Large Order

Hi everyone. I received a message last night in very broken English from a buyer with zero feedback for an extremely large order of the most expensive plates and bowls Im selling. The account was just created.

I know everyone has to start somewhere but Im nervous about selling to this person. Is this justified? I sell to new buyers but never such a big order. Any replies appreciated.
Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Large Order

If you have concerns, ebay already have facilities in place to cover this. Go to account settings - Site preferences - Buyer requirements.

About half way down the page there is a section titled " buyers may bid on several of my items without paying " yada yada.

This gives you the option of restricting the number of items purchased by buyers with no or low feedback scores. with various combinations to suit your risk appetite. I would just apply the settings to your personal preference and then advise the buyer that ebay does not allow new buyers to purchase lots of expensive  items until they build up a feedback score of more than five.

OK it was you that used ebays facilities to set your account this way, but it is an ebay facility. For what its worth, I would restrict them to perhaps two purchases initially. That way you are not going to get stung a fortune when they claim all of the items broke in postage, but wont provide photos etc. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Large Order

I'd be very nervous too.

Is the buyer account in Australia? If not, I'd be a bit reluctant to go ahead. But that is just me & I am very conservative, not much of a risk taker I guess.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Large Order

Yes they are in Australia and if it was just for one or two things maybe but four and heavy at that. Lots of postage.
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Large Order

I would be very very wary too

It's a shame we as seller's need to be,but given how eBay are I think many of us know we need to be so,so careful

Personally, I'd go with your gut on this one

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Large Order

Yes I think you're both right.  Its a shame because three of the items have been for sale for ages and one I only listed yesterday.  Should I reply to them cos if I dont I'll have that big red UNANSWERED MESSAGE sign from Ebay forever?

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Large Order

Unless it is a huge amount of money I would go ahead with the sale. I would just make it "signature on delivery", maybe take out some insurance as well (seeing as your items are breakable)  I have been in this situation many times and I went through, rather nervously, I might add, and it all turned out ok. Mention to them that you will pay for signature on delivery, and see if they back out.  I did have one who wanted four items and then disappeared when I mentioned that.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Large Order

Bit confused as you've said it's an extremely large order but then you've said it's 4 items ? I can see no valid reason to refuse unless they buy the stuff and ask for it to be shipped to Nigeria or something as they work on an oil rig lol

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Large Order

Its four different sets of vintage dishes and plates and they all weigh a ton.  Im thinking I'll go ahead with it a get insurance and signature on delivery.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Large Order

If you have concerns, ebay already have facilities in place to cover this. Go to account settings - Site preferences - Buyer requirements.

About half way down the page there is a section titled " buyers may bid on several of my items without paying " yada yada.

This gives you the option of restricting the number of items purchased by buyers with no or low feedback scores. with various combinations to suit your risk appetite. I would just apply the settings to your personal preference and then advise the buyer that ebay does not allow new buyers to purchase lots of expensive  items until they build up a feedback score of more than five.

OK it was you that used ebays facilities to set your account this way, but it is an ebay facility. For what its worth, I would restrict them to perhaps two purchases initially. That way you are not going to get stung a fortune when they claim all of the items broke in postage, but wont provide photos etc. 

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Large Order

They probably googled one of the items and found you, then saw what else you had and decided to join ebay so they could buy it. There's nothing suspicious in that. If they spoke in perfect English would you have been suspicious?
Message 10 of 14
Latest reply