Item returned damaged

Hello, i am just wondering if anyone had a case that buyer returned damaged item?
It was not in its original package, very poorly wrapped so the wooden parts got broken.
I have uploaded all photos clearly showing the broken parts, even from outside of the parcel it can be seen. However ebay still debited my account and refunded the buyer in full.
It is a change of mind return but as an ebay plus transaction buyer didn’t pay return postage, ebay paid postage i believe. I thought ebay could at least speak to Parcelpoint for compensation but i spoke to ebay support who didn’t wanna help at all.
Anyone know what i can do, would filing a complaint with ACCC help?
Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Item returned damaged

would filing a complaint with ACCC help?

In short, NO.

The ACCC receive many complaints about eBay I am sure, however most of the time eBay is well within the rules that you agreed to when you became a member of eBay.

It certainly isn't eBay's responsibility if a buyer inadequately packs an item for return.

These things happen and are the pitfalls of selling on eBay.

All I can suggest, seeing as you have the evidence in hand that you pursue a compensation claim with the item and packaging, not just photos.

If you have thrown out the item and packaging then that was not smart.

image host
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Item returned damaged

Thank u. I didn’t throw away for sure, but if ACCC wouldn’t help then there’s probably nothing i can do.
The item was returned in a clear plastic bag, i took a photo without opening it as the damage is visible already. I uploaded photos of the parcel i sent and the one i received which clearly shows the difference, but ebay said they can not assist with damage on returns, their policy is as long as the item is returned to me the buyer is entitled to refund.
Just simply unfair...
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Item returned damaged

@mumsnlittleones wrote:

It is a change of mind return but as an ebay plus transaction

Then the wrong policy has been upheld by eBay.

plus refund options.PNG

This link will take you to the guidelines for partial refunds for COM returns and Plus Listings - if you can show to eBay that the wrong policy has been applied and the buyer was not eligible for a full refund, you may get some compensation from eBay (may not, but it's worth a shot, and it would form a much better basis for complaint to the ACCC because you can point to policies in black and white that eBay did not uphold).

Scroll down to "Partial refund guidelines where the item is returned used or damaged"

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handle-return-request-seller?id=4115#s...

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Item returned damaged

Thank u. I did ask about this but ebay said the policy is for item “damaged by buyer” but in my case they couldn’t determine if it was damaged by buyer (well i knew it, it was damaged during transit).
I didn’t feel i got much benefit from ebay plus but only the buyer can change their mind freely
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Item returned damaged

You're allowed to deduct up to 10% just for the item not being returned in original packaging, so regardless of any damage, eBay should have provided this option for you, so I still say you have a case to argue with eBay, and / or the ACCC if needed. (If you wanted to, that is). 

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Item returned damaged

I once received a return from a buyer who changed their mind but used the "item not as described" reason, and when the parcel arrived, it was empty.

I was so appalled, that I chatted to ebay, they said they could send me a Stac Dec, I could have it witnessed / signed by a JP and they would compensate me. I did it, and I got full compensation, including the return postage cost I'd been charged for the buyer to NOT post back the item!!!
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply