List & Sell 10 Items for Free - A COMPLETE SCAM

The following popped up in my promotional offers today -

List & Sell up to 10 items for free on eBay now!
Pay no insertion and final value fees on up to 10 items. T&Cs apply. Learn More
Start: 10/09/17 13:02:42 AEST
End: 11/10/17 23:59:59 AEDST

I thought great, I have a few extra items to sell.

I listed 10 items.

I checked my account - I was charged listing fees.

Two of my items sold - I was charged FV fees.

I contated Ebay and asked what was happening.

I was told that they had no record of this offer.

I explained that it was on My Ebay under promo offers - not an email which might be dodgey, it was actually on my account.

Sorry, no record.

Utterly hopeless.  Their customer service is a joke.

Beware if you receive this offer.  They are not bothering to honour it.

And what can anyone do?  Ebay have become a law unto themselves.

Message 1 of 65
Latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

I never thought I would be sticking up for ebay but credit where it is due I got an email 3 days ago saying there was a mixup with the promotion & I had been charged   FVF & they have now credited my account   with the amount they took out & gave me a $10 credit to use as goodwill Just used it & worked fine I must be one of the chosen ones????

Message 51 of 65
Latest reply

Hmm going to have to check that.

All I know right now is that I am using the 40 free listings offered to me, and I have only sold one thing so far, in the 2 or 3 weeks that I've had them listed.

I wonder if I go over the 40 listings I will start magically seeing sales?

Message 52 of 65
Latest reply

@millyminder wrote:

I never thought I would be sticking up for ebay but credit where it is due I got an email 3 days ago saying there was a mixup with the promotion & I had been charged   FVF & they have now credited my account   with the amount they took out & gave me a $10 credit to use as goodwill Just used it & worked fine I must be one of the chosen ones????

I got it also and without bringing it to their attention. 

So that was a nice little surprise. Smiley Happy

image host
Message 53 of 65
Latest reply

I am confused. On these offers, I cannot work out if you are charged a FVF if the items do not sell the first time. When they are automatically relisted? Perhaos I am missing something here. Any help would be welcome. Thank you.

Message 54 of 65
Latest reply

Thanks for dragging up an old thread, but as I'm here I will answer. It doesn't matter if the promotion is just free listings, or completely fee free, if the item doesn't sell you don't pay any fees. You only pay when the item sells (unless it's a fee free promo). The promo is current on that item until it sells or relists. Once it auto relists, it goes back to normal and no longer qualifies for the promotion. 

Message 55 of 65
Latest reply

Thanks so much for answering that, I have been having these offers and others similar like for 2 days at a time.

I have only been selling again after a break of several months and assumed that there were no FVF's for relistings.

Now I kiow, I will have to be a bit more careful with my pricing and postage. Thanks again 🙂

Message 56 of 65
Latest reply

Just make sure you read the T&C's for each promo as they can vary. 

Unlimited free listings means you can list as many items as you like over your regular 40 freebies and not pay any insertion fees. You will still pay FVF's and if you go too nuts listing, you'll then have a lot left in your unsold once the free relists have ended.

$1 weekends means you can list as many items as you like over your 40 regular freebies on Saturdays and Sundays. If they sell on the first listing, you pay a maximum of $1 in FVF's. As soon as you manually relist or they auto relist, they go back to normal FVF's. I list auctions for 7 days starting on the weekend and don't have the auto relist box ticked, so they will keep qualifying for the $1 FVF's each time I manually relist them.

Completely fee free listings means you can list a specified amount, like the current 10 fee free, or sometimes unlimited. Any of those items that sell on the first listing you don't pay any fees at all, unless you add extras like a subtitle or a second category. As soon as they manually or auto relist, they revert back to normal and if they sell, you pay normal fees.

I will put a note under each listing that is fee free so in the event it does sell and I do get charged fees, I can contact eBay and get them credited (it's never happened, but this is eBay after all!). I do the same for $1 weekend items.

Message 57 of 65
Latest reply

Aha, well done. You have obviously thought this through and have come up with a brilliant strategy 🙂

I think I read earlier on somewhere that people had to use their 40 free listings a month before these other offers kicked in, but so far this hasnt applied to mine.

I guess this will work well sol ong as they keep sending the 10 or other offers through so I don't have to start using the 40.

I have collected so much stuff, it would be great to shift a load and without FVF's I can make the post etc a bit cheaper.

Thank you so much for these great tips, I really appreciate it.

Message 58 of 65
Latest reply

I haven't used any of my 40 in.....ummmm......I couldn't tell you when. Months and months. I only list with promotions at the moment. I know promos aren't a given and they can stop at any time, which is why I am taking full advantage while they last. Speaking of which, I really need to get some new listings up. I've been a bit slack lately!

Message 59 of 65
Latest reply

That is good news. I don't sell all the time even though I have God knows what? Cramming up cupboards, rooms, boxes haha. Some stuff I haven't even seen since we moved over from England 20 years ago!

And not's let go there on books, when we did our packing list for the shippers, I gave up counting when I got to about 5000 and I have bought heaps more since. But they seem difficult to sell.

I find it overwhelming and time consuming, listing. Also my house turns into a junk shop when I have all this stuff out.

I am trying to organise a better/tidier system.

Oh well, will plod on as long as I can as am not getting any younger and the money is very handy.

Good luck with your listings 🙂

Message 60 of 65
Latest reply