MANAGED PAYMENTS PROMISE BY eBAY IS A BROKEN PROMISE

I have been on eBay 10 Years plus. eBay promised managed payments would be better than PayPal - it is worse. There is no longer capped payments at $400- 2.5% is charged after $400 in fees is reached, and I pay the fees (nearly 12%) on the taxes eBay collects from foreign people to pay foreign governments. Seriously? eBay currently has nearly $16K of my money on hold- some of it will be on hold for a month because eBay see the sale as too high in monetary value to trust the release of the money to me. However, eBay trust the release of my high value item to someone in  a foreign country.  This is claimed to be some security measure when I sell a high value item- more likely they are playing the money market. So  technically this 'hold' is, I allege. stealing because my goods have been delivered but I don't have the payment for it. Despite the fact I am a proven seller of over 10 years eBay treats me like a criminal enterprise and not to be trusted with payment for my goods. No other platform holds my money up waiting for delivery when I sell an item. Not even a bank. Perhaps eBay customer service should also have their wages held up until sellers are satisfied with each customer service reps performance. 

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

For mine, managed payments leaves paypal in a giant pile of doo doo

Alleging what ever you like does not make it so

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Tough way to manage cashflow when your money is held for that long.  Selling high value items on ebay - you're braver than I am that's for sure.

Regarding MP vs Paypal, I don't think they 'promised' anything.  I recall the language was along the lines of "fees will be reduced for most sellers" or words to that effect.  I think that has proven the case for most sellers.  Obviously not in your case.  Personally I'd pay money to never have to deal with Paypal again and I find MP vastly better and slightly cheaper than before.

Finally, unless I am mistaken, it would be illegal for Ebay to earn interest on held funds.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Managed Payments aren't cheaper, my shop fees have gone up 50% in recent months and they no longer cap high value items so I pay 2.5% after the first $400. They also introduced charging fees to sellers for the taxes eBay collects for the foreign buyers foreign government. In regard to your "illegal" comments- don't make statements about something you know very little about. However, be assured that eBay has policies to try and circumvent the law and has taken actions that are illegal. For example "cyberstalking and harassment campaign conducted in 2019 against an online newsletter led to charges made public in 2020 against seven members of eBay's global security team, as well as arrests of two of those charged. Wenig, the company's CEO at the time of the harassment campaign, has not been charged."

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

I can allege holding my money up for a month is stealing and that is because if it is delivered that means the buyer has the goods but eBay is intercepting me being paid for the item even once delivered. I have accounts to pay and eBay is holding money for unreasonable and extended periods of time. I am running a business and have accounts to pay.

The math

Prior to managed payments my fees

Domestic and International -About 50% of sales to each

PayPal 2.2%

eBay 8.5%

Total is 10.7%

Featured Shop $54.95

Fees capped at $400 on high value items

Since managed payments my fees

Domestic 

eBay 10.7%

Fees at 10.7% then capped at $400 on high value items but charged at 2.5% after capped $400

International

Fees at 11.7% then capped at $400 on high value items but charged at 2.5% after capped $400

Fees at 11.7% for all taxes paid by buyer to eBay and collected for a foreign government. Taxes are added to the sales total and seller pays fees on the total.

Featured Shop $74.95

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Apparently buyers are now deserting paypal in droves, sufficient to drop the share price.

$2500.00 penalty everytime PP consider a user, buyer or seller, is supplying false information.

PP,  Judge, Jury and Executioner

Now, of course, it was an accidental leak, never intended to see the light of day. (Yet)

Would you be game enough to make a PP claim,or attempt to defend one.  Not I.

By the way,  It is Illegal for ebay to use money that is placed on hold, for any purpose and as such it does not accrue interest.  Fact.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

$400?  You forgot a zero.

It's 2.75% after $4,000

eBay Stores selling fees | eBay

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

I question where you're getting the figures you're quoting.

All the fees are in the link I gave.

And prior to MP, I can't remember when ebay fees were as low as 8.5%

That was at least a decade ago, if not more.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

I can allege holding my money up for a month is stealing and that is because if it is delivered that means the buyer has the goods but eBay is intercepting me being paid for the item even once delivered. I have accounts to pay and eBay is holding money for unreasonable and extended periods of time. I am running a business and have accounts to pay.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is nothing  in managed payments that state, funds will be released simply because an item shows as delivered.

While I can sympathize with your plight, no one here is privy to your personal situation or what internal or external factors may be involved in your funds being placed on hold.    Ebay is required to meet numerous legal obligations in relation to your funds, with the only benefit to ebay from holds, being the mitigation of losses due to security issues.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply