Just copped my first Bank Chargeback grrrrrrrr

Just received an email from PayPal advising a buyer who purchased an item 2 months ago has filed a Chargeback with her bank for "unauthorised transaction"

So I called PayPal, the tracking number shows nothing when they entered it in Aus Post tracking.  Heart thumping.....fear I'm going to lose $60 (not a huge amount for some, but big enough for me.)

Did some checking, found the buyer's glowing feedback she left for me, confirming receipt of the item. Opened the transaction record, clicked on eBay tracking and there it is, in black and white, lodged 14/5 delivered with safe drop 18/5, including buyer's address which is the same as her Paypal address. Screenshots can be a wonderful thing sometimes! I've uploaded all this info in the PayPal resolution. 

Hopefully this will go in my favour.

I think from now own I will also keep copies of the actual postage labels.

when I spoke to PayPal, she said its odd that feedback was left by the buyer if it was an unauthorised transaction! So hopefully that info will help the case in my favour.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Hope you win. 

image host
Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

I had a chargeback recently witth the same (lame) excuse 'Unauthorised Transaction'. All eBay  wanted from me was a tracking number showing delivery. As my item was a large unregistered letter I could not provide tthis. Needless to say I lost the case, lost my money and got to pay the buyers $15.00 bank fee.

I did point out during the case that I had been an eBay member for 15 years and the person making the claim had been an eBay member for less than 24 hours.Of course eBay couldn't give a hoot about trivial details like that!

Given you have tracking you have tracking/delivery proof you should be OK. But we are talking about eBay here, so anything could happen.

I don't understand how an unauthorised transaction could occur. I can only assume that someone must have hacked the buyer's eBay account AND their PayPal account, If this is the case why should the seller pay for this.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me further with regards to how a so called Unauthorised Transaction' could occur.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

a charbeback is issued by the bank,  which over powers anything paypal try and do.If the chargeback as you say is actually a bank chargeback paypal can't get involved..

if its a credit card or debit card payment it is the card issuing company wether it be visa or mastercard who investigate thru the bank which the card was issued through....  not paypal.

so was it a bank chargeback or paypal using the term for them selves?

i had an instance where paypal took money from my account over a dispute which i dissagreed with and when i informed my bank what paypal did paypal refunded my money within 6 hours...  thanks to my bank.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

Thanks Kopes!

Paypal said I'm covered by their Seller Protection so hopefully they find in my favour.🙂

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Seller protection means that even if the chargeback is successful and the cardholder gets the funds back, the seller doesn't pay for it. So, if PayPal say you're eligible, you shouldn't lose anything either way, thankfully.
Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

According to paypal it was a Chargeback through their credit card provider. 

Dear Xxxxxx

One of your buyers filed a chargeback with their credit card provider. The buyer stated that they didn't authorise this purchase.

Here are the details of this case:

Buyer's name: 
Buyer's email: 
Buyer's transaction 
Your transaction ID: 
Transaction date: 12 May 2018
Transaction amount: $54.95 AUD
Disputed amount: $54.95 AUD

We'll review the shipment tracking information for this transaction as soon as possible. You don't need to take any action for now.

If this is a digital goods transaction, please provide the download date and time for the associated purchase through the Resolution Center to help us dispute your case.

For more information on selling safely, please click Security near the bottom of any PayPal page.

Sincerely,

PayPal

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Chargebacks are filed via PayPal not ebay, as PayPal are the financial instutuion who have to deal with these from the banks.

So not sure why you would be dealing with ebay and why ebay would be giving you advice on it.

The $15 fee is not from the buyer's bank, it is a contest fee imposed by PayPal.

If you choose to contest the case then they levy the $15 fee.

If you do subsequesntly win the $15 fee is then reversed by PayPal.

So if you choose to try and contest a large letter case without tracking you will almost certainly lose the chargeback AND the $15 PayPal fee.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

Thanks Clarry. I don't believe I was ever given the option to contest & certainly wasn't informed of the potential additional loss of the $15.00 fee. I suppose I can write it off as a costly lesson.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Just an update on this Chargeback....

Decided to contact the buyer and ask why a Chargeback was claimed. Buyer had no idea how this happened and certainly did not request any refund and again complimented on the perfect condition of the jacket. Was very obliging in trying to solve this.

Turns out when she paid via PayPal she logged in as a guest and used a credit card which has somewhere along the line been cancelled and the bank have issued the Chargeback.

the buyer has emailed PayPal with the claim number I provided and will also be contacting her bank. She has promised to pay the money if indeed it was a cancelled credit card.

so far so good!!

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply