Late paying buyer requests bonus freebie.

gkam2
Community Member

Over the last two weeks I have had a unusually high number of non-payers. They have all responded to an unpaid item claim by paying immediately. Last night however I received a message through the ebay message system from one of them requesting that I include a free bonus item with their order, this requested item would amount to 33% of the value of their order. 

I am not inclined to reward  a late payer who has already wasted enough of my time  by giving in effect, a large discount on their purchase. In addition to this I am pretty sure (without weighing the items) that the additional Freebie would take the weight  of the package to over  500g, thus lifting the mailing cost from $6.95 to over $13.00. There was no offer to cover any extra postage.

This particular buyer has a  feedback score approaching 2000 so should be aware of how things work.

I feel that I may be being set up for a (first ever)  neg. as retaliation for the non payment claim.

Your opinions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Late paying buyer requests bonus freebie.

First thing I would do is politely point out that the other item was not included in the sale and will increase postage costs and offer to post thier item straight away. If thier response is not polite, I have one tactic I have used successfully in the past with this problem. It is to continue discussions with them ( politly winding them up a bit ) untill they threaten Neg. feedback if the extra is not included, then report them for feedback extortion. Its a risky sport to play but I figure if I am going to cop a Neg. I hav'nt got much to lose ( and so far it has had a 100 % success rate )  I know its a bit mean ....BUT

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

I wouldn't be giving them anything other than what they have paid for, and would tell them as much (in a polite way, of course). 

I would probably just respond with a simple thanks for their current purchase and payment and interest in the other item, but that I'm not able to include it with their current purchase. 

I personally don't think it's necessary to explain why, they should have a fairly good idea of the most likely reasons anyway. If they were someone who'd paid quickly etc and I'd be happy to deal with again, I might invite them to purchase it and take advantage of any combined postage discounts I could offer with the current item, or if they were a regular I might offer a discount, but no freebies in these kinds of circumstances.

Unfortunately, if they do leave bad feedback, eBay will probably only remove it if it meets certain criteria (eg if they threaten with bad feedback if they don't get it for free, or say something against FB policy in the comment). 

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

WOW - the fact that you had to chase them for money is irrelevant, I'm having trouble internalizing the fact that anyone would ask you for a bonus freebie!

In saying that, I then wonder if there is something in your listing which implies that you may do this? For example, I sopmetimes see listings buy 5 items get a 6th one free.

IF your listing included something of this nature with no limitations as to who could accept the offer (ie, did you specifically say, I only give the freebie to people who pay quickly, or available for the first three people etc) then, I feel that you are obliged to provide that item as the facts are they did buy and they did pay, thus completing their responsibilities to qualify.

IF there is no reasonable indication that a person may receive an additional item at no extra cost from you, then go with the advice above. I mean, what are they gonna say? "Seller refused to give me a freebie"?

Digi'd be better at wording this than me, but maybe you could respond with something likje:

"I appreciate your business and I'd like to make the additional item you have expressed interest in available for you to purchase and combine with your recent transaction.

Simply buy it now and pay immediately, as I look forward to dertermining if I am able to combine postage and save you money on postage costs by sending the two transactions together.

(check if you can do this and not void yours or their PayPal Protection on either transaction)

Kind Regards.

Do it quickly cos i'm about to add you to my Blocked Bidders List.

(Disclaimer: I'd probably substitute the name/salutation I usually sign off on messages rather than include that last line. It would remain  my evil thoughts and secret desire to wish I could write what I was thinking....)

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

I would just say -

"We can add this to your order no problem. There would be an extra cost of $x. Let us know if this interests you and we can forward an invoice".

They'll get the point...
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

In saying that, I then wonder if there is something in your listing which implies that you may do this? For example, I sopmetimes see listings buy 5 items get a 6th one free.

IF your listing included something of this nature with no limitations as to who could accept the offer (ie, did you specifically say, I only give the freebie to people who pay quickly, or available for the first three people etc) then, I feel that you are obliged to provide that item as the facts are they did buy and they did pay, thus completing their responsibilities to qualify.

I

There was nothing in the listings to suggest that I was giving out freebies, I am not The Salvation Army, I don't know where you got that idea from.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

The cheek of them!! I give out freebies quite often when my regulars spend a decent amount. I had one complain that they didn't like the freebie I gave and asked to swap it. LOL.

I meant to say if they leave a neg ebay would remove it if contacted as it's feedback extortion, They are asking for extra items that weren't included in the sale.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

I received an unexpected freebie in a delivery yesterday. I liked my freebie better than what I actually bought! (not cos it was free, it was nicer than what I chose!)

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@diamond-halo wrote:

I received an unexpected freebie in a delivery yesterday. I liked my freebie better than what I actually bought! (not cos it was free, it was nicer than what I chose!)

It must be a nice surprise to receie a freebie when it is not expected, I often include something extra if the box looks a bit empty or they buy a large quantity, but to have it demanded after having been chased for payment  is both over the topand ignorant. It has not happened to me before and this buyer will certainly not get the chance again.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

It did give me that warm fuzzy feeling.

And my transaction wasn't for a large amount, just one pair of earrings, and I don't think I did anything special, so I'd say it's their standard practise iykwim. I mean, I bought, paid and they sent. Don't think we even sent a message between us.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply