Managed Payments Nightmare

Hi All - eBay stopped our payouts on 18th April as we needed to apparently supply more information - CS told me this was because the DOB of the business stakeholder did not match what was on the drivers licence (all of a sudden) - We updated this several times but kept getting the message. Contacted many people in MP and was told on Friday by chat that they have all the info they need and it is all verified so they will raise a ticket with IT to get it fixed and release payments - Saturday we made no sales (it's an anchor store - typically we sell 20-50 product each day) Sunday no sales - back onto chat - this time I'm told that they can see the IT ticket but it hasn't been actioned yet and that their system could not verify my ABN (been live on MP for almost 2 months at this stage with no issues) - Explained there was only a field in the business info section for an ACN not an ABN so I can't put it there and all sales had stopped - what was the issue.... Technical problem - they will lodge another ticket with IT and get back to me in 48 hours. Today I get a cut and paste message saying that because we have not supplied the information they need ebay has decided they are not the right platform for us and we are to part ways? No reply at all to my follow up as yet but they have many 000's$ of our money and buyers orders are being cancelled automatically and refunded. The question is does anyone know  where we turn to get the several thousand dollars they are holding released - FOS can't help as they are not a regulated financial institution....OFT maybe if so anyone know which state - tried QLD where we are and they were not able to help because ebay is not an Australian Registered business   - anyone with any similar problems that can give a steer? Thanks all   

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Adyen is the payment processor and definitely fall under the FOS's umbrella.

eBay Australia is registered in NSW and has an ACN and an ABN.

Can't help any further, sorry.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Try this link (I know your acct has not been hacked but this seems to be the only way to talk to a human)

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/account/protecting-account/get-help-hacked-account?id=4196#contactWay

Scroll to bottom and Have Us Call You

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

If I am viewing the correct ASIC details, then it would appear your Co is part of a family Trust, with the representative being an alternative private company.

Apparently  Trusts are not compatible with  Managed Payments, dont know if your ebay account details are currently accurate and  match with ASIC  etc.

Might pay to talk to your accountant

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

You are being told something quite different to other sellers in similar circumstances - it's true that for whatever reason, eBay don't seem equipped to deal with businesses that are trusts or partnerships, despite having an option to register for MP under these structures (seriously, how hard would be it be disable this option and include some info somewhere on what to do if you're being asked to register?), but other sellers have just been kept on with PayPal or - if they were registered with MP - meant to be switched back, so it seems they are handling your case differently. 

The other weird thing is that of those that were switched over to MP, payouts were held from the get-go, but it soulds like you've been on MP for a while without issue until now? 

I see you still have listings up - I take it by "parting ways" eBay are leaving it up to you to... just close up shop? Either that or it's a system generated message that doesn't bear any relevance. In any case, if no one can buy anything successfully at the moment, it may be better to put the store in time away until it gets sorted.

I'd still try AFCA (re: Adyen) for the outstanding funds, as well. 

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks to everyone for their comments, after some assistance from the admins on the ebay sellers australia facebook group, (thank-you)  the issue was escalated to someone in sydney - I still do not have any clear understanding of exactly what the issue is or what additional information they need but for the moment the account is back in action, making sales and receiving payouts. It does seem that Trusts and Partnerships are the problem and as suggested many sellers with these structures have been left on the paypal system which hopefully will avoid issues for them until ebay get it sorted out.

It is astounding that with a great many businesses being set up as trusts and after well over a year of 'sprooking' managed payments to sellers ebay did not get their ducks in a row on this issue before launching but it is what appears to be the cause of the problem.

I assume at some point we will be contacted and asked for whatever additional information it is that they need but so far 'no news' appears to be 'good news'.  BTW OFT were not remotely interested - only advice they could offer was file a claim with small claims court for unpaid invoices.  It wasn't necessary in the end but I doubt it would have been worthwhile as there are no invoices sent from the seller to ebay and certified copes are required plus I have dealt with QCAT before and they are effectively powerless to do anything but send an official looking letter telling the debtor to pay - if they ignore it QCAT refer you to talk to a lawyer.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

AFCA will not assist as Ayden is not registered with them.

crossed that bridge yesterday

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply