was no longer any tracking.  So I contacted Aust Post via messenger (easiest way to contact AP if you ever need to, really quick responses) and they provided all the tracking details including time of delivery.

I received the money back from Paypal under their Seller Protection policy.....good win for me.  But, about 2 months later Paypal emailed me to say that the bank refused to accept the evidence and the CB was upheld.  Not sure how they got away with that but at least I got my money back!

Did Paypal reverse the refund after the CB was upheld by the bank or were they just keeping you  in the loop?. 

If the refund was reversed I would be contacting Paypal with a "Please Explain" .  You need to contact Paypal before lodging a complaint with the ACFA.  if the responce is unsatisfactory tell Paypal you wish lodge a formal complaint, they have to tell you how to do it and there's a mandatory time for them to respond to a formal complaint.  Depending on the outcome lodge a written or online complaint with the ACFA.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

It’s a Christmas Miracle

@gec2002 wrote:

@designers*n*more wrote:

Great win for you!

Did Paypal reverse the refund after the CB was upheld by the bank or were they just keeping you  in the loop?. 

If the refund was reversed I would be contacting Paypal with a "Please Explain" .  You need to contact Paypal before lodging a complaint with the ACFA.  if the responce is unsatisfactory tell Paypal you wish lodge a formal complaint, they have to tell you how to do it and there's a mandatory time for them to respond to a formal complaint.  Depending on the outcome lodge a written or online complaint with the ACFA.

What's to complain about? Designers got the money back, so Paypal wore the CB.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

It’s a Christmas Miracle

@davewil1964 wrote:

@gec2002 wrote:

What's to complain about? Designers got the money back, so Paypal wore the CB.

Did you not read what I wrote (Did Paypal reverse the refund after the CB was upheld by the bank or were they just keeping you in the loop?. ). I opened with that question as the answer given left open the slight possibly that Paypal had reversed the refund, in which case designers had something to complain about.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply