Letting off steam - Paypal dispute

taskiwi
Community Member

Well have just received  my first Paypal dispute as a seller.  Why? because the ring didn't fit her, so she opened a significantly not as described case (wrong pattern).  New ebayer emailed to say it didn't fit last night, so (being nice) I said ok you can return and I'll refund your money when I get it back even though my listings state I don't accept returns.  Tonight I get a Paypal dispute case.  Sheesh!! What now?  

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Sorry about that. But, hey, join the cue. Hardly anyone on eBay gets away with being too happy. What is wrong with these people? You already offered her a refund. Ebay probably emailed her to let her know that she could take out a case against you. Sounds far fetched, I know, but nothing is impossible here 😞

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

If you said you would refund then the buyer is doing the sensibe thing by opening a Paypal dispute, just reply that you will be happy to refund when you get it back. It is important for the buyer to get the correct address for a return through the Paypal dispute system so that as kong as they have proof of having returned it they can get their refund. If they just send it back to an address not given through Paypal the seller can just deny having received it and if a subsequet Paypal dispute is opened they just need give a different address for the return and the buyer will lose.

Had you not wanted to refund you coud have just told them to go through Paypal and then you could have fought the claim on the grounds it was as described but as you have already agreed to refund that would not be good customer service.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

EEK - Paypal for some reason is showing my old address, although I did give the buyer the current address when she emailed. I always thought Paypal disputes were a last resort when sellers were being difficult / or an item was not as listed.   I always state a size of a ring from my ring mandrel but I can't know if it will fit the buyer.  

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

When you agree to a return Paypal ask you what address you want the item returned to, that is the way it happened for me.

Paypal used to be thought of as a last resort but that is no longer the case, quite the reverse and if buyers come here asking for advice they are nearly always told to go through the dispute process unless it is a trusted seller who they have purchased from before. I would always email the seller and explain why I was choosing to open a dispute but there is no at is just my persobal choice, no buyer has to explain themselves.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

I see this as a huge problem, actually, and IMHO it highlights the very real need for eBay to implement an official returns process that doesn't require or interfere with a PayPal case. Point of fact, PayPal do not provide protection for change of mind, so if the item is exactly as described, you could actually fight this case so that you don't get a defect recorded against your eBay account (in theory).

It's not right that a buyer's protection is compromised if they return without opening a dispute, and it's not right that a seller's reputation is compromised by having a "Significantly not as described" case against them when it's actually buyer error / nervousness. 😞

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Absolutely agree DG but unfortunately we have to play with the cards we are dealt. Perhaps if the OP had come here before telling the buyer she would refund on return it may have turned out differently.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Thank you DG - you have hit the nail on the head.  I have done nothing wrong as the ring was exactly as listed but now I suppose I will have a not as described case registered against me as a seller (which p--ss---s me off). I have emailed Paypal to put my side of the story so will just have to wait and see I guess. 

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

I have had to refund money before item was returned, that also didnt fit, I do offer buyer pays for return in these cases. Guess what, the item has never been returned, eBay has closed the case. My advise with a case pending is to ensure your item is going to be returned. Regardless  of what your listing reads, eBay will always have the seller pay a refund in line with Australian Consumer law,

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Rather than bump an 8 year old thread, start your own thread. Paypal for sellers is no longer used now that Managed Payments is in force, although buyers can still use Paypal.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply