Large letter/merchandise international post no more with Australia Post

Australia Post has removed the option for large letter with flat merchandise as of now. Which means, teatowels, handkerchiefs..any flat textile usually lightweight must now be sent at parcel rates. I will be still trying it out with hankies and teatowels sandwiched between cardboard and saying 'printed matter only' and see what happens. I've already had one small item returned to me this week by APO, but I didnt reinforce with cardboard. It was soft and a dead give away...they opened it up, cut the end of the little bubble bag, then taped it back down with a printed note. I guess they have to make lots more money to pay the CEO their several million a year salary.

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Large letter/merchandise international post no more with Australia Post

Thats true digital ghost, you always have thoughtful, reasonable, measrued and polite replies/views, so thank you. I wish I could remove my post now. A bit hasty of me really..and I shall be sticking to the APO rules. Not worth it really is it just for a few dollars...pfft....jilly

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

Well, just to say to all of the above replies I won't be going against the rules of the APO so we can all rest easy

Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

@jillywinkle wrote:

Thats true digital ghost, you always have thoughtful, reasonable, measrued and polite replies/views, so thank you. I wish I could remove my post now. A bit hasty of me really..and I shall be sticking to the APO rules. Not worth it really is it just for a few dollars...pfft....jilly

Here ya go  pfffttt.jpg

Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

"The problem with this "rule" is that it prices Australian sellers out of the global market"

clearly that is eactly what they are up to and have been for quite some time .. if people think any of it is designed to assist Australian ecommerce they clearly have not been involved with mail order for very long .. once upon a time Australia could compete .. now we cannot .. no mistake .. all by design ..

all the while with Australia locked into the UN postal agreement .. all the while supplementing China's income while Australia is headed for the third world and China to the number one economy on the planet .. we have been brainwashed to believe Australia is an egalitarian country .. far from it .. they deliberately stagnate wages .. inflate property prices to astronomical levels .. send our jobs to the third world .. our money to tax havens .. you are a slave here to feed the bankster/gangster elite .. people will get used to it or will need to find a way to escape from what is coming ..

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

So what about a thin booklet (car glovebox manual specifically) sending to an overseas contact? Printed matter yes.

Merchandise suggests an item sold for profit.
Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

@letscleanupmycupboards wrote:

Merchandise suggests an item sold for profit.

Customs declarations are there to help assess things like import taxes and duties owing on purchases - if something was sold to an OS buyer, it is always "merchandise" (regardless of category or profit),

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

I meant as opposed to posting something to someone you know.
Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

I guess it depends on how Australia Post specifically define "merchandise" (eg a purchased gift that's being sent can still technically be defined as "merchandise"). 

Other kinds of items being sent as gifts need customs declarations anyway, as does printed matter that has been sold to the recipient, but non-merchandise printed matter never has AFAIK, so I presume "merchandise" does specifically refer to something that has been bought / sold between sender / receiver. 

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

We just had an item (a mohair weft) which we sent on 22 Jan as a Economy Letter to USA returned by AusPost with a covering note which reads in part "items containing goods must be accompanied by a customs from and sent as a parcel"

It seems that this requirement is due to the newly introduced Electronic Advance Data requirement, and the old green CN22 Customs Declaration is now obsolete.

If we must now send the same goods as a parcel it will cost $21.00 in postage - not justifiable to a buyer when the item only costs $22.00

Afraid this new shipping requirement will mean we need to cease 99% of our sales to overseas buyers.

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

@porcelain_dolls_by_me wrote:

We just had an item (a mohair weft) which we sent on 22 Jan as a Economy Letter to USA returned by AusPost with a covering note which reads in part "items containing goods must be accompanied by a customs from and sent as a parcel"

It seems that this requirement is due to the newly introduced Electronic Advance Data requirement, and the old green CN22 Customs Declaration is now obsolete.

Did your economy letter have a CN22 form attached?

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply