Late Returns and Supposedly Faulty Items

I have sold a tablet computer on eBay 7 + weeks ago as a private seller to a eBay 'flipper' business, the auction was No Returns.

The PC was in generally good condition and all accessories functioning tested before it left.

The PC was data wiped on sale and transported with SENDLE and the it arrived at the customer within 24 hours.

The customer then contatcted me within 24 hours of reciept and asked about the inboard camera function that he couldnt get working.

I responded within 2 hours with a couple of suggestions.

The customer did not respond and there has been no communication for just over 7 weeks then out of the blue I get a customer return request.

I rejected and closed the request due to the No Return stipulation and Lapsed Time.

Customer did not like that and went straight to PayPal - Thats a differeant story that still needs to play out.

Now the last 2 days have been filled with communication after communication, I have been labeled a liar and basically a reprobate for peddling faulty goods. The customer has had ample oppertunity to reach out over the last several weeks, but nothing.

IMHO - The Customers claims vague and evasive and not realy truthful and there is a really big problem with his timeline of events and convienant memory lapses.

based on the above I am nearly clueless as to the implications of the following regarding refund/returns;

1. being a private seller,
  2. the enforcablity of the no refunds option
  3. customers accusations of faulty goods
  4. the protracted gap between sale date, communications and the subsequent demand for return

PayPal has already locked up the payment amount from the sale from 7 weeks ago.

So - I, like alot of other individuals use eBay to dipose of household excess and put a couple of dollars in the bank, but concise answers are hard to find and if found even harder to interpret when it becomes a slanging match with my word vs customers word.

I am hoping the community can shed some light and guidance on this issue.

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

'No returns' is for change of mind, not faulty items.

Paypal pretty much will side with the buyer, BUT the buyer will be required to return their item by trackable means at their expense.

So, you will be out the original postage plus fees, but the buyer will have to stump up the return postage, or get Paypal to pay for it.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

From memory, the buyer has to pay the return purchase and then claim it back from Paypal, and I think it’s up to $45 per return.  But, they also have to provide photographic image of the parcel with the senders address, and copy of the postage receipt with the amount paid, or if sending it via courier a Tax invoice (unless the procedures have changed for claiming return postage)

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

They have to sign up for the service before they open a dispute, though.

Either way, the OP won't have to wear the return cost.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

@*snomann* wrote:

I have sold a tablet computer on eBay 7 + weeks ago as a private seller to a eBay 'flipper' business, the auction was No Returns.

did your buyer try to sell the tablet on eBay during the last 7 weeks?

Did the buyer try to get the camera fixed during the last 7 weeks?

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Buyer was evasive on answering on either questions,

I asked him if he had contacted the manufacturer for assistance (drivers/service centre) or the transport company for a insurance, possible damage on transport.

once again evasive at both answers 

But it was 7 weeks between initial contact and then an attempt for return for credit.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply