Lost packages Frustrated Seller

Hi, 

I am a new seller with an excellent rating. We are growing our business and with the growth comes an increase in lost packages. We find this unusual and according to what I learned, its probably not Auspost but the buyers who are putting in false claims.

75% of our parcels are under 10 dollars and we do not track these. Otherwise we would lose a lot of money. I started to track the parcels that are reported to us as not recieved and I noticed a pattern. The names of the indivduals are all from one group of people. While I could argue that this is a fluke and merely a coincidence, its certainly an eye opener. 

What I have done which seems to be working is that I send the buyer a polite and apologetic message, I never accuse them. I give them the benefit of doubt. But I also let them know in a very diplomatic way that Auspost needs to be contacted and a fraud investigation started. If someone has the mail and its not addressed to that individual, that would be mail theft. If the person reporting it has it that would also be a crime. 

My message to the buyer asks for their help. I let them know that Auspost will want to interview them and the driver will be contacted. Since our packages are a unique color they stand out from the rest of the mail and hard not to notice these packages. 

9/10 times I now send this message the buyer backs down and says, its OK, just forget about it. Interesting isnt it?

It's clear to me that fraud happens all the time on ebay and there is little that eBay can do, but this message seems to help. Anyone else have any idea? Love to hear from you.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Lost packages Frustrated Seller

I would tone down the packaging. Anything that looks bright and exciting can be a focus for thieves.

I've actually increased the number of items I now send with tracking, especialy ones that I used to send as a large letter.

Look at the different registered post envelopes and perhaps buy them in bulk to save a little and charge the appropriate amount on those listings so you are not our of pocket.

I have actually seen an increase in sales with the added postage, even though I am now charging $8.95 for something to go as a parcel instead of $2.20 for the same item to go as a large letter. I think if people know it's tracked, it gives them more confidence that their items will arrive and for those that intend to scam you, they will most likely not buy as they cannot claim "not received".

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Picture attached of a letter-rate postpak that I received from a seller this week.

Whilst the 'Breakable Contents' and 'Delivery Instructions' stickers would be ignored by Aust Post staff, it is interesting to note the seller's own barcode, giving the impression to some scammers that the item is tracked. Perhaps another useful tool to deter some of those fradulent buyers.

The same seller also sent me a thank you note after my purchase, advising the date the item was posted, and that mail has been taking a lot longer than usual due to Covid. I think this is an absolute must at the moment.

Postpak.jpg

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Don't put all the missing parcels down to theft by buyers.

I belong to a FB group for residents in my suburb and surrounding areas......and the amount of posts by angry residents who have received notification that a tracked parcel has been delivered but not only is there no sign of it, when they have requested a photo of the delivery it's clear it wasn't delivered to their house.  The number of times this has happened has to be seen to be believed.  It is also likely that untracked parcels have met the same fate.

Conversly there have been posts from residents with photos of parcels delivered to their house and it's not for them.  Both tracked and untracked items are going astray and frankly the blame appears to rest mostly with the parcel delivery contractors for my area employed by Australia Post.

The issue is so endemic that residents are getting extremely angry.  I would suggest that some of your parcels may have been delivered to wrong addresses and have not been redirected to the correct address....especially if the value is low and the person who got it by mistake can't be bothered to do Aust Post's job for them.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

If items fit inside the new tracked mail envelopes, I think it is worth the bit extra as gives us peace of mind.

I use flat mail boxes inside, so things don't "bunch up", and I can fit a lot more in. They are inexpensive to buy on ebay.

These envelopes are $28-50 for 10 small flat, $44-60 for 10 medium (500 grams no more than 2 cm thick) and 10 large for $53-60

(500 grams 2 cm thick).

The flat mailing boxes I put inside are inexpensive on ebay. Less than padded bags from Australia Post. With the 500 gram iimit on the medium and the large, I find these quite economical to send. Sometimes cheaper than normal mail where 500 grams can be $5-50 with no tracking. Also there is some insurance included.

More and more buyers are expecting tracked mail. Also more and more expecting refund if they don't get within the time frame.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

@jenkinsbrown wrote:

What I have done which seems to be working is that I send the buyer a polite and apologetic message, I never accuse them. I give them the benefit of doubt. But I also let them know in a very diplomatic way that Auspost needs to be contacted and a fraud investigation started. If someone has the mail and its not addressed to that individual, that would be mail theft. If the person reporting it has it that would also be a crime. 

My message to the buyer asks for their help. I let them know that Auspost will want to interview them and the driver will be contacted. Since our packages are a unique color they stand out from the rest of the mail and hard not to notice these packages. 

Love to hear from you.

wow if you call that polite,  I wonder what you would send if you were being unpolite.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Its very frustrating to refund on items that have been "lost" in the post. I say "lost" because it could be any number of things.

Yes i am sure that there are some dishonest people, but over the years, have always felt it is only a very small number. There are other reasons why buyers don't get their packages, and that includes

Incorrect addressing   (OK we all send check carefully, but mistakes are possible)

Other household members bringing in the mail and putting them aside without saying anything

Delivery to wrong addresses. These often find their way back to sender but can take months

I always ask buyers to wait just a few more days, and very often they turn up in that time. Not because they have sudden desire to be honest, or avoid being questioned by AP. Simply because they turned up.

I have on occasion felt that I was being taken for a chump, and then, suddenly package comes back to me. Twice totally correct in address but undelivered. Glad I did not make them feel I did not believe them!

I've been doing this a long time, over 15 years on two sites. Before that a shop and market stalls. Sadly there is dishonesty in every form of selling. But what I lose in the very occasional refund is nothing compared to what I used to lose in shoplifting.

I no longer get upset about it for long. I just deal with it straight away and forget about it. Sometimes buyers even pay me for items I have already refunded.

There has been occasion when I have received refunds for items not received. It was done with grace and I was most appreciative. There was no ill feeling, and they as a result kept me as a customer, one for many years.

I would have been mortified if they indicated even in a subtle way that I was just having them on. I may have just even said

"forget it, Its OK" if only a small amount. Not worth it.

Look at your statistics.

In mine less than 1% parcels lost and refunded. Some of these would have just got lost, maybe some dishonesty somewhere. But we can't judge everyone on the basis of a few dishonest people.

Be polite, ask them to wait. Then refund when you run out of time. Then get back to work and list another item that will cover the cost and forget about it.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Hey, thank you. I am grateful you took the time to write such an excellent response.

I will take your advice .

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

This is gold. Thank you. I need to add a bar code to my packages. Really appreciate your advice. 

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

great advice. Thank you.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply