Latest hot topic

Seems that most the topics i read on here recently all have to do with unfair feedbackor defamation.

I personally would hate to see the system change back to sellers being able to leave feedback for buyers again.

When it was the old system i had been bullied by sellers telling me unless 100% positive feedback was left, they would respond with negative feedback for me .

Maybe there is a way that ebay could help smooth the process though.

When i click " Leave feedback " if i click positive then i get the drop downs asking for a comment and then the stars.

Maybe ebay could make a check list of criteria if you click " NEGATIVE " before you are allowed to leave a negative.

1. have you contacted the seller ?    YES/NO

2. has the seller contacted you back trying to resolve the issue?  YES/NO

3. have you tried to resolve this issue and are at a stand still over resolving it to mutual satisfaction ?   YES/NO

4. is it or was it an issue that warranted official action by ebay, such as item not as described / non performing seller etc etc   YES/NO

And all along the process if they a YES they can continue till finally being able to leave a NEG , but if they click NO, then more information / recommendations appear.

Like if they click NO i have not contacted the seller. An information box could appear telling them before they leave their NEG to email the seller and wait 3 or 4 days for a response then continue.

Or if they left a NO for has the seller contacted you trying to resolve the issue, a box could appear asking how many days had passed since contacting the seller and trying to leave a NEG, if it is only a day or two, it could remind them that they need to give the seller a couple of more days to reply before leaving a NEG.

To me this would make a buyer slow down for a start, it would make them look at what they were doing and might show that they could be being unreasonable.

I know myself that waiting for something to arrive from ebay is like waiting to get a present for xmas and if it isnt what you expected or took to long or the transaction wasnt right, that it is a emotional issue on the spot, but if you calm down think about things then it doesnt seem as bad as when you first got mad.

Also ebay could have in bold red letters at the top of each auction " Our sellers try hard to make sure you receive your item as soon as possible, and to make this happen please pay as soon as possible and definitely with in 4  (5) days ?????

It just seems that this topic has become very HOT at the moment even though this system has been in place for years now.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Latest hot topic

Seems that most the topics i read on here recently all have to do with unfair feedbackor defamation.

It just seems that this topic has become very HOT at the moment even though this system has been in place for years now.

one reason is that there are a small number of posters who are posting their own threads AND dragging up old threads to go over the same thing on as many threads as they can get their hands on - stirring the pot so to speak.  This is why there are about 4 or 5 threads that are always near the top in recent days.  Give it a week and those threads will go to page two and not be bumped to the top of page one.

Don't take the number of threads as an indication of widespread problems, it's just agrieved sellers venting and ranting.  I'm not saying that those posters don't have some valid points, just the old "squeaky wheel" getting the most oil syndrome. 

I have been the 'victim' of an unfair negative feedback on another login.  It was early in my eBay selling and I didn't know all the options available to me for a non-paying 'buyer'.  I sent a cancellation request that went unanswered by the 'buyer' and then on day 59 (after no contact) he leaves me negative feedback saying that he paid and I cancelled.  Yet I still am not in favour of sellers being able to leave negative feedback.

Latest hot topic

Oh and one last thing i thought about but forgot to post, is on a buyers profile, ebay could put what percentage of NEG's a buyer has left sellers against overall purchases, so if a buyer has brought 50 items and left 20 Negs it would reflect on the buyer and make people a little cautious of the feedback they have left for sellers.

Personally as a buyer only, i do read feedback, and do take it seriously. However i have seen feedback and dismissed it as not very reliable because of the way it was written.

I have also found that a lot of sellers responses to negative feedback actually makes them look worse than the original feedback in the first place.

These days on ebay, i am happy if i get what i paid for with no huge discrepencies from the discription and that i get it in a reasonable time. With the exception of twice i have had a good buying time on ebay. And one of those times was a $800 scam, but paypal covered the loss.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Latest hot topic

Oh and one last thing i thought about but forgot to post, is on a buyers profile, ebay could put what percentage of NEG's a buyer has left sellers against overall purchases, so if a buyer has brought 50 items and left 20 Negs it would reflect on the buyer and make people a little cautious of the feedback they have left for sellers.

Personally as a buyer only, i do read feedback, and do take it seriously. However i have seen feedback and dismissed it as not very reliable because of the way it was written.

I have also found that a lot of sellers responses to negative feedback actually makes them look worse than the original feedback in the first place.

These days on ebay, i am happy if i get what i paid for with no huge discrepencies from the discription and that i get it in a reasonable time. With the exception of twice i have had a good buying time on ebay. And one of those times was a $800 scam, but paypal covered the loss.

That's already there. It's a tab called 'feedback left for others'. Amongst other issues, if a member snipes at the last minute or the item is BIN (as a lot are these days) the seller has no chance to vet them anyway.

I generally only notice the FB number when I'm leaving feedback and rarely check what it is for or what they left.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Latest hot topic

Maybe ebay could make a check list of criteria if you click " NEGATIVE " before you are allowed to leave a negative.

Some people who determined to leave a negative would just ignore these checks, just like they ignore the existing one Before you leave this Feedback, please contact your seller to see if anything else can be done to make your experience positive. Sellers wa...

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Latest hot topic

Both initiatives merit consideration by eBay as the topic does appear to dominate postings.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Latest hot topic

I was going to write a new post but ill just ask it on this post.

It seems alot of the fashion sellers Ive been looking at have quite a few neutral feedbacks due to the quality of product which is all personal opinion of the buyer.    Do these neutrals affect your ratings?    Am I to understand that a buyer would not be able to leave a negative for quality?     I would like to start selling clothing eventually but I dont want a bunch of personal opinions on quality of garment affecting my feedbacks.       Of course you have a right to your own opinion,  I just feel that what one buyer considers quality another considers trash,  you cant please everyone.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply