Listing descriptions are messed up

I've been working on this issue with eBay, but they seem to have given up and put it in the Too Hard basket.

I design my descriptions so that the paragraphs alternate between bold and regular text, for maximum readability.  Here is one of my random listings:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Robert-Hethmon-ed-Strasberg-at-the-Actors-Studio-lee-actor-director-teach...

If I view a listing first thing in the morning before signing into my eBay account, the Description field fonts are messed up. Paragraphs that should be bolded are in plain text, and the font size of most of the Description is too small (10-point rather than 12-pont.) Even the gaps between paragraphs are inconsistent.

However, if I sign in, the Description field fonts on my computer magically align themselves to correspond to what I originally intended.

I thought that the issue could possibly be the result of excessive use of 'Sell Similar', and rubbish HTML coding getting carried from one listing to the next. However, when I started with a completely fresh listing, the problem persisted. 

Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Only view your listings when you're signed in?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I looked at a few of your listings, and they seem to be as you want them.

Bold, then regular text.  But, boy, there's gotta be a better way to say

everything you've got in  those listings.  You need to be more economic

with your words.   There's just too much writing. Buyers aren't going to

read all that.   I looked at the Noddy book and my eyes glazed over.

Do you really need to use that much text?  It's just a kids book

Look at how you can say the same thing, but with less words.

(Now my eyes are glazed over from too much typing)

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

The listing in the link looks exactly the same to me whether I'm signed in or out (using Chrome), so I wonder if it's a browser issue that's somehow rectified when signed in due to cookies or site preferences? 

I'd suggest trying a different browser and seeing if the issue persists. Either that, or clearing cookies / cache and restarting.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

I notice ebay messes up my listings with double spacing between lines and smaller text.. Not sure why but it ends up different to what I have in Turbo Lister.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Thanks for your feedback so far on the fonts/layout.

I've ruled out the obvious possibility that the issue is being caused by my computer - it has been replicated on 2 other machines.

To keep things simple, after the second paragraph my intention is to alternate  Bold text - Regular text - Bold text - Regular text, etc. to the end of the Description field. If people could confirm whether this is what they are seeing, it would be helpful.

my*mum - thanks, but the issue is that none of my potential customers will be signed in under my account, and will therefore - I believe - be seeing the messed up fonts.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

How can anyone but you sign in under your account?

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

To keep things simple, after the second paragraph my intention is to alternate  Bold text - Regular text - Bold text - Regular text, etc. to the end of the Description field. If people could confirm whether this is what they are seeing, it would be helpful.

The short answer is yes, to me your listings look exactly as you describe;  bold, regular, bold.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Looks the same for me, bold, regular, bold, on Firefox.

You have a store so why not put some of your postage & payment info into a custom page and link to it from your listings. It will remove a lot of the text from each listing. A lot of buyers would not read past the first two paragraphs and anyone who is after more info can follow the link to your store page.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Thanks for your feedback, including making the listings less cluttered.

I'm a little baffled at the fact that this issue only appears to be occurring when I'm not signed in, and only on computers that I use. I've replicated it on Explorer, Firefox and Chrome, so it's not a browser issue.

Is everyone getting all the text in the description field (except for the first mini-paragraph) at the same font size?

Thanks.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply